Using our best players

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Using our best players

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

If the Os had the two best goalkeepers in the league then it would make sense to play them both simultaneously. Right?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Using our best players

Post by Disoriented »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 pm If the Os had the two best goalkeepers in the league then it would make sense to play them both simultaneously. Right?
Eh?
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Well of course not I hear you cry. So why is Embleton doing it with our centre halfs? I expect Turkey will soon ba back to give us four players in that role - whilst midfield continues to be overwhelmed
I’m a fan of Clay but he looked out of his depth yesterday and Wright is just a luxury - pretty passes but no product - he’s look cool alongside Messi perhaps - but in an understaffed midfield he looks pony
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

So you admit the midfield isn’t good enough but want to drop a defender, presumably for a midfielder?
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Drop a defender and have 2 wingers, of which we have decent ones.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Yes and Yes

It’s poor management to put best players in without thinking about the balance of the team
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Story of O wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:47 pm Drop a defender and have 2 wingers, of which we have decent ones.
Which 2 wingers have we not been playing ?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Story of O wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:47 pm Drop a defender and have 2 wingers, of which we have decent ones.
Agreed, back to 4-4-2 with Brophy and JMD on the wings
BelgianO
Fresh Alias

Post by BelgianO »

Was there yesterday and was surprised JMD didnt come on...he is top notch when he plays!
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

JMD was useless in the first two games and rightly dropped.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

He should have come on for Clay when he went off (or ten minutes earlier). We didn’t need another similar player to come on and sit deep. Stevenage weren’t troubling ya and I’d like to see a foreword thinking midfielder come on to change things up.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

The whole point of substitutions is supposed to be to improve the team that are playing. For the last few years whenever we make substitutions we play worst. The whole team seems to lose its shape. This was exactly the same on Saturday. Managers seem to think that substitutions are compulsory. If they don't improve the 11 that are out there why bother?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

bobo66 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm The whole point of substitutions is supposed to be to improve the team that are playing. For the last few years whenever we make substitutions we play worst. The whole team seems to lose its shape. This was exactly the same on Saturday. Managers seem to think that substitutions are compulsory. If they don't improve the 11 that are out there why bother?
I couldn't figure out what shape we were playing at the end, thought we were going 4-4-2 for a moment but didn't look like it. Dennis seemed to move upfront but then popped up on the left and Brophy was left, right then left again. Couldn't fathom it by the time FT came.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm
bobo66 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm The whole point of substitutions is supposed to be to improve the team that are playing. For the last few years whenever we make substitutions we play worst. The whole team seems to lose its shape. This was exactly the same on Saturday. Managers seem to think that substitutions are compulsory. If they don't improve the 11 that are out there why bother?
I couldn't figure out what shape we were playing at the end, thought we were going 4-4-2 for a moment but didn't look like it. Dennis seemed to move upfront but then popped up on the left and Brophy was left, right then left again. Couldn't fathom it by the time FT came.
It wasn't particularly hard to work out. It was the same shape. Happe came off, Widdowson moved to lcb, Brophy to lwb, Dennis to amc and Harrold up top.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm
It wasn't particularly hard to work out. It was the same shape. Happe came off, Widdowson moved to lcb, Brophy to lwb, Dennis to amc and Harrold up top.
I'm with gshaw on this. I struggled to see much shape at all towards the end of the game. Where they were supposed to play and where they were actually playing are two different things. Bit of a mishmash to me and hard to see any real shape at all. I thought towards the end we looked really ragged and could well have lost it as Stevenage to me finished the better side for a short while.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm with gshaw on this. I struggled to see much shape at all towards the end of the game. Where they were supposed to play and where they were actually playing are two different things. Bit of a mishmash to me and hard to see any real shape at all. I thought towards the end we looked really ragged and could well have lost it as Stevenage to me finished the better side for a short while.
I think that says more about you than anything else.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

I think that says more about you than anything else.
What it says is that I look objectively at what is happening on the field of play despite wanting, hoping for, praying for a positive outcome. We looked ragged and tired near the end and Stevenage could have nicked it, they very nearly did. I don't wear rose tinted glasses at games. We lost all shape following the substitutions and if there was a system being adopted it was sloppy.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Interesting that Ross also rates Widdowson as a better centre half than Happe, just as Justin did.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Interesting that Ross also rates Widdowson as a better centre half than Happe, just as Justin did.
Happe picked up a knock just before he came off. I personally think Widdowson's best position is central defence.