Ratings v Charlton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Ratings v Charlton

Post by Sid Bishop »

Cheshunto wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:53 am It was announced as 8700 something, which is, I think the biggest ‘crowd’ of the season.
There were loads of empty seats in the North and more than usual in the East
I reckon the actual crowd was around 7,000
I suppose season ticket holders who dont turn up for the match still count towards the attendance even if they are not attending the match on the day.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:13 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:53 am It was announced as 8700 something, which is, I think the biggest ‘crowd’ of the season.
I suppose season ticket holders who dont turn up for the match still count towards the attendance even if they are not attending the match on the day.
Which is silly, as it's called "attendance" not "seats sold".
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:17 pm
I am just guessing as that may be how the attendance figures are worked out because as Cheshunto wrote above
''It was announced as 8700 something, which is, I think the biggest ‘crowd’ of the season. There were loads of empty seats in the North and more than usual in the East I reckon the actual crowd was around 7,000''

A news article below relating to Football clubs in general.

Football clubs should stop exaggerating their attendance figures
Clubs and leagues want to look popular, attract sponsors and justify government investment, but they shouldn’t lie to fans
By Ian Thomson for Nutmeg, part of the Guardian Sport Network
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... celtic-mls
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Yes that’s right Sid, like some other clubs we now count tickets sold rather than ‘ bums on seats’.
Think it supposed to help market the club to advertisers and investors.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

It was the biggest of the seaason given as 8,743 which is 101 More the Barnsley game that was 2nd highest , I couldn't go and watched it on tv loads of empty seats , I reckon the actual attendance was around 7,000.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

My season ticket is in the South Stand and every home game I look out over large numbers of empty seats in the North Stand. I just assumed that this is down to the many "ghost" children the club has down as season ticket holders.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:34 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:17 pm

I am just guessing as that may be how the attendance figures are worked out because as Cheshunto wrote above
''It was announced as 8700 something, which is, I think the biggest ‘crowd’ of the season. There were loads of empty seats in the North and more than usual in the East I reckon the actual crowd was around 7,000''

A news article below relating to Football clubs in general.

Football clubs should stop exaggerating their attendance figures
Clubs and leagues want to look popular, attract sponsors and justify government investment, but they shouldn’t lie to fans
By Ian Thomson for Nutmeg, part of the Guardian Sport Network
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... celtic-mls
So you want us to have a smaller budget ?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Not going to read too much into attendance at a modern Boxing Day fixture, where, if Charlton's allocation could have been bigger there would have been a lot more of them. Reminds me of Boxing Day 1964 - we were at home to Charlton and beat them 4-2 on a snowy pitch. Those were the days when shops didnt open on Boxing Day, sales didn't start until January, very few flew off somewhere for Christmas ad families weren't so spread around the UK or further. I was at that match in 1964 and remember there being many more there than 7000 - 8700.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Probably more like 7500 - but just wait until you see tomorrow nights crowd. There will be plenty more no shows tomorrow off of what is close to a sell out.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Do you think?

I reckon more people will be able to attend a Friday night in the Xmas week than Boxing Day when many have family duties to attend to.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

No trains beyond shenfield into Essex and suffolk Boxing Day and tomorrow which will limit attendance
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:32 pm No trains beyond shenfield into Essex and suffolk Boxing Day and tomorrow which will limit attendance

Trains running from Colchester, but Replacement bus service between Witham and Billericay, then train from Billericay to London.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

cymruO wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:04 am Not going to read too much into attendance at a modern Boxing Day fixture, where, if Charlton's allocation could have been bigger there would have been a lot more of them. Reminds me of Boxing Day 1964 - we were at home to Charlton and beat them 4-2 on a snowy pitch. Those were the days when shops didnt open on Boxing Day, sales didn't start until January, very few flew off somewhere for Christmas ad families weren't so spread around the UK or further. I was at that match in 1964 and remember there being many more there than 7000 - 8700.
I don't remember the game myself although I probably was in attendance, but a good old O's fan of mine has some stats and says that, yes, the gate was about 9000 and that 2 days later we lost in the return at Charlton and their gate was a few hundred less than ours ! Talk about the good old days when we were the equal of the likes of, Millwall, QPR, and C Palace etc !!
Winchestorfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchestorfan »

I think if there were tickets to sell the club would have wanted to sell them. The fact is the ticket office had signs up saying the match was sold out. I suspect all the empty seats were mainly no-show season ticket holders, and there will always be a few hundred empty seats in the East stand because of reduced capacity due to safety issues.

With 4,500+ ST holders (50% of capacity) there are only around 3,000 seats left for home supporters for each match.

Perhaps the club should ask those who have bought a ST, but hardly ever use them, if they really want to have a ST that is denying some fans from being able to watch the O’s. With modern technology it would be easy to check individual seat usage and perhaps a condition of sale of any ‘discounted’ ST’s for the 24/25 season should also require a minimum of 75% use of the ST, either by physically attending OR returning the ticket to the club for resale. Any ST holder falling short of this condition should then forfeit the right to apply for renewal for 25/26 season. A waiting list for new ST applicants is, I imagine, now in place as you couldn’t purchase a ST mid June once the 4,500 had been sold.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Agreed that something more stick than carrot needs to be done to stop seats remaining empty.

The first thing they should do is get rid of the heavily discounted adult ticket price in the North Stand where most of the problem seems to be.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

We have three evening home games coming up, there will be quite a few empty seats in North Stand then.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

People like me and my wife both have season tickets. But we travel a long way and railway disruption and risks of cancellation makes coming very difficult, sometimes impossible. Not just strike days but amazingly trains cancelled due to lack of staff. Or maintenance with bus replacement services in operation. I’m sure we are not alone when it comes to travel difficulties.

So I sometimes make them available on the Orient website and only once have they been purchased by others. So freeing them up for resale don’t work very often. Empty seats don’t always mean season ticket holders preventing others from going.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Maybe you shouldn’t be taking up a season ticket if you can’t get to many games.