Israel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Israel

Post by Hoover Attack »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 pm
CEB wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:29 pm tl:dr; the argument isn’t that *any* depiction is antisemitic. It’s that memes, cartoons and the culture of alt right shitposting type sh*t means that plenty of people are happy to throw a bit of chaos into the mix by imbuing cultural artefacts with meaning, and when that happens, people *do* adopt them to tacitly signal belief, and others *do* fall into the trap of then seeing “hate symbols” everywhere.
The A-OK white supremacist thing was literally curated into a “hate signal” by alt right sh*t posters purely for the hell of it, until it became one.
Discourse around this stuff is sort of broken
I've seen palpable frustration expressed by some Jewish commentators online about how this trope (specifically the one about the plush toy, rather than the octopus in general) was being created live in front of them. Even something which isn't necessarily antisemitic or racist can become it if enough people claim it to be, whether well intended or not and I have no doubt that these toys are gonna be bought by people and used in a horrible way, which they never would have done but for the - at least partly - manufactured furore post-Greta (and now UC). Don't know how you stop this kind of thing from happening.
By calling it out as the nonsense it is when it first surfaces.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Easier said than done when doing so brings often further accusations of AS.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

It’s basically large scale trolling, with part of the trolling being deliberately ensuring plenty of innocent people’s innocent behaviour can then be seen as suspicious, while those who *are* loading something with meaning can enjoy “triggering” people, laughing at the reaction.
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

On the day before hostages are finally (hopefully) released, following days of complex negotiations, Kay Burley of Sky News asks Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levi whether 50 Israeli hostages for 150 Palestinian prisoners means that Israel values Palestinian lives lower than Israeli lives.

Meanwhile, 8 BBC reporters sent a letter to Al Jazeera claiming that the BBC's coverage of the Israel/Hamas war is biased towards Israel. They clearly don't seem to have watched or read their own news output.

Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

faldO wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:09 pm

Meanwhile, 8 BBC reporters sent a letter to Al Jazeera claiming that the BBC's coverage of the Israel/Hamas war is biased towards Israel. They clearly don't seem to have watched or read their own news output.
Why would BBC reporters complain about their own coverage being biased ?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Joe315 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:42 pm

Eh? You don't think people are ever unhappy with how their own organisation might operate?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:27 pm

Eh? You don't think people are ever unhappy with how their own organisation might operate?
Of course, but why tell al jazeera & why would faldo say " clearly don't seemed to have watched their own output " Al Jazeera arent pro Israel & seems an odd comment. Have I missed something glaringly obvious ?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Let’s give thanks for the pause in conflict in Israel and the release of some hostages, let’s hope and pray that this lull is more permanent and a peaceful settlement is achieved long term.

There is a huge Jewish solidarity March up town this weekend. Hopefully, it goes ahead peacefully.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Joe315 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:22 pm

Of course, but why tell al jazeera & why would faldo say " clearly don't seemed to have watched their own output " Al Jazeera arent pro Israel & seems an odd comment. Have I missed something glaringly obvious ?
They've raised their concerns via another, likely to be sympathetic, news outlet. Without meaning to be rude, I'm not sure what the confusion is around this?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Of course. But the Beeb love navel gazing as much as a dockland sex worker. There no way a reporter would go to Al Jazeera with this.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:17 am
Joe315 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:22 pm

They've raised their concerns via another, likely to be sympathetic, news outlet. Without meaning to be rude, I'm not sure what the confusion is around this?
No worries.
The only confusion is who was meant to be in need of watching themselves?

BBC or Al Jazeera ?
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Both sides reporting a breach of the ceasefire by the other side this lunchtime but seems to be very key so hopefully they both really want to see a way forward
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:20 pm Also, another way of looking at things is this...

Out of the following two options, which one is most likely and realistic to achieve a ceasefire:

1. Demanding a ceasefire immediately from the current state of war.

Or

2. Negotiating a "pause" in hostilities to allow humanitarian aid. With these becoming more frequent and prolonged and normalised.

Anyone who genuinely believes in the first option... Well, enjoy your day out on Saturday.

Anyone who believes it is the second option, no matter how much they may wish it was the first... Well, that's pretty much the plan. And is what US Sec. Blinken is hinting at and is supported by most governments (and Labour).

Anyone seriously agitating for a Labour MP to publicly declare for the first option is either deluded or disingenuous in their true intentions and motivations.
The answer was 1.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:34 pm Ceasefire - there can be no such thing
There can.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:41 am
Dunners wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:20 pm Also, another way of looking at things is this...

Out of the following two options, which one is most likely and realistic to achieve a ceasefire:

1. Demanding a ceasefire immediately from the current state of war.

Or

2. Negotiating a "pause" in hostilities to allow humanitarian aid. With these becoming more frequent and prolonged and normalised.

Anyone who genuinely believes in the first option... Well, enjoy your day out on Saturday.

Anyone who believes it is the second option, no matter how much they may wish it was the first... Well, that's pretty much the plan. And is what US Sec. Blinken is hinting at and is supported by most governments (and Labour).

Anyone seriously agitating for a Labour MP to publicly declare for the first option is either deluded or disingenuous in their true intentions and motivations.
The answer was 1.
Err, it was 2 actually. Albeit the "pause" in hostilities was also to enable Israel to release prisoners in return for Hamas returning hostages. Hopefully the "pause" will continue long enough to be a full-on ceasefire.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Weird that everyone who very much insisted that a ceasefire was a stupid thing to ask for are all suddenly very happy to call the current 'pause in hostilities' a ceasefire.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am Weird that everyone who very much insisted that a ceasefire was a stupid thing to ask for are all suddenly very happy to call the current 'pause in hostilities' a ceasefire.
It was about the politics of it, especially given the intransigence of the Israeli government. Calling for a ceasefire was less likely to achieve an actual ceasefire (due to one side not wanting to look weak) than calling for a pause in hostilities for "reasons", which could then go onto be a ceasefire. Which has proven to be the case.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:34 pm
Hamas - They have stated their intent. Osama Hamdan (a Hamas official), in an interview with Al-Liwaa newspaper, stated that if they could they would repeat the October 7th attacks again. And again. Their aim is aligned with Iran in preventing Israel from being a 'natural entity' in the region. They will not accept peace or agree to a ceasefire.

They will.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Bold statement that Hamas will accept peace based on a truce that has lasted seven days. So far. But hopefully you're right.

You'll forgive me for not ditching my crypto stock just yet and lumping it all with Paddy Power on this being the beginning of a new era of peace, cooperation and optimism throughout the region.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I'm not sure anyone is claiming that this has brought about an end to hostilities forever......

Just that left leaning people should have been calling for the bombing and fighting to stop.

(I meant Sirkier, not you - I've accepted you're a lost cause and have gone over to the dark side).
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I mean, if you're getting battered of course you'll accept a 'ceasefire', for now.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:54 am I'm not sure anyone is claiming that this has brought about an end to hostilities forever......

Just that left leaning people should have been calling for the bombing and fighting to stop.

(I meant Sirkier, not you - I've accepted you're a lost cause and have gone over to the dark side).
Wont someone please think of the terrorists?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:58 am I mean, if you're getting battered of course you'll accept a 'ceasefire', for now.
Tens of thousands of civilians murdered - mostly women and children - and you opt for 'battered'?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:54 am I'm not sure anyone is claiming that this has brought about an end to hostilities forever......

Wont someone please think of the terrorists?
Which side are they on?