Orients player budget

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Orients player budget

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Joe315 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:11 pm
Joe315 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm

But they reached the Premier League while having under 11000 capacity.
Yes, I know .
Good.
This is another reason why we all know you're Tuffers because Just like Tuffers you have to have the last word . You've made it too obvious :D
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:23 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Yes, I know .
Good.
This is another reason why we all know you're Tuffers because Just like Tuffers you have to have the last word . You've made it too obvious :D
I'm Joe , accept that fact & you can have the last word.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Joe315 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:26 pm

Good.
Yeah, all right ;)
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 pm
Joe315 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:53 pm

Luton currently play at a 10000 odd capacity stadium
In the Premier League.
That's why they want a new ground . Their current one isn't big enough .
Even with such a modest attendance that extra over us probably delivers £1m+ per season more. It will be interesting to see if they incurred huge losses too. But of course getting there with a small ground is clearly possible as some clubs have proven. So the money comes from somewhere and that’s likely to be owners. Wrong to expect our current owners to do more than the exceptional generosity they have already demonstrated.

Realistically we need to be satisfied becoming a solid league1 team. As things stand, that is where we are and a site better than a few years ago.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Good.
Yeah and I’m groot, who else you under I wonder,Solomon,hoover? Someone like tuffers can’t stop themselves,they have nothing better to do,it’s there life, try golf,tennis or bowling or even spoons go for a walk. Enjoy life if you can.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

We're in the top half of League 1 for attendances, two of the teams challenging for the automatics (Oxford and Peterborough) have average gates which are about 500 higher per game than us. We aren't going to be one of the biggest spenders at this level but nor should we be massively outgunned save for the biggest 3 or 4 clubs.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:42 pm

Yeah and I’m groot, who else you under I wonder,Solomon,hoover? Someone like tuffers can’t stop themselves,they have nothing better to do,it’s there life, try golf,tennis or bowling or even spoons go for a walk. Enjoy life if you can.
I'm Joe
If you are groot good luck with that.
I play Golf regularly I walk my dog & enjoy my
family time, children keep you entertained.
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Dohnut wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:29 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 pm

That's why they want a new ground . Their current one isn't big enough .
Even with such a modest attendance that extra over us probably delivers £1m+ per season more. It will be interesting to see if they incurred huge losses too. But of course getting there with a small ground is clearly possible as some clubs have proven. So the money comes from somewhere and that’s likely to be owners. Wrong to expect our current owners to do more than the exceptional generosity they have already demonstrated.

Realistically we need to be satisfied becoming a solid league1 team. As things stand, that is where we are and a site better than a few years ago.
For some that have never experienced the Championship (Old Division 2 ) or Premiership (Old Division 1) with the O’s they maybe satisfied with becoming a solid League 1 team but that is not for me.Having witnessed real success with the O’s anything less than the Championship (Old Division 2) with a possibility of Premiership (Old Division 1) is a long term failure.
Before any idiot suggests I change team, I would never do that .Once an Orient supporter, always an Orient supporter which I have now been for 67 years.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Big capacity does not guarantee success. Sunderland are a prime example, 48000 seats but still took a few years to get out of League 1
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Story of O wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:12 pm Big capacity does not guarantee success. Sunderland are a prime example, 48000 seats but still took a few years to get out of League 1
And getting played off pitch today
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

spen666 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:35 am
moonwalk19 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:37 am The Orient board have a 3 year plan with an optimistic view of getting us into the championship. To survive in the championship we need to increase the annual playing budget by several million pounds . I cannot see where this extra money can be achieved without interesting more board members. With capacity crowds of over 8000 per match this season we are still going to incur according to Nigel losses of over £1.5 m this season and that’s with a budget of the middle order of teams in L1 . Yesterday I read that Ipswich have received offers of around 100k for El Miz from 4 clubs that have been rejected. We were not even one of those clubs probably because we cannot even compete at that level with the remainder of this seasons budget. So there is a risk we might be losing one of best players very soon.With the majority of clubs in the championship losing around 10 m every season. I cannot see us anywhere near surviving at that level. What are the thoughts of the forum
It's always we need until it actually comes to paying.

You say the club need extra income so what are you doing about it? Are you giving extra funds to the club? Or do you expect others to do so instead yo satisfy your demands.
If I won the lottery I would consider buying into the club. Any extra funds I have at this moment of time would not even sponser a player
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

With a new East Stand (which would have to come out into the road a bit. Over to you, LBWF) and a second tier on the North Stand capacity could increase by c.3-4K. This would increase budget and be enough for the Championship

What the club need to do is heavily incentivise the hundreds of non-attending STH for sold out games. That way matches are a sell out and there is additional revenue on tickets already sold.

A winning team playing attractive football is the only way to ensure all of that happens.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:38 pm With a new East Stand (which would have to come out into the road a bit. Over to you, LBWF) and a second tier on the North Stand capacity could increase by c.3-4K. This would increase budget and be enough for the Championship

What the club need to do is heavily incentivise the hundreds of non-attending STH for sold out games. That way matches are a sell out and there is additional revenue on tickets already sold.

A winning team playing attractive football is the only way to ensure all of that happens.
As LBWF have already said yes to some kind of fanzone in principle on Brisbane Road, It wouldn't be much of a stretch to allow kerbside & another 4-5 feet for a new east stand.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:38 pm With a new East Stand (which would have to come out into the road a bit. Over to you, LBWF)
This is a non starter for many reasons, not least safety on a matchday. Need to be easily anle to get emergency sevices in and crowds out.

and a second tier on the North Stand capacity could increase by c.3-4K. This would increase budget and be enough for the Championship
Unlikely to get planning permission without a big fight & possible public inquiry as it would block out light to many flats at that end in both corners. This is without the people in street behind objecting.

Then doubling capacity of that stand would mean you need extra access and egress from the stand for safety purposes.(Could be done)

Not sure there is anything much to gain here.

Club already offer financial incentives to fans to return unused STs.

This and any extra incentives need to be deducted from price club get by reselling tickets.

Overall, the income will be miniscule after deducting cost to club

Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

spen666 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:49 pm
LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:38 pm With a new East Stand (which would have to come out into the road a bit. Over to you, LBWF)
This is a non starter for many reasons, not least safety on a matchday. Need to be easily anle to get emergency sevices in and crowds out
There are 5 entrances exits on to Brisbane Road from The High Road & 2 on to Brisbane Road on the opposite side
Last edited by Tuffers#2 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:42 pm

Is Monkey Boy your real name then? I suspect that you are probably an Alias.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Joe315 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:47 pm
LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:38 pm With a new East Stand (which would have to come out into the road a bit. Over to you, LBWF) and a second tier on the North Stand capacity could increase by c.3-4K. This would increase budget and be enough for the Championship

As LBWF have already said yes to some kind of fanzone in principle on Brisbane Road, It wouldn't be much of a stretch to allow kerbside & another 4-5 feet for a new east stand.
That was my rationale. A larger East Stand could easily add another 2.5k to the capacity. The road might need to become one way and no parking but it’s very possible.

As someone else said, there are entrances elsewhere to allow access for emergency services.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

spen666 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:49 pm
This is a non starter for many reasons, not least safety on a matchday. Need to be easily anle to get emergency sevices in and crowds out.

and a second tier on the North Stand capacity could increase by c.3-4K. This would increase budget and be enough for the Championship
Unlikely to get planning permission without a big fight & possible public inquiry as it would block out light to many flats at that end in both corners. This is without the people in street behind objecting.

Then doubling capacity of that stand would mean you need extra access and egress from the stand for safety purposes.(Could be done)

Not sure there is anything much to gain here.

Club already offer financial incentives to fans to return unused STs.

This and any extra incentives need to be deducted from price club get by reselling tickets.

Overall, the income will be miniscule after deducting cost to club

But the incentive doesn’t work, does it. I sit in the East and for every ‘sold out’ match there is easily 500 empty seats for every one of these fixtures across the ground. The carrot being dangled is clearly not big enough.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Couple of problems though...

1) Devlin has already confirmed the cost would be in the region of 30 million which isn't financially viable, especially as Hearn still has control of the land it sits on

2) not sure if this is 100% but last time East Stand rebuild was mentioned Hearn talked of only allowing it if he builds a hotel in there as part of the project, which again benefits his pension fund not the club

Harsh reality is if you're going to invest at BR it needs to be bought back from Hearn. Again that would end up costing more than it's worth as I'm sure he wouldn't sell it back at the £0 profit he sneakily sold it to himself right when the club was in danger of folding.

Shame there isn't a rugby club or similar looking for a new home that we could share with to build a multi purpose stadium.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:26 pm

1) Devlin has already confirmed the cost would be in the region of 30 million which isn't financially viable, especially as Hearn still has control of the land it sits on

2) not sure if this is 100% but last time East Stand rebuild was mentioned Hearn talked of only allowing it if he builds a hotel in there as part of the project, which again benefits his pension fund not the club

Harsh reality is if you're going to invest at BR it needs to be bought back from Hearn. Again that would end up costing more than it's worth as I'm sure he wouldn't sell it back at the £0 profit he sneakily sold it to himself right when the club was in danger of folding.

Shame there isn't a rugby club or similar looking for a new home that we could share with to build a multi purpose stadium.
Long term I think we need a new stadium if we really do want to progress but obviously it will take an enormous amount of money
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Interesting it’s that much as a new stadium would ‘only’ be £70m?

Just have to hope the club stay in the Borough (or as close to it as possible) and earmark the Spitalfields site. That wouldn’t be too hard to swallow. Although no pubs etc around it would make it another identikit stadium.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:47 pm

Interesting it’s that much as a new stadium would ‘only’ be £70m?

Just have to hope the club stay in the Borough (or as close to it as possible) and earmark the Spitalfields site. That wouldn’t be too hard to swallow. Although no pubs etc around it would make it another identikit stadium.
I think the Spitelfield site is already hallmarked for housing plus any new stadium would definitely cost north of £70 million . However Waltham Forest have already said they want us to stay within the borough so the problem is if we move , where to ?
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

The Spitalfields site is owned by the City of London so out of any equation. We need a site owned by WF and I don't think they have one.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

LBWF Has land, As yet we are not enough of a pull for them to release it.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

LPE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:16 pm [.....

But the incentive doesn’t work, does it. I sit in the East and for every ‘sold out’ match there is easily 500 empty seats for every one of these fixtures across the ground. The carrot being dangled is clearly not big enough.
If you want to raise money for the club, your idea will not work

If you want to ensure seats are filled, then your idea may work