Blue Cards

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Celtient
Fresh Alias

Re: Blue Cards

Post by Celtient »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:01 pm
Celtient wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:18 pm Of course they are. They may not deliberately go in to a tackle with the intention of kicking someone on the shin, but by the careless and clumsy nature of the tackle, they know they ain't winning the ball
You come out with such a load of crap!
I thought that one of the conditions of your release from Broadmoor was that you weren't allowed access to the Internet. I will alert the appropriate authorities
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I think I’m the only one who thinks this has some merit to it
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Yes
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Thinking of a situation where there’s a counter attack, 80th min, 2 defenders, 4 attackers. Very likely it will be a goal so a defender who hasn’t been booked just kicks the player with the ball. A yellow card is nowhere near enough punishment. If that team had to play the last 10 mins with ten men it would feel more fitting
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

I fully except cynical fouls stopping the opposition breaking etc need to be punished, but I find it ironic that a nasty foul, orange borderline red, will remain a just a yellow.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:29 am I think I’m the only one who thinks this has some merit to it
There are already rules in place that can address all of this though, if applied consistently and properly.

It’s a thing in football that’s just become accepted - referees are given novel “directives”on how to interpret the law - see, for example the amount of time added on after the last World Cup started measuring lost time a bit more carefully.

The only rule change I’d really get behind is having yellow cards apply to the team, not just the player - so if a yellow carded player is substituted, his replacement comes in on a yellow. I’d do this only because of recent changes to allow more subs, which effectively means the deeper your squad, the more you can plan in for receiving a few yellows without any risk, which seems contrary to the spirit of the game.

almost everything else - time wasting, dissent etc can be addressed by proper implementation of what’s already there.

Aside from, as HA mentioned, penalties - the game has changed so much that the “penalty area” being seen as the area in which a foul merits most punishment is archaic, and that results in visible, obvious unfairness - a team plays a risky high line and a defender hacks down a speedy player 45 yards from goal who breaks it - a yellow and a free kick and a sense that a team has been robbed of a certain goal. A mediocre winger is running down a blind alley and gets a nudge just inside the area and goes down because he can see that there’s no passing option, and gets a pen for it. Doesn’t make sense at all
CEB

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:45 am Thinking of a situation where there’s a counter attack, 80th min, 2 defenders, 4 attackers. Very likely it will be a goal so a defender who hasn’t been booked just kicks the player with the ball. A yellow card is nowhere near enough punishment. If that team had to play the last 10 mins with ten men it would feel more fitting

Far better addressed by a rethink of what counts as denial of a goal scoring opportunity, and a rethink of the situations for which a penalty kick should be awarded
CEB

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:45 am Thinking of a situation where there’s a counter attack, 80th min, 2 defenders, 4 attackers. Very likely it will be a goal so a defender who hasn’t been booked just kicks the player with the ball. A yellow card is nowhere near enough punishment. If that team had to play the last 10 mins with ten men it would feel more fitting
The other problem with this is that a player who had just started a family might alert suspicions that he’d got himself blue carded deliberately because he’d heard his baby crying and wanted to just nip into the stands for five minutes to give it a quick suckle
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Jesus Christ
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

I’d need to watch it back but that sounds like a red card offence to me.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:48 am I fully except cynical fouls stopping the opposition breaking etc need to be punished, but I find it ironic that a nasty foul, orange borderline red, will remain a just a yellow.
What do you want, a grading system?

We just need refs to apply the yellows and reds for fouls consistently, that’s all.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I've suggested before dissent and cynical acts should see the free kick moved forward 50 yards.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

50?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:40 am50?
Don’t talk back, that’s another 50.

Oops, goal kick.
CEB

Post by CEB »

The problem with disproportionate sanctions like that is they disincentivise referees to take action
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

I’m probably wrong, but I swear I remember Keane, Vieira et all getting red cards for swearing/abusing refs in the 90s

Easy way to cut out dissent
CEB

Post by CEB »

But also, some referees warrant a bit of dissent. I mean, can you imagine an instance in which someone having a word with OFF during a game in which OFF was right?
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:24 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:21 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:55 pm I’d say yes, easily.

My count tonight will confirm 😀
Update please.
It was 89% accidental fouls and just 14% deliberate. Case closed.
Blimey, the ref must have been crap. Genuinely accidental collisions shouldn't really be given as a foul. There has to be carelessness, recklessness or excessive force involved for it to be considered a foul according to the laws of the game.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Infantino just given an interview confirming there will be no blue cards, finally some common sense prevails
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

gshaw wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:41 pm Infantino just given an interview confirming there will be no blue cards, finally some common sense prevails
Red card to the blue card
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:40 am50?
Don’t talk back, that’s another 50.

Oops, goal kick.
Ends with a direct free kick on the line
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

CEB wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 am The problem with disproportionate sanctions like that is they disincentivise referees to take action
It works very well in afl, very little dissent now. Maybe 50 is too much on a football pitch, but ultimately you'll end up giving away a goal when they get close enough