Who will join in January?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Who will join in January?

Post by The Reverend »

Are people seriously expecting us to sign anyone remotely exciting? Wellens is already pushing out the “we ain’t got no money” narrative and we aren’t even in January yet.

We’re getting nobody of interest. Possibly a random loan player or 2. Kids who have never played league football.

Richie knows that we’re stuck with a squad of L2 standard sick notes. We probably have just enough about us to stay up but that’s it.

Also worth noting that our owners probably aren’t that wealthy compared to other owners at this level. They bought a club which was in the conference at the time. Running a club two divisions higher is a lot more expensive. It sounds like their long term plan had always been about reaching L1, which we achieved early.

I honestly don’t think the current owners have the finances for a serious Championship push. That’s not a criticism of them by the way. But it’s not what they originally bought. If we don’t attract new investors with deep pockets , or new owners, then it’s likely we’ll be “consolidating” in league 1 for a while. A club like Wrexham is currently in a much better position to push for championship than we are.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:48 pm Are people seriously expecting us to sign anyone remotely exciting? Wellens is already pushing out the “we ain’t got no money” narrative and we aren’t even in January yet.

We’re getting nobody of interest. Possibly a random loan player or 2. Kids who have never played league football.

Richie knows that we’re stuck with a squad of L2 standard sick notes. We probably have just enough about us to stay up but that’s it.

Also worth noting that our owners probably aren’t that wealthy compared to other owners at this level. They bought a club which was in the conference at the time. Running a club two divisions higher is a lot more expensive. It sounds like their long term plan had always been about reaching L1, which we achieved early.

I honestly don’t think the current owners have the finances for a serious Championship push. That’s not a criticism of them by the way. But it’s not what they originally bought. If we don’t attract new investors with deep pockets , or new owners, then it’s likely we’ll be “consolidating” in league 1 for a while. A club like Wrexham is currently in a much better position to push for championship than we are.
Consolidating in League 1 for a while would do me fine . Don't forget other clubs will also be strengthening next month so I hope we get our transfer business spot on or we could be in trouble .
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:48 pm Are people seriously expecting us to sign anyone remotely exciting? Wellens is already pushing out the “we ain’t got no money” narrative and we aren’t even in January yet.

A good summing up of the situation as to what sort of players the Os may get in the January transfer window.
I also agree with your last comment ''A club like Wrexham is currently in a much better position to push for championship than we are''
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Consolidating in League 1 for a while would do me fine . Don't forget other clubs will also be strengthening next month so I hope we get our transfer business spot on or we could be in trouble .
Long gone are the optimistic comments by some about Os having a chance of promotion this season.
Far more likely is a struggle to stay in this division.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:34 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:22 am Strong rumour Frank Noble might be on his way back
Marks cousin?
More chance of getting Frank Spencer, I agree with others wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign anyone. Only put it on here for a laugh and cheer people up for Christmas only hope it doesn’t bite me I the backside 🙄🌲
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:10 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Long gone are the optimistic comments by some about Os having a chance of promotion this season.
Far more likely is a struggle to stay in this division.
That's a fair comment but personally I have always just wanted League 1 consolidation .
marcho
Fresh Alias

Post by marcho »

I was going to put my name forward must have a chance, 68 years old can`t hit a barn door from 10 yards no hair and no idea !! and only £1000.00 a week (Bargain)
What are my chances ? :D
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

marcho wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:20 pm I was going to put my name forward must have a chance, 68 years old can`t hit a barn door from 10 yards no hair and no idea !! and only £1000.00 a week (Bargain)
Knowing what a barn door looks like, and where it is on the park, gives you an unfair advantage in the recruitment process.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Seriously, can the good, learned contributors herein tell me EXACTLY who makes the decisions on the players brought in?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

It's always been a bit of a mistery that
Transfer committee? But we don't know who's on that either
By best guess is Ling makes the final decision.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:36 pm
o-no wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:16 pm I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't bring anyone in next month.
We'll probably wait until the end of January because we always take ages to sign any players . It's the Orient way .
This is what worries me to be honest. I'm not convinced that leaving it until the last minute is the way to go at this level. Players available at the end of the window tend to be either not wanted by anyone, crocked, or best case, some other deal has fallen through. It's reactive not proactive, but that seems to be the DoF's way of doing things.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

marcho wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:20 pm I was going to put my name forward must have a chance, 68 years old can`t hit a barn door from 10 yards no hair and no idea !! and only £1000.00 a week (Bargain)
Sorry no, you didn't mention recent recovery from a serious injury, that's a prerequisite for recruitment
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

o-no wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:16 pm I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't bring anyone in next month.
With a massive risk of relegation and all that entails, that would be sheer madness !!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:31 pm
Sorry no, you didn't mention recent recovery from a serious injury, that's a prerequisite for recruitment
Joke of by yourself of course......but sadly somewhat near to the reality as to the sort of players that the Os sometimes recruit in the transfer windows !
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Totally agree with you about our owners not having the necessary finances for a serious Championship push, now or in the future without a further massive investment in the club.If that is the case we are doomed to spend the future in the lower leagues which would be a kick in the teeth to our supporters.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

PoundhillO wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:43 pm

Totally agree with you about our owners not having the necessary finances for a serious Championship push, now or in the future without a further massive investment in the club.If that is the case we are doomed to spend the future in the lower leagues which would be a kick in the teeth to our supporters.
After feeling the pain of being relegated to the National League I'd quite happily stay in League 1 for years to come .
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

For context, Wrexham reckon they'll turnover £20m in League 2 this season, which was more than Luton were earning in the Championship last year. Think there's a good chance of them getting into the Premiership in the next 5 years, the TV is bringing in sponsorship deals that are unheard of outside the top flight.

We can no longer rely upon outspending other sides, as we were doing in League 2. Our average attendance so far this season is in the top half of the table, so there's no reason - with good recruitment and decent management - consolidation can't result in a very competitive side for this division. I have my doubts about our recruitment strategy being smart enough to do that though. Whether the ownership has the vision to get us punching above our weight will be the acid test for the next few years, otherwise they'll 'just' be a steady, somewhat generous hand on the tiller. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It'd basically be like a less grating rerun of the Hearn years, with more ambition for growing the fanbase and generating the sort of income that could sustain a lower championship team in the long term.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Mid table League 1 with the occasional season flirting with playoffs is probably our ceiling given our level of support

It certainly was under Hearn
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

We could do worse!
I’d say worth a go. I’ve just sent Ling an email.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:55 pm Seriously, can the good, learned contributors herein tell me EXACTLY who makes the decisions on the players brought in?
Ling. He has a good eye for players and a bad eye for getting it wrong!
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:30 pm Mid table League 1 with the occasional season flirting with playoffs is probably our ceiling given our level of support

It certainly was under Hearn
"Little Leyton Orient."
marcho
Fresh Alias

Post by marcho »

cockhat wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:59 pm
We could do worse!
I would expect you require a finders or agents fee as per the norm ?
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

marcho wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:52 pm
cockhat wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:59 pm
We could do worse!
I would expect you require a finders or agents fee as per the norm ?
Without doubt 👍!
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

PoundhillO wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:38 pm
With a massive risk of relegation and all that entails, that would be sheer madness !!
Judging by what RW said we will have to put players out on loan to bolster the money we have left in the budget. Looks like it will be a massive clear out in the summer.Will probably send cooper back to his club in January. Moncur Sweeney or Hunt to go on loan. Drinan out on loan at the end of January when fit.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:55 pm Seriously, can the good, learned contributors herein tell me EXACTLY who makes the decisions on the players brought in?
Easy, Richie tells them what players he wants and the board say you can’t have them. Bit like the darts program bull’s-eye “here’s what you could have had”🫢