Inventions that we use/used that are actually sh*t

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Frogger
Fresh Alias

Inventions that we use/used that are actually sh*t

Post by Frogger »

Amazon Alexa
DAB radio
DVD recorder
VAR

All of the above are just an utter waste of time. Oh and Aaron Drinan although not an invention is an utter waste of time 😉
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Inventions that we use/used that are actually sh*t

Post by Adz »

qwerty keyboard, designed to slow down your typing!
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Oh Electric Vehicles
Over priced
Crap range
Take ages to charge (speed charge 45 mins!!
Battery is probably more toxic to the environment than diesel engines…probably
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Politicians
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I find washing machines infuriating
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Frogger wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:30 pm Amazon Alexa
DAB radio
DVD recorder
VAR

All of the above are just an utter waste of time. Oh and Aaron Drinan although not an invention is an utter waste of time 😉
Why is DAB and DVD bad?

I remember a day when I could simply come home watch a DVD or video and record and now have not a clue.
My kids say I have to use Xboxes and stuff. Used to go to Blockbuster get a video for an evening. I have a DAB radio which is easy to use and good sound.

I think that one of best inventions was clock radio , simple and useful.

Teasmaid probably one of the most bizarre. I mean what on Earth , can’t people go downstairs make cuppa and go back up? Ssandwich makers are unreliable. I bought a George Forman Sandwich Maker once. It was flawed after three rounds.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Saying digital radio is sh*t is very odd.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm not sure who used it, but the Amstrad Emailer was pretty sh*te.

The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Set Piece Coach
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Toasters. Ive yet to find one that toasts the bread evenly
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:31 am Saying digital radio is sh*t is very odd.
Depends which station you tune in to, I guess.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

DAB is pretty poo poo and an 'upgrade' with few advantages.

The quality isnt anything worth getting excited about, it still makes a horrible noise when you have a poor signal.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The Butter Stick got a lot of flack at the time, but I reckon it was a good idea.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Also, this was worth every penny.

Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:31 am Saying digital radio is sh*t is very odd.
It’s sh*t in the car, especially round some parts of Essex, Hertfordshire, Devon, Lake District and Wales. If you are at home listening to it then fine but you’re pretty much f*cked if going out in the car.

DVD recorders were sh*t not DVD themselves. Expensive and was replaced pretty quickly by SKY and Virgin recording and TiVo boxes.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dunners wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:59 am I'm not sure who used it, but the Amstrad Emailer was pretty sh*te.

Heh. Can remember FTC Snr getting one of these - don't think he ever sent or received a single email on it. Wasn't helped by the fact that no one else he knew had an email address either.

1980's saw mum buying all sorts of poo poo including a yoghurt maker, ice cream machine, knitting machine, hostess trolley and the obligatory Betamax Video (she'd never accept that VHS was where it was at). All of which ended up in a massive pile in the family shed until a mid 90's clearout saw the lot disappear in a skip.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Frogger wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:47 pm
It’s sh*t in the car, especially round some parts of Essex, Hertfordshire, Devon, Lake District and Wales.
Have you considered moving?
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Sandwich toasters. Never fail to underwhelm with the finished product.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Omygawd wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:18 pm Sandwich toasters. Never fail to underwhelm with the finished product.
Agreed, one of the worst inventions, ever. What you got was a hardened bread shell with a molten lava content nothing like a proper toasted sandwich
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Frogger wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 am Oh Electric Vehicles
Over priced
Crap range
I have an EV - It was about £3,000 more expensive than a petrol equiv - but all new cars are expensive. but see my comments below on ramge to put it into more context.

My EV is a Hyundai and does up to 320 miles on a full charge I would not call that crap range. I can also console myself that charging at home as I do nearly all the time will cost £4.80 (that's 1.5p per mile) rather than filing up with Petrol for £50 or £60 (17p per mile based on £55) I used to fill up once a week so that's an overall £2500 a year saving on fuel.

If I'm on a longer journey and I need to charge it's really easy to plan it around a stop for Coffee/Food which I would normally do anyway in a petrol car. 40 minute fast charge and back up to 80% of range but I try not to charge away from home as some chargers rates are bordering on criminal however needs must.

Batteries- Well more about the ethical use of Lithium in production than them being toxic but cheaper cleaner batteries with much much longer ranges have been developed but certainly the UK and many other government's are just not interested in funding production as it would upset their friends in the petrolium industry and put a dent in their tax receipts. The long range cleaner batteries like most other things will start to emerge from China in the next two years.

Lots of guff written about tyres wearing and brake dust polluting but friend of mine uses an EV Estate for business and is on his second set of tyres and brake pads/discs at 120,000 miles and driven correctly any EV with regenerative braking will barely touch the disc and pads.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Making purchases in the east stand bar dependent on downloading the SwipeStation app and then validating your purchase via a ticket machine before going to the bar and getting your food/drink like you usually would
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:37 pm
Over priced
Crap range
I have an EV - It was about £3,000 more expensive than a petrol equiv - but all new cars are expensive. but see my comments below on ramge to put it into more context.

My EV is a Hyundai and does up to 320 miles on a full charge I would not call that crap range. I can also console myself that charging at home as I do nearly all the time will cost £4.80 (that's 1.5p per mile) rather than filing up with Petrol for £50 or £60 (17p per mile based on £55) I used to fill up once a week so that's an overall £2500 a year saving on fuel.

If I'm on a longer journey and I need to charge it's really easy to plan it around a stop for Coffee/Food which I would normally do anyway in a petrol car. 40 minute fast charge and back up to 80% of range but I try not to charge away from home as some chargers rates are bordering on criminal however needs must.

Batteries- Well more about the ethical use of Lithium in production than them being toxic but cheaper cleaner batteries with much much longer ranges have been developed but certainly the UK and many other government's are just not interested in funding production as it would upset their friends in the petrolium industry and put a dent in their tax receipts. The long range cleaner batteries like most other things will start to emerge from China in the next two years.

Lots of guff written about tyres wearing and brake dust polluting but friend of mine uses an EV Estate for business and is in his second set of tyres and brake pads/discs at 120,000 miles and driven correctly any EV with regenerative braking will barely touch the disc and pads.
I have some genuine questions about electric cars. If you could answer, id be grateful.
1 You say your range is 320 miles, but isn't that dependent on various factors.
For example in a hot day, wouldn't the air con on reduce the range? By how much?
What about the heater on, and the lights on for a long journey?

2. If you charge to 80%, do you get 80% of the range, or would you get lower?

I imagine, (and I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking), that if you were driving a long journey with lights and heater on all the time, on an 80% charge, your range would be around 180 miles?
Thanks
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:01 pm
Over priced
Crap range

Lots of guff written about tyres wearing and brake dust polluting but friend of mine uses an EV Estate for business and is in his second set of tyres and brake pads/discs at 120,000 miles and driven correctly any EV with regenerative braking will barely touch the disc and pads.
I have some genuine questions about electric cars. If you could answer, id be grateful.
1 You say your range is 320 miles, but isn't that dependent on various factors.
For example in a hot day, wouldn't the air con on reduce the range? By how much?
What about the heater on, and the lights on for a long journey?

2. If you charge to 80%, do you get 80% of the range, or would you get lower?

I imagine, (and I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking), that if you were driving a long journey with lights and heater on all the time, on an 80% charge, your range would be around 180 miles?
Thanks
1. Yes if it's cold rule of thumb is you can lose between 10 and 20%, but the most I have lost is about 10% but not enough to cause inconvenience but Petrol car are not as efficient in cold weather either.

2. It charges the battery to 80% and factors like driving style and climate will have some effect on the distance it will take you, I rarely charge to 100% because I rarely need it.

Air Con and Heater will have some effect yes but lights run off the 12v battery like any other car. My charging range of choice is usually up to 80%. which in summer is 256 miles and winter is about 230 miles I rarely do more than 150 miles a day now. I can comfortably achieve 5 miles per Kw in summer and 4 to 4.5 miles per Kw in Winter I have a very relaxed driving style which suits an EV, the battery size of my car is 64kw.
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Over priced
Crap range

Lots of guff written about tyres wearing and brake dust polluting but friend of mine uses an EV Estate for business and is on his second set of tyres and brake pads/discs at 120,000 miles and driven correctly any EV with regenerative braking will barely touch the disc and pads.
"as some chargers rates are bordering on criminal"-how do they compare to the 1.5p per mile for home charging, ie specific numbers please
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

OK home charging 7.5p per kw with Octopus Energy
Charging stations between 39p per kw To 79p per kw depending on location and speed so between 5 and 10 times more expensive than home charging - people never really fill the battery other than at home, car tells me what charge I need to get home if I need to charge away from home.

Expensive but a captive market. Needs to be better regulated.