What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Dunners »

It's like the difference between me on here Mon-Fri, and then the me that exists out there.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Squid Game The Challenge.
Stunning TV
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

First squid episode didn't interest me.

Jury Duty- a fake trial, everyone is an actor except one man lead to believe its real. A lot of effort has gone into it, but just wasn't funny enough unfortunately.

My dinner with Herve- journalist interviews and spends time with Herve Villechaise (the dwarf from Man with the golden gun) Peter Dinklage plays him and nails the accent, his story not terribly interesting though.

Knock at the cabin- M Night Shalyman film with dodgy ending, shame as I enjoyed the rest of it.

The Burial- legal drama about a business deal for a funeral home. Sort of film you'd watch on a long flight.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Started watching this documentary series on Netflix. Some good quality restoration of old footage, and plenty of tips for when I become dictator.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, I am well out of date but how good is Slow Horses? Binged Series 1 in 2 nights and now half-way through S2.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Admin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:54 pm Yes, I am well out of date but how good is Slow Horses? Binged Series 1 in 2 nights and now half-way through S2.
I have that in my in-tray. Was planning on watching it over Christmas, so good to know it has board approval.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 pm It's like the difference between me on here Mon-Fri, and then the me that exists out there.
Out where?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:14 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 pm It's like the difference between me on here Mon-Fri, and then the me that exists out there.
Out where?
When I log off from 'work'.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Admin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:54 pm Yes, I am well out of date but how good is Slow Horses? Binged Series 1 in 2 nights and now half-way through S2.
Brilliant stuff. The books are good too.
I reinstated my Apple tv sub just for series 3.
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

Constanza wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:16 pm
Brilliant stuff. The books are good too.
I reinstated my Apple tv sub just for series 3.
Highly recommend The Secret Hours, which provides a gripping and deftly plotted origins story, while not explicitly identifying the characters in the tv series,but obvious clues.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Halfway through Scrublands (it's only 4 eps in total) on iPlayer and readers, I am *invested*. Crime drama set in small town Aus, not exactly an original concept (secrets, grudges, cut off from the big city etc etc) but it's really well done and the opening scene made me go "'kinell!". Been good from thereon.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Brian and Charles- film where the oddball from After Life makes a robot companion. Kind of sweet and funny.

Holmes & Watson- Will Ferrell and John C Reily Sherlock spoof which got utterly slated by critics when it was released. I found it quite chucklesome though.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Has anyone else been watching For All Mankind? And is Apple TV now making some of the best stuff available to watch?

It's a counter-factual drama that picks up from the moon landings, but imagines how events may have unfolded differently if the Soviets had got there first. Some of the differences are very subtle, but it also explores the impact of the Soviet regime being culturally dominant and confident. It's really thoughtful, and each episode pulls back another layer on the characters, the politics and how everything influences a carefully woven plot.

I'm on episode eight of the first series so far, and it has got me gripped. I hope the following series hold up. What I find incredible is how little I knew about this show before I started watching it. It's easily far superior to many other drama series that have receive more publicity and acclaim. Anyone who likes high-quality drama will not be disappointed by this.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:01 am Halfway through Scrublands (it's only 4 eps in total) on iPlayer and readers, I am *invested*. Crime drama set in small town Aus, not exactly an original concept (secrets, grudges, cut off from the big city etc etc) but it's really well done and the opening scene made me go "'kinell!". Been good from thereon.
Finished it on Friday and I Liked It. 3rd ep really good and, although it went a bit mad in a slightly rushed final ep (seems to happen so often in series these days, whether adaptations or not) was still a really good watch.
CEB

Post by CEB »

The guardian had a list of 25 Christmas films, which went a bit off piste and avoided some classics. Going through the list having a watch if the ones I hadn’t seen. Remember The Night, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred McMurray is bloody good, don’t know how it hasn’t become a festive standard like plenty of others have (some iffy racism aside)
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:11 am The guardian had a list of 25 Christmas films, which went a bit off piste and avoided some classics. Going through the list having a watch if the ones I hadn’t seen. Remember The Night, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred McMurray is bloody good, don’t know how it hasn’t become a festive standard like plenty of others have (some iffy racism aside)
This just reminded me of lockdown-era boardin' and Bandoff - the Christmas film edition.

By the way, It's a Wonderful Life won. A travesty, in my opinion.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Leave the world behind- apocalyptic psychological thriller. Really enjoyed this. Slowly builds the tension and mystery. Would be interested in a sequel. Its by the Mr Robot guy.
CEB

Post by CEB »

^ Mr Robot Guy is what Caca calls ChatGPT
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Dunners wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:51 am Has anyone else been watching For All Mankind? And is Apple TV now making some of the best stuff available to watch?

It's a counter-factual drama that picks up from the moon landings, but imagines how events may have unfolded differently if the Soviets had got there first. Some of the differences are very subtle, but it also explores the impact of the Soviet regime being culturally dominant and confident. It's really thoughtful, and each episode pulls back another layer on the characters, the politics and how everything influences a carefully woven plot.

I'm on episode eight of the first series so far, and it has got me gripped. I hope the following series hold up. What I find incredible is how little I knew about this show before I started watching it. It's easily far superior to many other drama series that have receive more publicity and acclaim. Anyone who likes high-quality drama will not be disappointed by this.
You won't be disappointed with following seasons. It doesn't dip in quality at all, so well thought out. When you get to S4, make sure you watch the short newsreel they made about the events that happened between S3 and S4.

I always rewatch all the previous seasons before each new season starts.

Apple TV really has some great shows, Silo, Slow Horses, The Morning Show plus others
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Dunners wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:39 pm What's the one thing we'd all like for Christmas? Is that "an 80s-style action thriller with a tenuous Christmas theme a la Die Hard" I hear you say?

Well, you're in luck...

Appalling film.

There is zero dialogue in the film beside a few news reports heard over radio, and it makes a boring film even stranger, howls of pain or anger are more hound like than human, all so they can say there's no speech in the entire film.

There must have been an hour of silent, background before we get to the action and its not worth the wait.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:30 pm
Dunners wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:39 pm What's the one thing we'd all like for Christmas? Is that "an 80s-style action thriller with a tenuous Christmas theme a la Die Hard" I hear you say?

Well, you're in luck...

Appalling film.

There is zero dialogue in the film beside a few news reports heard over radio, and it makes a boring film even stranger, howls of pain or anger are more hound like than human, all so they can say there's no speech in the entire film.

There must have been an hour of silent, background before we get to the action and its not worth the wait.
Yeah, I talked the household into watching it yesterday and had to offer my apologies afterwards. The film is a steaming pile of excrement.

Don't watch it people.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Manhunt Chan 82
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 pm Leave the world behind- apocalyptic psychological thriller. Really enjoyed this. Slowly builds the tension and mystery. Would be interested in a sequel. Its by the Mr Robot guy.
Thought this was rubbish
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ricky Gervais Armageddon: i do like his humour and standup, maybe ive changed but felt he went a bit far this time, too much 'being offensive' for the sake of it: ableist comments, rape jokes, saying c*** all the time. The audience sounded like they were far right or RG was pandering to them. Not all his jokes landed either.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Watched the first, at a guess, 15 minutes of the new Ricky Gervais last night before turning it off as it just wasn't funny. I don't follow him on social media or owt so didn't really appreciate how right wing both his act and his audience have turned. But at least he likes dogs, so that's ok.

Then tried the new Julia Roberts film on Netflix. Enjoyable enough, I guess.