Exiles thread - Derby (H)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Re: Exiles thread - Derby (H)

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Played well before they scored. Played decebt after their 2nd until that 3rd. Playing against a very good team with 10 men is always going to be hard.

Fair play to RW for bringing 2 forwards on to try and salvage something. No point losing 2-0 and not going for it.

A sense of perspective is needed. Some of those players were shocking though.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Anybody remember a dark, wet winter's Tuesday night many many moons ago when Stoke (maybe in a cup game) did exactly the same to us from one of our corners, as Derby did today for their third goal.

After they scored, we lost heart and the Derby players were quicker than us, more skillful than us and wanted the ball more than we did. It was a tale of two teams today, one challenging for promotion and one looking as though they will have a relegation dogfight on their hands.

And to make it worse the two teams that came up with us both won today.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

gshaw wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:23 pm
Stan1972 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:14 pm Beckles scores, but it was offside 🤦🏻‍♂️
It was never offside, great finish
Between that and what seems a very suspect sending off (unless there's proof otherwise?) that ref is doing a number on us today
No it wasn’t suspect, I saw Cooper elbow Collins quite clearly and he got what he deserved
He’s an idiot and will probably go back to Swansea
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

EliotNes wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:17 pm Anybody remember a dark, wet winter's Tuesday night many many moons ago when Stoke (maybe in a cup game) did exactly the same to us from one of our corners, as Derby did today for their third goal.

After they scored, we lost heart and the Derby players were quicker than us, more skillful than us and wanted the ball more than we did. It was a tale of two teams today, one challenging for promotion and one looking as though they will have a relegation dogfight on their hands.

Questions have to be asked as to how Stevenage are able to come up and absolutely fly up this league when we are looking to be heading for a relegation scrap. It’s not like they have an endless pot of money to spend. I doubt their budget is much different to ours, if not smaller. What they did do is make decent, decisive signings, and made them quite quickly in the summer,

They also don’t p*ss about spending money on a “set piece coach” who nobody asked for.
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

Did we sub Moncur to defend a one nil defeat?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 pm Going to a 4 in the back has made us way more vulnerable. Happe was so poor for that goal, as well taken as it was. Backed off and off, invited the shot.

Decent stuff in attack, Moncur looked lively and we were much more willing to take a shot. But Cooper has stiffed us there. Really doubt we're getting back into it.
Agree, Happe was badly at fault for that first goal. A loose ball like that in a dangerous position, you have to go in ! And considering he's a 6'6" defender he's easily beaten in the air at times.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

WilliamTell wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:34 pm Did we sub Moncur to defend a one nil defeat?
I suspect that Moncur was sacrificed for Beckles to try and keep us in the game, with the hope of nicking a goal late on. Easy to criticise, what's your alternative leaving Happe by himself at the back, otherwise who are you sacrificing instead ?
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:21 pm
EliotNes wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:17 pm Anybody remember a dark, wet winter's Tuesday night many many moons ago when Stoke (maybe in a cup game) did exactly the same to us from one of our corners, as Derby did today for their third goal.

Questions have to be asked as to how Stevenage are able to come up and absolutely fly up this league when we are looking to be heading for a relegation scrap. It’s not like they have an endless pot of money to spend. I doubt their budget is much different to ours, if not smaller. What they did do is make decent, decisive signings, and made them quite quickly in the summer,

They also don’t p*ss about spending money on a “set piece coach” who nobody asked for.
Although it sticks in our craw, Stevenage have a smarter manager who understands what is required at this level.
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Top of the JES wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:07 pm The facts of life in league One O's budget £4 million. Derby's rumoured to be just short of £9 million and It really showed today. Cooper a complete idiot for using his elbow he's done it before this season and got away with it the game was difficult enough as it was.

A terrible performance though all said and done.

Get rid of the set piece coach on Monday because they are actually getting worse and there are were more than one or two players out there who were not worthy of a shirt today. Sorry Nigel but we are going to have to find some money from somewhere for players if we want to stay up on that showing..
I really hate it when people think spending more money is the answer. It's not, you just have to recruit players who suit the system you want to play.

Stevenage haven't spent any more money than us but they have managed to assemble good footballers and built an effective team. I don't like Evans but that's the reality.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:27 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:07 pm The facts of life in league One O's budget £4 million. Derby's rumoured to be just short of £9 million and It really showed today. Cooper a complete idiot for using his elbow he's done it before this season and got away with it the game was difficult enough as it was.

A terrible performance though all said and done.

Get rid of the set piece coach on Monday because they are actually getting worse and there are were more than one or two players out there who were not worthy of a shirt today. Sorry Nigel but we are going to have to find some money from somewhere for players if we want to stay up on that showing..
I really hate it when people think spending more money is the answer. It's not, you just have to recruit players who suit the system you want to play.

Stevenage haven't spent any more money than us but they have managed to assemble good footballers and built an effective team. I don't like Evans but that's the reality.
So the recruitment could be better?
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

CharlieO wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:14 pm

Although it sticks in our craw, Stevenage have a smarter manager who understands what is required at this level.
But what exactly is it that is required at this level that Stevenage have and we haven't? It's either better recruitment or better coach or both. Seeing how he has improved players from League 1 to League 2, it's probably the better coach option sadly.
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

It will be interesting to see what Richie does against Cheltenham, just swapping some players in and out doesn't appear to be making any difference, maybe he needs to change the emphasis via formation change in the forward areas?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:31 pm
CharlieO wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:14 pm

But what exactly is it that is required at this level that Stevenage have and we haven't? It's either better recruitment or better coach or both. Seeing how he has improved players from League 1 to League 2, it's probably the better coach option sadly.
Evans cleared half his squad & upgraded.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:42 pm It will be interesting to see what Richie does against Cheltenham, just swapping some players in and out doesn't appear to be making any difference, maybe he needs to change the emphasis via formation change in the forward areas?
The problem is RW doesn’t have any strikers. Piggot I think will go in January. I don’t think RW rates him and he doesn’t work hard enough.

I would like him to put Ruel back in the middle and give him some games there. Agyei looks like he could be really good for us. If we can get a striker in the window at the level we need, then all is not lost.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:56 pm
Jeremy Bentham wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:42 pm It will be interesting to see what Richie does against Cheltenham, just swapping some players in and out doesn't appear to be making any difference, maybe he needs to change the emphasis via formation change in the forward areas?
The problem is RW doesn’t have any strikers. Piggot I think will go in January. I don’t think RW rates him and he doesn’t work hard enough.

I would like him to put Ruel back in the middle and give him some games there. Agyei looks like he could be really good for us. If we can get a striker in the window at the level we need, then all is not lost.
We signed Pigott in the Summer on a two year contract . Although he's clearly not League 1 standard we're unfortunately stuck with him . Actually I'm not sure he's even League 2 standard .
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:12 pm

We signed Pigott in the Summer on a two year contract . Although he's clearly not League 1 standard we're unfortunately stuck with him . Actually I'm not sure he's even League 2 standard .
I’m not so sure it’s that simple. I don’t think RW fancies him. If he’s told that he won’t be playing he might opt for the exit door. Smith was managed out as others have been. I think he’s close to going. Been really disappointing since he joined.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:19 pm

I’m not so sure it’s that simple. I don’t think RW fancies him. If he’s told that he won’t be playing he might opt for the exit door. Smith was managed out as others have been. I think he’s close to going. Been really disappointing since he joined.
I hope you're right but I honestly can't see it .
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

soloman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:44 pm
oxo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:10 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:03 pm Interesting El miz has had the captains armband taken. Maybe unnecessary pressure on a young player
People speculating on Twitter that maybe he didn’t want to wear the rainbow armband. Hope it’s not true
Entirely his choice, if he has one that is .
I shouldn’t have even posted it tbh — pure social media gossip
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Fingers crossed for Agyei.

Would like to see more of Shaq — he has more goals (3) than Pigott (2) despite playing far less football
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Yet another poor signing with Piggot, same old, same old .Recruitment very poor , clearly not League 1 capable but was obviously brought in as a cheap option.
Far too many players that are not up to league 1 standard and that’s due to recruitment and budget.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Same old same old poor recruitment has got us 2 titles in 5 years.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

PoundhillO wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:37 am

We signed Pigott in the Summer on a two year contract . Although he's clearly not League 1 standard we're unfortunately stuck with him . Actually I'm not sure he's even League 2 standard . No
Yet another poor signing with Piggot, same old, same old .Recruitment very poor , clearly not League 1 capable but was obviously brought in as a cheap option.
Far too many players that are not up to league 1 standard and that’s due to recruitment and budget.
To be fair to the club Poundy virtually all of our Summer signings have been good . However there’s always going to be one or two that doesn’t work out. I’m afraid Pigott is one of them. Our main problem has been injuries and suspensions to key players. Hopefully we’ll get our January transfer business done correctly otherwise we’re going to end up in trouble.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Have the summer signings been good?

It does seem that it’s the remaining players from last seasons squad that are stepping up - most notably Brown, El Miz and Ruel - rather than any of the newbies.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Story of O wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:44 pm Same old same old poor recruitment has got us 2 titles in 5 years.
Let’s hope relegation isn’t added to that!
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm
PoundhillO wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:37 am

We signed Pigott in the Summer on a two year contract . Although he's clearly not League 1 standard we're unfortunately stuck with him . Actually I'm not sure he's even League 2 standard . No
To be fair to the club Poundy virtually all of our Summer signings have been good . However there’s always going to be one or two that doesn’t work out. I’m afraid Pigott is one of them. Our main problem has been injuries and suspensions to key players. Hopefully we’ll get our January transfer business done correctly otherwise we’re going to end up in trouble.
We have two forwards that don’t frighten or threaten defences!
Both given contracts that were too long.