New O's Jewish Supporters Group

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Re: New O's Jewish Supporters Group

Post by Hoover Attack »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:26 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:22 am
Long slender neck wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:37 am
Why would a gentile want to join a Jewish supporters club?
Going back to my initial question, why would anyone want to joint this club, what is its purpose?
You do not have to joint it do you?
I could but no, i don’t have to, you are quite right.

Not sure what that has to do with asking what the point of it is, though.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:31 am
Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:26 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:22 am

Going back to my initial question, why would anyone want to joint this club, what is its purpose?
You do not have to joint it do you?
I could but no, i don’t have to, you are quite right.

Not sure what that has to do with asking what the point of it is, though.
You can support them if you join ?
coggos
Fresh Alias

Post by coggos »

I cannot see the point of this new grouping. Surely we are all Orient fans together. Why lay down dividing lines?
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

One can only question the timing of this.
It seems like a divisive and exclusionary club even down to its self-knowing name.
I’m proud the club has traditional links to the Jewish faith but also that so many second generation Irish like me have become supporters.
This smacks of political opportunism
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

coggos wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:09 am I cannot see the point of this new grouping. Surely we are all Orient fans together. Why lay down dividing lines?
Many Sports , workplaces and Professional Organisations have groups within groups
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Could have predicted this would become some kind of culture war issue. Depressing. Hope the new group goes well for all concerned,

Did notice though that one of the founders seems to spend an inordinate amount of time throwing around accusations of antisemitism and general abuse online. Assume these are his personal views, rather than those of this official Orient supporters group.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:36 am Could have predicted this would become some kind of culture war issue. Depressing. Hope the new group goes well for all concerned,

Did notice though that one of the founders seems to spend an inordinate amount of time throwing around accusations of antisemitism and general abuse online. Assume these are his personal views, rather than those of this official Orient supporters group.
Spot on with all points
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

I have always considered Orient to have a strong Jewish following, as I know more Jews who support the O's than have ever met outside football.

The accusations on here that they should not have a group is bizarre. If you follow this through then the you don't agree with the RainbOs being set up.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

We have supporters groups for LGBT and Punjabi fans. Some of these comments are quite unpleasant.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Is it a “culture war issue” though. Because this looks to me like a fairly reasonably discussion surrounding a new group and what the need for it is. I don’t see the need for it, but I’m not against it and I’m certainly not saying it shouldn’t be allowed - I just think we’re all better together. Having separate groups for separate interests is by definition divisive, but good luck to them if that’s what they want to do. I hope they keep their political views internal though because LOFC has associated itself with this group now and I think they should be aligned in their values otherwise it almost certainly will become an issue.
CEB

Post by CEB »

What’s the difference between an accusation that’s “thrown” and an accusation that is asserted?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

o-no wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:12 pm Is it a “culture war issue” though. Because this looks to me like a fairly reasonably discussion surrounding a new group and what the need for it is. I don’t see the need for it, but I’m not against it and I’m certainly not saying it shouldn’t be allowed - I just think we’re all better together. Having separate groups for separate interests is by definition divisive, but good luck to them if that’s what they want to do. I hope they keep their political views internal though because LOFC has associated itself with this group now and I think they should be aligned in their values otherwise it almost certainly will become an issue.
I am fairly sure you do not have to be LGBT to be a supporter of LGBT supporters group . These groups collectively can give individuals comfort and knowledge that they are not alone. I often go to matches alone these days . I am indifferent had I had the choice to go with others but some I expect prefer company. The comments on here about ‘we are of LO fans together’ and implying we are all harmonious made me laugh, especially when thinking of some of the hostile comments on the board at times together with some heated exchanges I have witnessed between our fans at the ground over the years and local pubs. Not entirely hunky dory!
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I would posit that "asserted" would be when you make clear why you think what someone has said or done is racist/antisemitic/transphobic etc whereas an accusation that was "thrown" would suggest a less cautious approach whereby a person uses an accusation repeatedly towards anyone of a different political persuasion or background, regardless of what they have said or done.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:09 pm We have supporters groups for LGBT and Punjabi fans. Some of these comments are quite unpleasant.
I've not seen if the Punjabi fans have altered the badge, RainbO's use the official Club badge which is encircled by Rainbow colours. The badge for this group isn't the official Club badge & to me doesnt do any justice to the star of David or the O's official club badge.
Wallingford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Wallingford O »

I'm beginning to feel a little left out being a heterosexual Irish Roman Catholic....😅
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

bobo66 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm
Scuba Diver wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm
Chicken Dhansak wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:50 am As bobo66 has just said what is the difference which god you pray to, we all love the same club so race or religion should not even be considered.
Especially, when, if you look at events in the world today, it's clear there is no "God", and the ludicrous interpretations/fairy stories built up around said "God", cast as "religion" contribute to most of the genocide on the planet.

Notwithstanding, for me, the Jewish community represent a fine example of integration into this country. Along with others, but unlike others too.

I have Jewish friends and they are amazing people without doubt.

However for me, yet another "are you in our club?" group, is only likely to increase division, not eradicate it and bring unity (which is what I, and no doubt most, want).

London' simpleton mayor's statement of "diversity is our strength" is laughable to all apart from those that wear a red rosette. We should be looking towards "unity", not "diversity".

If there are 3 people sitting at a bus-stop that follow 3 religions and speak 3 different languages and can't communicate, that is not a strength, but a representation of failed unity and a failed system of integration.

Groups of this nature only increase division, by pointing out diffences, and do not promote unity; though of course I do wish "them" (as they clearly now wish to be seen) all well and all success with this venture.
I don't think any of the major conflicts in the world today can be considered to be based on religions, they are about land. What's more to the point in my earlier post, is that you are an atheist, I am a Christian but we are both Orient supporters.
It's not about land. Look how much land there is in the Arabic/Islamic footprint. Thousands and thousands of square miles; loads of it largely unoccupied.

If the Jews relocated to Everest, the Muslims would decide they wanted that land as well.

What it's about is, Muslims hate Jews. Have done for centuries. It's all in their guide-book.

I don't know why they do. I like Jewish people, but it's not about land. That's just the spin they put on it to support their totalitarian racism.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:37 pm
o-no wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:12 pm Is it a “culture war issue” though. Because this looks to me like a fairly reasonably discussion surrounding a new group and what the need for it is. I don’t see the need for it, but I’m not against it and I’m certainly not saying it shouldn’t be allowed - I just think we’re all better together. Having separate groups for separate interests is by definition divisive, but good luck to them if that’s what they want to do. I hope they keep their political views internal though because LOFC has associated itself with this group now and I think they should be aligned in their values otherwise it almost certainly will become an issue.
I am fairly sure you do not have to be LGBT to be a supporter of LGBT supporters group . These groups collectively can give individuals comfort and knowledge that they are not alone. I often go to matches alone these days . I am indifferent had I had the choice to go with others but some I expect prefer company. The comments on here about ‘we are of LO fans together’ and implying we are all harmonious made me laugh, especially when thinking of some of the hostile comments on the board at times together with some heated exchanges I have witnessed between our fans at the ground over the years and local pubs. Not entirely hunky dory!
I'm not sure what point you are making. Whilst we can all agree that the O's are without doubt the finest football team anywhere, it doesn't mean we can't have different opinions about other things, and express those opinions passionately.

As for not having to be LGBT to be a 'supporter' of an LGBT supporters group - are you suggesting that you don't have to be LGBT to be a member of the group, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a requirement that you are LGBT to be in their group, otherwise it isn't really an LGBT group, it's just a group. Perhaps I have misunderstood you and you are saying anyone can 'support' the LGBT supporters group, but that is fairly obvious and doesn't really need pointing out.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Even by usual standards, pretty incred that someone's used a thread about a newly formed Jewish fan's group to try and turn it into an anti-Muslim rant.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

o-no wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:25 pm
I'm not sure what point you are making. Whilst we can all agree that the O's are without doubt the finest football team anywhere, it doesn't mean we can't have different opinions about other things, and express those opinions passionately.

As for not having to be LGBT to be a 'supporter' of an LGBT supporters group - are you suggesting that you don't have to be LGBT to be a member of the group, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a requirement that you are LGBT to be in their group, otherwise it isn't really an LGBT group, it's just a group. Perhaps I have misunderstood you and you are saying anyone can 'support' the LGBT supporters group, but that is fairly obvious and doesn't really need pointing out.
Think we are concurring essentially. As regards the Jewish Group affiliated with the Club I think I read you do not have to be Jewish to join. Accordingly, as regards the LGBT group , I assume you can join and support even if heterosexual. I can see why the groups would allow this so as to promote inclusion I expect.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Is there an entrance exam, then?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

You dont have to be LBGTQ or Jewish Or Irish or Black or Punjabi or White English or indeed Muslim or even Male to be a Leyton Orient fan.

:lofc:
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Orient could have picked many better times to launch this particular group tbf, but that doesn't make any of the "if we ignore discrimination it goes away" logic any more right. London 2023, and still there are people who get freaked out by the fact that we're not culturally homogenous anymore. Mind bottling stuff.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Going back to CEB's earlier question, in hindsight I'd accept that "thrown" was probably a loaded term. I still think the description fits but there's some inherent bias there and is the kind of phrase used by people on the right when they moan about 'the race card' etc. Should probably just have stuck to "accuse".
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Dunno about the entrance exam. Maybe :)

I don't know whether these groups that represent specific interests welcome people who identify themselves as not being in that cohort. Sure, it would be more inclusive but then it waters down the whole point of having a separate group. What if a ton of people who aren't in the natural group join, it could cease to be representative of the interest that it was setup for.

But in reality, why would anyone join a group they're not affiliated with when plenty of generic supporters groups exist - it's not like it's that specific interest O's group or nothing, so I'd completely understand if the special interest groups pushed back on welcoming supporters who aren't aligned to some degree with their interests.

Would be interesting to know from someone involved if this happens, or is even an issue.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

o-no wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:12 pm Dunno about the entrance exam. Maybe :)

I don't know whether these groups that represent specific interests welcome people who identify themselves as not being in that cohort. Sure, it would be more inclusive but then it waters down the whole point of having a separate group. What if a ton of people who aren't in the natural group join, it could cease to be representative of the interest that it was setup for.

But in reality, why would anyone join a group they're not affiliated with when plenty of generic supporters groups exist - it's not like it's that specific interest O's group or nothing, so I'd completely understand if the special interest groups pushed back on welcoming supporters who aren't aligned to some degree with their interests.

Would be interesting to know from someone involved if this happens, or is even an issue.
It's not an issue.