Through thick and thin

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Through thick and thin

Post by LittleMate »

What happened to that? It genuinely looked like a fire drill.

For the first time in a while I was a little ashamed of our fans. Not a song out of anyone in the second half. We all know what happened - but I think we we fans were less resolute than the players yesterday.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Through thick and thin

Post by The Reverend »

If the manager can’t be bothered to give post match interviews why should fans be expected to sit and watch that dross for 90 mins?

And before anyone has a go, I did stay until the end but I don’t blame others for leaving.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:16 am What happened to that? It genuinely looked like a fire drill.

For the first time in a while I was a little ashamed of our fans. Not a song out of anyone in the second half. We all know what happened - but I think we we fans were less resolute than the players yesterday.
Funny you should put that on here,we were saying the same thing yesterday all seemed a bit flat,but I think the team have to show a little more desire and give the crowd something to shout about?
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

I thought this thread was about Archibald's hair transplant
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:18 am If the manager can’t be bothered to give post match interviews why should fans be expected to sit and watch that dross for 90 mins?

And before anyone has a go, I did stay until the end but I don’t blame others for leaving.
So you want him to miss his daughters 18th birthday party , so you can hear an interview ?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:27 am I thought this thread was about Archibald's hair transplant
Thought this was a serious thread,I’m glad you have posted with your contribution,just a little tedious for me , may I suggest a better reply,
Hope this helps👍
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:18 am If the manager can’t be bothered to give post match interviews why should fans be expected to sit and watch that dross for 90 mins?
You seem adamant that the line from Dave Victor was a lie. I’m curious — why?

Richie doesn’t seem like a particularly shy/evasive character to me. In fact I’d say he seems pretty forthright.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

A lot of people thought we were playing Cheltenham at home with 11 men.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I think he did the sensible thing yesterday, better to calm down and think about what to say after a display like that
brentwoodo
Fresh Alias

Post by brentwoodo »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:16 am What happened to that? It genuinely looked like a fire drill.

One thing that cemented my love of the club and respect for the fans over the years was that during the later days of the Bechetti era, a large section of our fans would always stay to the end of every match and warmly applaud a bunch of kids off the pitch who were often in tears. They were frequently thrashed by properly equipped teams but the fans still stuck with them. I'm afraid yesterday, this spirit was not on show.

I think our fans really need to open their eyes on our current position, we have stepped up a level and we are in a period of adjustment. Yesterday, we played a club whose budget is at least four times ours, looking at their wage scales, many of their players are receiving wages 3 time higher than ours. We were down to 10 men against a confident team that have won their last 5 league games. I'm afraid there is likely to be more matches like this during the season and a mid table finish will be an achievement.

I thought Richie's tactics were very brave in trying to claw something from the game in the last ten minutes and I do admire him for this. For their third goal we left no one back for the corner when trying to get something, this didn't look too good when it went wrong but at least we were having a go.

I too found the stadium evacuation before the end of the game very disappointing and also some of the fickle mindless abuse a bit hard to take.

Lets hope some of our supporters get a reality check as our club continues to build, there is always going to be bumps in the road and yesterday was one!!!
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Joe315 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 am

So you want him to miss his daughters 18th birthday party , so you can hear an interview ?
Giving a 5 minute interview would mean that he missed the entirety of a party….right ok.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

brentwoodo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:41 am

One thing that cemented my love of the club and respect for the fans over the years was that during the later days of the Bechetti era, a large section of our fans would always stay to the end of every match and warmly applaud a bunch of kids off the pitch who were often in tears. They were frequently thrashed by properly equipped teams but the fans still stuck with them. I'm afraid yesterday, this spirit was not on show.

I think our fans really need to open their eyes on our current position, we have stepped up a level and we are in a period of adjustment. Yesterday, we played a club whose budget is at least four times ours, looking at their wage scales, many of their players are receiving wages 3 time higher than ours. We were down to 10 men against a confident team that have won their last 5 league games. I'm afraid there is likely to be more matches like this during the season and a mid table finish will be an achievement.

I thought Richie's tactics were very brave in trying to claw something from the game in the last ten minutes and I do admire him for this. For their third goal we left no one back for the corner when trying to get something, this didn't look too good when it went wrong but at least we were having a go.

I too found the stadium evacuation before the end of the game very disappointing and also some of the fickle mindless abuse a bit hard to take.

Lets hope some of our supporters get a reality check as our club continues to build, there is always going to be bumps in the road and yesterday was one!!!
Well said
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

I thought the players showed good spirit yesterday. We competed just as well with ten as we did with eleven, and Beckles, Forde and Agyei offered more threat than anything we had in the first half.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Don't ever shout abuse or boo, but the third Derby goal was so, so stupid that something broke inside of me and decided to leave early for once. It was one of those games where you question why the hell this is the way you choose to spend your time and money on a windy December afternoon.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

We've seen on here what appears to be the reason why, but lets just take a look at what you said and wear Ritchie's hat. If the fans can't be bothered to stay then why should he?

Winning on the pitch is a coalition of fans, board, management and players. Yesterday we all failed to deliver. We have to recognise our part in it. I'm gutted that I never got any enjoyment out of yesterday. Part of that is cheering my team on. I'm not one to start the singing, but I'm an active participant and for the first time in many many moons I came away without feeling a bit hoarse.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 am

Giving a 5 minute interview would mean that he missed the entirety of a party….right ok.
Giving a 5 minute interview 20 minutes after the game means a half hour delay in his drive back to Manchester. Still you keep on moaning as usual.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

I agree, like most 18 year olds especially these days, last thing you want there are your parents faffing around and no way your Daddy in a foul mood ( no pun intended) after an atrocious match moping about kicking water bottles , beer cans , cat in the presence of her cocky West Ham supporting school friends and peers ‘how did the O’s get on today Mr Wellens?’ ‘What’s for dessert Mr Wellens , Brown Derby gffaw gffaw titter tee hee hee’

He would have been better fmdoing the interview,having a lie down for two hours, poking his head in party for ten minutes, go to pub for swift couple the taking his Mrs out for a curry.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Daily Express bot wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:57 am

I agree, like most 18 year olds especially these days, last thing you want there are your parents faffing around and no way your Daddy in a foul mood ( no pun intended) after an atrocious match moping about kicking water bottles , beer cans , cat in the presence of her cocky West Ham supporting school friends and peers ‘how did the O’s get on today Mr Wellens?’ ‘What’s for dessert Mr Wellens , Brown Derby gffaw gffaw titter tee hee hee’

He would have been better fmdoing the interview,having a lie down for two hours, poking his head in party for ten minutes, go to pub for swift couple the taking his Mrs out for a curry.
His family are still up north, why would school friends support The Hammers ?
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:56 am

We've seen on here what appears to be the reason why, but lets just take a look at what you said and wear Ritchie's hat. If the fans can't be bothered to stay then why should he?

Winning on the pitch is a coalition of fans, board, management and players. Yesterday we all failed to deliver. We have to recognise our part in it. I'm gutted that I never got any enjoyment out of yesterday. Part of that is cheering my team on. I'm not one to start the singing, but I'm an active participant and for the first time in many many moons I came away without feeling a bit hoarse.
Ah right, it’s the fans fault that professional football players can’t take a corner kick without leading to the opposition team scoring, despite having the wisdom of a “set piece coach”.

All makes sense now.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:07 am
LittleMate wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:56 am

Ah right, it’s the fans fault that professional football players can’t take a corner kick without leading to the opposition team scoring, despite having the wisdom of a “set piece coach”.

All makes sense now.
Haven't you got a service to give ?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

I pay my money to watch a game of football.

There is nothing in the contract between me and Leyton Orient that requires me to sing, shout or remain in ground for any length of time.

The Orient players do not come to my workplace cheering me on or singing, so why am I expected to sing & cheer them on.

It is not the fans responsibility to cheer on players or sing them a song.

In short don't blame the fans
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Why? Because the fans can now 'sensel' what the outcome is going to be with what we're serving up at the moment. We can't win football matches, we don't know how to win football matches. Why, we can't even score a goal ! There is no purpose or belief out on the pitch. We are just going through the motions. Fans are now beginning to see it almost as a pointless exercise giving their all. They're gutted, we're all gutted.It's a very hard watch at the moment and things have to change quickly or we'll be in big trouble. Yes, it was disappointing to see such a big evacuation yesterday but it was quite understandable.
Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Post by Hedmans Header »

Give it a rest ..
RW owes the club and us fans nothing
he’s been a breath of fresh air since
he’s walked into the club ..
Mistake have been made on recruitment
but everyday is a learning curve and when
we beat the drop players can be moved on
and league one standard players can be
brought in ..
It ain’t pretty at the moment but losing
RW will only have/take a negative impact
on the club ..
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

spen666 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:28 am

There is nothing in the contract between me and Leyton Orient that requires me to sing, shout or remain in ground for any length of time.

The Orient players do not come to my workplace cheering me on or singing, so why am I expected to sing & cheer them on.

Fair point but if you want me to come to your work and give you a tune👍 i’m also available for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs if you’re interested👍
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:40 am
spen666 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:28 am

Fair point but if you want me to come to your work and give you a tune👍 i’m also available for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs if you’re interested👍
I can’t believe I’m going to say this but Spen is bang on with this one!