RW: squad isn’t strong enough

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: RW: squad isn’t strong enough

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Must be as much fun on the Carlisle forum 🙃
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 pm
The Reverend wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:08 pm Richie clearly not happy with the Jan transfer window, going as far as having to be given a dressing down by Travis for public criticism.

Clearly he holds Ling responsible for transfer activity. During an interview back in Jan Wellens basically said transfer dealings are nothing to do with him.

Wonder if that has the potential to get toxic. Can’t see Richie sticking around at a club who don’t support him in the transfer market.
Most of us have known for some time we're too slow in the transfer market and must move more quickly in future .
Agree, more like Charlton and Carlisle did, they got in quick, even signed players before the window opened worked for them didn’t it.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:03 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:31 pm I’ve been saying for a long time Beckles isn’t the player fans think he is. He’s absolute poo poo.
He's a good player but can be too lackesdaies
Sometimes he seems to suffer from concentration lapses.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:08 pm Richie clearly not happy with the Jan transfer window, going as far as having to be given a dressing down by Travis for public criticism.

Clearly he holds Ling responsible for transfer activity. During an interview back in Jan Wellens basically said transfer dealings are nothing to do with him.

Wonder if that has the potential to get toxic. Can’t see Richie sticking around at a club who don’t support him in the transfer market.
Most of us have known for some time we're too slow in the transfer market and must move more quickly in future .
We are too slow because we are not prepared to pay wages that this division demands for good players. We only had a small budget left over in the window that could not attract any good experienced players. The club states that we have a transfer committee that sits down regularly to target players but we never get anybody in until late in the window. RW must be really frustrated as to how we ferfomed in this window. Lingy s attitude never changes towards the transfer windows .
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

We obviously ballsed up bringing a forward in in January, which the club will learn from. Other than that, the recruitment has clearly been good, or at least good enough, as we're 9th in our first season up and have a core of young talented players for next year.

An outsider looking at our position, average gates, results against big teams, would think we've smashed it this season. The amount of whinging really is odd.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Even with the player we “never got” I don’t think from what Nigel said in his interview that we ballsed it up, it seemed the club chairman reneged on the deal, either because someone came in with a better offer, or the player concerned got a better deal. Nigel phoned that chairman and told him what he thought of him. I’d rather look at what we brought into the club, two young players with a lot of potential in Ollie O’Neill and Brendan Cooper. We are going into games now without Archibald, Agyei, Happe, and Graham, and several others carrying knocks and niggles yet still giving teams a run for their money. So i’d rather look on these positives rather than the negative of the one player we never got. I know everyone has their own take on this but that’s mine.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:49 am We obviously ballsed up bringing a forward in in January, which the club will learn from. Other than that, the recruitment has clearly been good, or at least good enough, as we're 9th in our first season up and have a core of young talented players for next year.

An outsider looking at our position, average gates, results against big teams, would think we've smashed it this season. The amount of whinging really is odd.
I don't think it's odd at all. It's possible to be really pleased with how we've overachieved this season AND still see areas for improvement.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:49 am We obviously ballsed up bringing a forward in in January, which the club will learn from. Other than that, the recruitment has clearly been good, or at least good enough, as we're 9th in our first season up and have a core of young talented players for next year.

It’s not odd.

People are frustrated because we are that 1 striker away from a genuine play off push.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Every Orient fan would have taken this situation at start of the season.
To still have a squeak of play offs at this stage of the season, is exciting, enjoyable and unexpected.

Lets just enjoy the fact that this squad has overachieved so far and there will be a few bumps in the road, like yesterday.

We have a very young squad, and it’s short on numbers and been hit by injuries throughout the season, but we have still held our own on our return to L1.

This season will be a massive building block for next season & will make this squad stronger for next season.

In RW we trust 💪🏻
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Who was it we missed out on ? I believe it was Mo Eisa the out of favour MK Dons striker, who I believe went to Exeter, 5 appearances 1 goal. Anyone any other ideas ?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Don’t know. Richie said there were 2 candidates but didn’t name either, obviously.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

I think you might be correct, it was rumoured to be Mo Eisa, but never confirmed
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Stan1972 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:16 pm

Let’s just enjoy the fact that this squad has overachieved
Has it? We’ve supposedly got a middle third budget so should expect a middle third finish, all things being equal.

Even now, with the injuries that we have, we’re still that 1 striker away from being a top 6 side. Enjoy where we are, for sure, but people can still see how close we are to being in contention for something.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

I think we have yes, I honestly didn’t think we would be sitting 9th with a squeak of play offs at start of the season, with 13 games to go.
I thought we would be bottom half to mid table.
So to be where we are with no threat of relegation, and looking up instead of looking down, for me is more than I expected this season.
I obviously, like most O’s fans, wanted us to have a flirt with the pay offs, and finish in Top 10, but realistically did I believe we could, probably not, which is why I said, I think being 9th flirting with play offs, we have over achieved.
My opinion 😉
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

But by definition, we haven’t over achieved. Our budget is middle third, so we’re told, so finishing between 9th and 16th is to be expected.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:43 pm But by definition, we haven’t over achieved. Our budget is middle third, so we’re told, so finishing between 9th and 16th is to be expected.
QQ, and not being difficult or argumentative, Honest answer did you expect us to be sitting 9th in top half of table or bottom half of table nearer 16th with 13 games to go.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Stan1972 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:49 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:43 pm But by definition, we haven’t over achieved. Our budget is middle third, so we’re told, so finishing between 9th and 16th is to be expected.
QQ, and not being difficult or argumentative, Honest answer did you expect us to be sitting 9th in top half of table or bottom half of table nearer 16th with 13 games to go.
Plus we were in 8th before the game yesterday.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I expected us to be comfortably top half.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:00 pm
Plus we were in 8th before the game yesterday.
So at the upper end of expectations based on budget, but not overachieved.

What is incredible is how we’ve managed to meet expectation with so many injuries to some pretty important players.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

moonwalk19 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:37 am

We are too slow because we are not prepared to pay wages that this division demands for good players. We only had a small budget left over in the window that could not attract any good experienced players. The club states that we have a transfer committee that sits down regularly to target players but we never get anybody in until late in the window. RW must be really frustrated as to how we ferfomed in this window. Lingy s attitude never changes towards the transfer windows .
You are wrong (not uncommon) We pay decent wages for L1 but we can't compete with top 8 clubs and never will so what are you expecting? All things considered I'm happy with our squad and our League position. Spending money on Cooper, Graham and Forde set us back and meant we had less to spend in January.

Signing players late in the summer window proved to be a bullshit notion put out by anti Lingers and I see you are continuing along that line.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Top of the JES wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm

You are wrong (not uncommon) We pay decent wages for L1 but we can't compete with top 8 clubs and never will so what are you expecting? All things considered I'm happy with our squad and our League position. Spending money on Cooper, Graham and Forde set us back and meant we had less to spend in January.

Signing players late in the summer window proved to be a bullshit notion put out by anti Lingers and I see you are continuing along that line.
Don’t believe we spent any money on Forde- he’s on loan.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

redintheface wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:45 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Don’t believe we spent any money on Forde- he’s on loan.
We are paying some of his wages.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

For a first season back in League 1, I’m really happy where we are, not worrying about relegation looking forward to the games watching the young team getting better and better, what’s not to like . Yes I’d love to be up there challenging in the top 6, but realistically this is more than I expected at the beginning of the season. It’s certainly more than I thought could happen when we were in the National League just before Justin became Manager. Up the O’s
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

We have established ourselves as a L1 team again, so now it’s down to the club to back RW to take us to the next level.
We need a squad of players to push and challenge top 6 next season.
We have a very young and take away the loans, a very small squad.
Big investment into the team needed for next season.

El Miz & Shaq Forde - need to sign on permanent contracts, with El Miz made top priority, closely followed by Shaq.

GK
Then we need to sign a GK permanently.
Defence
we need 1 CB & 1 FB permanent signings.
Then add 1 CB on loan
Midfield
1 x CM 1 x ACM permanently
Pratts cant go on forever and as well as Moncs has played over last few games, he should be moved on next season.
Forwards wide
We need 1 x winger on loan, to push Theo, O’Neil and Graham
Strikers
We all know we need a No.9!!!!
We have Dan Agyei, Ruel and hopefully Shaq Forde, but need that experienced No.9 goalscorer that we have missed and craved this season.

So I make that 8 permanent signings (including El Miz & Shaq) & 2 loans
Good luck with my shopping list Lingy and team 😉
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

According to RW we haven't got a hope of signing Shaq. Watford rate him and despite him only being 19 his salary would be beyond us! Best is likely to be another loan but I would be all in favour of that.

We would certainly benefit from a permanent first choice keeper, Of all the positions keeper is easiest to fill.

Centre Backs will depend on whether Happe stays One if he does Two if he goes. FB probably a first choice left back either that or give Sweeney a run.

Midfield I genuinely think we have a shot at signing Idris he wants to sign and we have made two offers to buy him but Ipswich have a one year option and not prepared to let him go.....yet. I agree we need an attacking central midfielder and a DCM.

We need two strikers to go alongside DanA. Ruel and hopefully Forde, Mo Eisa is on loan at Exeter but is out of contract in summer he would be realistic 1 in 3 in leagues 1&2 . We should try and move on Pigott, there were some whispers about him heading back to AFC Wimbledon in January so maybe that could happen.

I would also like to see Pegram get more minutes the bloke has massive potential and needs to be in and round the team - same with Obeiro.