Dentists

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Dentists

Post by Friend or faux »

Today I paid my first visit to a dentist in twenty years. Not because my teeth are in good shape, but because I managed to get divorced after retiring & had to rejig my mortgage at an advanced age; therefore routine dental trips became an extravagance. So this week for the first time in my life I suffered toothache, and found that it ain't much fun. In my 20's-30's I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The first was a bit of a trauma. But nearer my 30's they were crowding my mouth so I had the other 3 pulled. I was more relaxed & I found the more relaxed the less discomfort.
So yesterday, I rang up & had an appointment for noon today. I was quite surprised when the dentist Had a look in my gob & said," that one can come out, do you want it done now?" I said " ta".
He coked me up & 5 minutes later it was out. Easy peasy. I think at my age they are practically falling out anyway. He charged me £115, which was cheaper than I expected. I pulled the gauze swab out on my way home & no bleeding.
Have you lot got any dentist horror stories ? Daily Express Idiot ( surely Tuffers ) don't bother.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Dentists

Post by faldO »

Is it safe?
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

I cannot recommend something called “dry socket”. If you have a wisdom tooth out, don’t use a straw briefly afterwards as it sucks out the clot over the nerve ending. And it’s agony.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Friend or faux wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:37 pm Today I paid my first visit to a dentist in twenty years. Not because my teeth are in good shape, but because I managed to get divorced after retiring & had to rejig my mortgage at an advanced age; therefore routine dental trips became an extravagance. So this week for the first time in my life I suffered toothache, and found that it ain't much fun. In my 20's-30's I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The first was a bit of a trauma. But nearer my 30's they were crowding my mouth so I had the other 3 pulled. I was more relaxed & I found the more relaxed the less discomfort.
So yesterday, I rang up & had an appointment for noon today. I was quite surprised when the dentist Had a look in my gob & said," that one can come out, do you want it done now?" I said " ta".
He coked me up & 5 minutes later it was out. Easy peasy. I think at my age they are practically falling out anyway. He charged me £115, which was cheaper than I expected. I pulled the gauze swab out on my way home & no bleeding.
Have you lot got any dentist horror stories ? Daily Express Idiot ( surely Tuffers ) don't bother.
I am not as poor as you but we all like to save money don’t we? So I went to the dentist as to enquire how much for an extraction and the Dentist said £245.

‘How much? Can you not do it cheaper?’

He said ‘ listen Mr Lenny my parents sent me to private schools, funded me through University, Dental College then another three years for my PHD how can I do it cheaper?’

‘How much if the Dental Nurse did it?’ I asked

‘Well she won’t be as good but could do for £125, that barely covers the price of the anaesthetic!’

‘Can’t you do it a bit less?’ I asked how about without the anaesthetic?’

‘It will be possible he said but will be absolute agony, price will be a fiver’

‘ Great can I book my wife in for next Tuesday I said’
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Friend or faux wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:37 pm Today I paid my first visit to a dentist in twenty years. Not because my teeth are in good shape, but because I managed to get divorced after retiring & had to rejig my mortgage at an advanced age; therefore routine dental trips became an extravagance. So this week for the first time in my life I suffered toothache, and found that it ain't much fun. In my 20's-30's I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The first was a bit of a trauma. But nearer my 30's they were crowding my mouth so I had the other 3 pulled. I was more relaxed & I found the more relaxed the less discomfort.
Are you sure you never had 4 wisdom teeth put in?
Holybourne Identity
Fresh Alias

Post by Holybourne Identity »

Second job I ever had included private medical insurance. At the end of those six months I had all 4 wisdom teeth, a section of bone to access one of those teeth, and a bonus tooth removed. Very timely, but I bled solidly for a week.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Im ashamed to admit ive never loooked after my teeth and have never been to a dentist in my life ☹️ , whenever I got a loose tooth I pulled it out myself 🤔 luckily never had a bad bleed but don't have hardly any gnashers left now ☹️ saved a few quid in dentist fees though 👍
Mickys Bullock
Fresh Alias

Post by Mickys Bullock »

Daily Express bot wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:20 pm
I am not as poor as you but we all like to save money don’t we? So I went to the dentist as to enquire how much for an extraction and the Dentist said £245.

‘How much? Can you not do it cheaper?’

He said ‘ listen Mr Lenny my parents sent me to private schools, funded me through University, Dental College then another three years for my PHD how can I do it cheaper?’

‘How much if the Dental Nurse did it?’ I asked

‘Well she won’t be as good but could do for £125, that barely covers the price of the anaesthetic!’

‘Can’t you do it a bit less?’ I asked how about without the anaesthetic?’

‘It will be possible he said but will be absolute agony, price will be a fiver’

‘ Great can I book my wife in for next Tuesday I said’

People who put mercury in your body and tell you fluoride is good ffs. Avoid like the plague.
Mickys Bullock
Fresh Alias

Post by Mickys Bullock »

I mean fluoride should’ve gone in the scam thread. I mean a byproduct of aluminium making dumped in water and put in toothpaste. WTAF
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Mickys Bullock wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:37 am I mean fluoride should’ve gone in the scam thread. I mean a byproduct of aluminium making dumped in water and put in toothpaste. WTAF
You are so old hat. They do have alternative options in 2023.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

My dentist has won many awards, he even has a little plaque on the wall to prove it.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Only one horror story.
I had "sedation" about 2 years ago to extract a tooth ready for a replacement with an implant. I should have been worried when the lady brought in to do the sedation (at £125) was reading instructions from a piece of paper. I was not sedated, I was well and truly knocked out. It took the dentist, dental nurse and my wife to help me into our car after the extraction and I was so delirious. My wife then drove home and sat with me asleep in the car on the driveway for 3 hours before I came round enough for her to be able to help me out of the car. She helped me into an armchair and I slept for another 6 hours. When I complained, the sedation company said the lady doing the sedation thought I was worried about the extraction so gave me a little more than normal. A load or rubbish as I have never ever had any worries going to the dentist. When I saw the dentist next (I've been going to him for 20+ years) I had a real go at him and said if he used that company again for me or my family I'd move the whole family (we are 5 patients in all) to another dentist. He did have the grace to apologise.
I can't name the sedation company here, but if you are going to have sedation, rather than a full anaesthetic, beware if the person doing it starts reading the instructions from a piece of paper.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

NHS dentistry as we know it 'gone for good'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Dunners wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:13 am NHS dentistry as we know it 'gone for good'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983
It's a sign of how lunatic the country is getting that this isn't clearly the most alarming post on the thread.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

faldO wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:58 pmIs it safe?[/quote

“ is what safe” going to have to Dustin yourself down after that quote 🤭
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

BIGRON wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:03 am Im ashamed to admit ive never loooked after my teeth and have never been to a dentist in my life ☹️ , whenever I got a loose tooth I pulled it out myself 🤔 luckily never had a bad bleed but don't have hardly any gnashers left now ☹️ saved a few quid in dentist fees though 👍
So now you're toothless, the same as our forward line.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I personally find it strange when in this country we get free prescriptions after sixty and yet have to pay for the dentist (that’s if you can find one nowadays) do Scotland and Wales have to pay for there’s?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:14 am
BIGRON wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:03 am Im ashamed to admit ive never loooked after my teeth and have never been to a dentist in my life ☹️ , whenever I got a loose tooth I pulled it out myself 🤔 luckily never had a bad bleed but don't have hardly any gnashers left now ☹️ saved a few quid in dentist fees though 👍
Ok let’s get to the root of your problem and have less lip out of you young man🤭
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am
Ok let’s get to the root of your problem and have less lip out of you young man🤭

I think I know you, are you the guy with teeth like a hammer House of Horror film graveyard? Then again, come to think of it there are many of our supporters who look like that.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Daily Express bot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 am

I think I know you, are you the guy with teeth like a hammer House of Horror film graveyard? Then again, come to think of it there are many of our supporters who look like that.
Morning tuffers, you still have Soloman and joe left to leave a post.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Monkey Boy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:43 am
Daily Express bot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 am

Morning tuffers, you still have Soloman and joe left to leave a post.
Who is Tuffers/Spartacus?