Interest Rates

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Interest Rates

Post by Daily Express bot »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:25 am
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 am
That's the point. It is relative. And, when adjusted, currently homeowners have it just as bad as you did. And renters have it much worse than you did.
What about landlords, how is it for them? How comes they're never considered in these discussions?
I personally have never rented rates are quite low compared with average past 30 years. Prices are high rarely go down but private landlords are supporting the country’s housing stock a great deal . There are too few homes fore the population.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Is this account really a bot?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:35 am
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 am
That's the point. It is relative. And, when adjusted, currently homeowners have it just as bad as you did. And renters have it much worse than you did.
What about landlords, how is it for them? How comes they're never considered in these discussions?
I personally have never rented rates are quite low compared with average past 30 years. Prices are high rarely go down but private landlords are supporting the country’s housing stock a great deal . There are too few homes fore the population.
Landlords are part of the problem. Plenty of people have taken 2nd and 3rd properties to rent out at rates that would be equivalent to mortgages, whilst running down the quality of the property because they are only interested in the return on their investment and the occupier has very little concern for the property other than it being liveable. Homes of multiple occupancy are worse still. Just about fit for purpose for students and those unable to afford renting a flat. The conditions in which they live, together with those they are prepared to accept because of the cost, is unimaginable to many of us. I get to see a fair bit of both types of property in my business - and particularly the attitude of the landlords. There needs to be far more regulation of standards in the rental sector IMO.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:09 pm Homes of multiple occupancy are worse still. Just about fit for purpose for students and those unable to afford renting a flat. The conditions in which they live, together with those they are prepared to accept because of the cost, is unimaginable to many of us. I get to see a fair bit of both types of property in my business - and particularly the attitude of the landlords. There needs to be far more regulation of standards in the rental sector IMO.
Landlords of these properties are the lowest of the low.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:09 pm

Landlords are part of the problem. Plenty of people have taken 2nd and 3rd properties to rent out at rates that would be equivalent to mortgages, whilst running down the quality of the property because they are only interested in the return on their investment and the occupier has very little concern for the property other than it being liveable. Homes of multiple occupancy are worse still. Just about fit for purpose for students and those unable to afford renting a flat. The conditions in which they live, together with those they are prepared to accept because of the cost, is unimaginable to many of us. I get to see a fair bit of both types of property in my business - and particularly the attitude of the landlords. There needs to be far more regulation of standards in the rental sector IMO.
I got to the third line of your paragraph and have to pull your reins in. Do you realise that Landords cannot ‘run down the standards’ as Property Licensing which Landlords pay for prevent this with severe penalties for this ignoring regulations. Some penalties involve having the property seized , managed by the council and fines running into tens of thousands. You are on a non-starter and have been given duff information. It may have been the case years ago but almost impossible to act like that now. There are numerous articles on line of those who have suffered as a consequence of running poor HMOs.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:09 pm There needs to be far more regulation of standards in the rental sector IMO.
Local Authorities do not receive anywhere near enough funding to properly resource the detection and prosecution of these b*stard landlords.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Relentless.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm There are numerous articles on line of those who have suffered as a consequence of running poor HMOs.
Hope they're ok too.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm

I got to the third line of your paragraph and have to pull your reins in. Do you realise that Landords cannot ‘run down the standards’ as Property Licensing which Landlords pay for prevent this with severe penalties for this ignoring regulations. Some penalties involve having the property seized , managed by the council and fines running into tens of thousands. You are on a non-starter and have been given duff information. It may have been the case years ago but almost impossible to act like that now. There are numerous articles on line of those who have suffered as a consequence of running poor HMOs.
The licensing to which you refer is only really relevant if correctly policed. It is not. I come across enough errant landlords each year to fill a block in the TJS stand.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:53 pm
Daily Express bot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm
The licensing to which you refer is only really relevant if correctly policed. It is not. I come across enough errant landlords each year to fill a block in the TJS stand.
Well I can only comment on two Boroughs as I deal with them regularly and can assure you that they are run very efficiently and robustly. Works both ways too as if there are ever any issues with antisocial behaviour in a neighbourhood, a complaint generates a prompt response.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

This is the kind of action Waltham Forest take:

https://newsroom.walthamforest.gov.uk/p ... e-landlord