Fitness

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Fitness

Post by gshaw »

Last 10 mins today the players looked shattered, hands on hips territory. Last season they seemed able to go full steam right to the final whistle.

Is it down to the step up in level, change in coaching staff or perhaps the playing style?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Fitness

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I dunno is clay picked up a knock but he was blowing out of his arse and barley chasing back from about 65 mins on. Maybe his mysterious flu is back.

They put in effort as a team, I can’t take that from them but lots of running and not a lot of quality.
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

The line up is a problem as well as the fitness
Ling cant cross please drop him for dennis better going forward
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Dennis isn't a full/wing back.
Bottomley’s Ghost
Fresh Alias

Post by Bottomley’s Ghost »

Watched the live stream as was out of the country. They seemed to think Clay had a knock. They also pointed out that we’re not playing part-timers any more. Teams we’re coming up against are fitter than they were last season.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 pm Last 10 mins today the players looked shattered, hands on hips territory. Last season they seemed able to go full steam right to the final whistle.

Is it down to the step up in level, change in coaching staff or perhaps the playing style?
The step up a level IMO. In their programme notes both Ross and Coulson obliquely referred to the fact the step up has caught them out.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

EliotNes wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 pm Last 10 mins today the players looked shattered, hands on hips territory. Last season they seemed able to go full steam right to the final whistle.

The step up a level IMO. In their programme notes both Ross and Coulson obliquely referred to the fact the step up has caught them out.
That's poor preparation then.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 pm Watched the live stream as was out of the country. They seemed to think Clay had a knock. They also pointed out that we’re not playing part-timers any more. Teams we’re coming up against are fitter than they were last season.
We didn't play against exclusively part time teams last season though - in fact, I'd estimate that only around a third were. So it's not just that.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

EliotNes wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Really?
My god that is worrying.
You have stepped up a league and every opposition team is full time and they are surprised there is a difference?
I can see the club making a change sooner than what I thought.
Bottomley’s Ghost
Fresh Alias

Post by Bottomley’s Ghost »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:27 pm
Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 pm Watched the live stream as was out of the country. They seemed to think Clay had a knock. They also pointed out that we’re not playing part-timers any more. Teams we’re coming up against are fitter than they were last season.
We didn't play against exclusively part time teams last season though - in fact, I'd estimate that only around a third were. So it's not just that.
No, but if you’re winning comfortably (e.g. Braintree away) the last 30 minutes becomes a training exercise and you can take that energy saved into the next match. Over the course of a season that can mount up. Although we’re probably also paying for the much more intense end to last season.
Pilsbury
Fresh Alias

Post by Pilsbury »

I seem to recall Ling senior underestimating what was required when we were previously promoted - from League Two to League One when he was manager, I think we were a few points adrift at the bottom of the league one table come December. We survived relegation a game or two before the end of that season. I can, of course understand the terrible event the Club has had to try and overcome during the Summer, but would nevertheless hope that Ling senior used that previous experience going in to the current season. Hoping we are in a better league position than that previous promoted side Over the coming months and that we will be a league two club, at least, come the end of the current season so we will be well placed to push on from there.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:33 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:27 pm
No, but if you’re winning comfortably (e.g. Braintree away) the last 30 minutes becomes a training exercise and you can take that energy saved into the next match. Over the course of a season that can mount up. Although we’re probably also paying for the much more intense end to last season.
Fair comment. But we have only just played our fourth game, so it shouldn't be an issue yet. Wonder how it will affect us for Tuesday.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Pilsbury wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm I seem to recall Ling senior underestimating what was required when we were previously promoted - from League Two to League One when he was manager, I think we were a few points adrift at the bottom of the league one table come December. We survived relegation a game or two before the end of that season. I can, of course understand the terrible event the Club has had to try and overcome during the Summer, but would nevertheless hope that Ling senior used that previous experience going in to the current season. Hoping we are in a better league position than that previous promoted side Over the coming months and that we will be a league two club, at least, come the end of the current season so we will be well placed to push on from there.
Personally I think he's made the same mistake again. Seen far too many people saying there's no difference between NL and L2... there absolutely is.

We played some real tinpot sides last season that could barely fill a subs bench, let alone compete on a technical level. Won't get away with that now.

Also think our pre-season was far too easy, playing part time teams and having a stroll in the park not great prep for stepping up a level imo.