What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Daily Express bot »

For those who have not seen the film ‘Robbery’ it is on Talking Pictures tonight at 10.05pm the film with filming scenes Orient v Swindon 1967 at Brisbane Road.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:13 pm Whodunnit (unrehearsed) at the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park.

A company of six actors stage a whodunnit play, but where the inspector investigating the crime is a well-known celebrity who has no prior knowledge of what to expect. Their lines and directions are fed to them through an earpiece.

I went to see the penultimate show on Saturday afternoon, and our special guest was Adrian Dunbar (best known for playing Ted (sweet Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey) Hastings from Line of Duty). He, and the play, was absolutely brilliant. What started off as a regular whodunnit just descended into one of the most hilariously bonkers and absurdist shows I think I have ever seen. One minute you’re watching a murder mystery, and the next you’re being treated to an impromptu Broadway musical interjected by Mastermind sequences while being randomly asked to hold an inflatable parrot.

The Park Theatre holds just 200 people, so it’s intimate. And given the quality of the show, I could easily see it selling out much bigger venues. But the creator (who was part of a Q&A panel at the end) Mark Cameron confirmed that it was always his intention for it to be a fund raiser for a limited run at a small venue. Each of the celebrities that attend do so for free. And to his credit he has had a decent line up of well-known names. I heard that on one of the previous nights, Johnny Vegas stripped off naked and ran into the audience.

But the best bit was that he confirmed that the show would return for another series at some point in the future. This show is definitely recommended.
It's just been announced that this show is to return next year: https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/whod ... ehearsed-3
CEB

Post by CEB »

Cheers, just booked, that’s sorted out a big chunk of Christmas present :D
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

If its anything like last time you're in for a real treat. I've booked for two dates. The line up of guests looks decent, but just hoping I don't get one of the few duds.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Marcus Brigstocke and Beverley Knight don’t exactly set the pulse racing.

Daisy Ridley would be good for geek fun, but I reckon Harry Hill, David Mitchell, Ross Kemp or Les Dennis would be the picks
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Yep, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Maureen Lipman could be good too. But the regular cast are experts at getting the best out of whoever is there. They really put them through their paces and take them out of their comfort zone, which is entertaining in itself.
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

Good shout, I've booked too, cheers.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Johnny Vegas running naked into the audience? Refund please.
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

I'm looking at the man in the mirror., I'm hoping he changes his ways.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

How To Have Sex

Can't rate it highly enough. So much to unpick. I'm sure anyone who watches it will be able to relate to in on some level. Athough I have never been a teenage girl, the film allows you to inhabit their world a little. The portrayal of the young guys shows that the good behaviour needs to be encouraged and seen as the norm, unlike how its been up to now. Fantastic film.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

The English- really enjoyed this limited series western on BBC iPlayer. Emily Blunt is a rich woman after the man who killed her son. There are standoffs, shooting, villains(Rafe Spall is excellent) beautiful environments and a good story which I wish I had paid more attention to.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:28 pm I am currently about 3/8ths through "The Fall of the House of Usher" on Netflix.

I am loving it.
Just finished this tonight. Excellent.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

The Government making a complete bumhole of itself.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Crazy for You at the Gillian Lynne Theatre

It's an old 20s/30s-style Gershwin musical, that balances huge choreographed dance numbers with slapstick comedy. It avoids the trap of being "reinterpreted for modern audiences" whilst not indulging in social attitudes that would feel outdated. And it's brilliant.

I was a tad sceptical about this kind of show, but the 5-star reviews are fully justified. The whole 34-strong cast gives a solid performance, but Charlie Stemp, Carly Anderson and Tom Edden are phenomenal. And it's packed with some top-draw Gershwin musical numbers, with the sequences for Slap Bass and I've got Rhythm being standout moments.

Given the trend for the style of West End shows, this may be one of the last chances to catch this kind of show on a West End stage. It must end by 31 December so, if you're looking for something to book then this is fully recommended. When it's gone we may never see its like again.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The Reckoning- not sure i learnt much new, but it was an interesting watch regardless. Frustrating to see how he got away with it, how evasive he was and how grim things were not so many years ago.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

CEB wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:04 am Marcus Brigstocke and Beverley Knight don’t exactly set the pulse racing.

Daisy Ridley would be good for geek fun, but I reckon Harry Hill, David Mitchell, Ross Kemp or Les Dennis would be the picks
Looks like it could be fun but imagine paying £100 and ending up with Ronan Keating or Judge Rinder while someone else gets Lester Freamon or Jodie Whittaker. Too much of a risk.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

“Due South” ☺️
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Finally getting round to Boardwalk Empire, pretty good so far.
Masterchef the Professionals never disappoints.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

There was a brilliant documentary on chan 84 last night PBS channel freeview ‘Israel A Twice Promised Land’
which gives a chronological history of events there and appears a well balanced objectively written version. I learned a lot from it, the second part tonight. I never knew for instance that Uganda and Argentina were considered a home for the Jews before Palestine.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The Killer

Hired assassin misses his shot, so his firm hire other assassins to come after him. But, for some reason, they beat his missus up instead. So he gets mad, and kills people, until him and his missus live happily ever after. Oh, and he does it all while listening to The Smiths.

Full of plot holes and inconsistencies. Also, the cost of a 'hit' simply doesn't add up to explain the luxurious lifestyle of any of the assassins featured. I've never understood the economics of how entertainment media portrays these villainous types.

But, if you're bored and want Netflix to help kill an hour and a half, it does the job.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Never see assassins spending their downtime in a Travelodge, true.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Boat Story is supposed to be good. Will get on that this evening
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

First festive film of the season for me- Click & Collect. Stephen Merchant in a Jingle all the way type plot. Quite funny and only an hour long. (Netflix)
CEB

Post by CEB »

Oooh that’ll do nicely
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

CEB wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:15 am Boat Story is supposed to be good. Will get on that this evening
What did you think of it? I accidentally tuned in just before the police station massacre when the couple got pulled over by the dopey copper.

I thought it was far too gory for me and unnecessary gratuitously violent for this day and age. Certainly not my cup of tea for Sunday evening entertainment, at a time of unwinding before Monday morning and a busy week ahead. I liked the black actor who played a great ‘Johnson’ in Peep Show. The lead actress I thought was rubbish and unconvincing. The French actor big shot in private plane looked convincingly evil. Fairbrass played his usual wooden self, typecast as an aggressive villain. Watched about 20 minutes then back too my comfort zone of PBS Cham 84 or Talking Pictures at 82.