Play offs?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Play offs?

Post by The Reverend »

After a shaky start to the season the past few week have demonstrated that we can certainly compete at this level.

If we had someone up top who could covert we’d be genuine play-offs contenders. I also think that recent performances where the likes of Beckles, Moncur and Pratley have been benched or not been involved at all has confirmed my suspicions about their ability for this league. Fortunately the likes of Cooper & Galbraith have proven to be more than adequate replacements, if not improvements.

We’re already over a quarter of the way into the season and sit in a comfortable mid-table position in what is shaping up to be quite a tight league. Funnily enough the only time I’ve seen us get completely mullered all over the park is against Stevenage! Otherwise I haven’t been blown away by the calibre of performances by the opposition - yet. Makes me think that play offs really aren’t that unrealistic a target.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Play offs?

Post by Long slender neck »

Its good but hope the owners dont get carried away again like they did when Embleton had us in similar position in league two.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:09 am Its good but hope the owners dont get carried away again like they did when Embleton had us in similar position in league two.
Kent has already said in podcasts if we're in with a shout he would go for it.

Difference being under Wellens there's a manager who knows what they're doing and plays good football rather than Embleton where the football was dire and it was only a freak DJ purple patch (coupled with a series of teams gifting him chances) that put us in what I'd say was a position of false hope.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

We need all our players to be braver when near the goal. So many times we get near the opposition box and then pass back
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

www.footballwebpages.co.uk don't seem as confident with their Predicted Final League Table

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... /predicted
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Agree with all the above trouble is coaches now days play the percentage game, you have to work the ball into the penalty area before you can shoot, if you look a Browns goal against Reading,out side the box, Galbraiths effort yesterday where the keeper tipped it over,out side of the box,as Bobby Charlton used to say if you don’t shoot you don’t score,trouble is we very rarely have anyone in the six yard box looking for the rebound 🙈
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

gshaw wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:15 am
Long slender neck wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:09 am Its good but hope the owners dont get carried away again like they did when Embleton had us in similar position in league two.
Not really up to him though, is it?
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Great opportunity to do well this season. Team playing good footy and squad more than capable.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:01 am After a shaky start to the season the past few week have demonstrated that we can certainly compete at this level.

If we had someone up top who could covert we’d be genuine play-offs contenders. I also think that recent performances where the likes of Beckles, Moncur and Pratley have been benched or not been involved at all has confirmed my suspicions about their ability for this league. Fortunately the likes of Cooper & Galbraith have proven to be more than adequate replacements, if not improvements.

We’re already over a quarter of the way into the season and sit in a comfortable mid-table position in what is shaping up to be quite a tight league. Funnily enough the only time I’ve seen us get completely mullered all over the park is against Stevenage! Otherwise I haven’t been blown away by the calibre of performances by the opposition - yet. Makes me think that play offs really aren’t that unrealistic a target.
Beckles & Cooper stopped the rot & were both in great form. Happe has been solid the last 3 games but still has his moments. You must have forgotten Pompey trouncing us.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Good post. Other than Stevenage and Pompey all matches I’ve watched have seen O’s compete.

But a goal scorer is required in January. An absolute must.

Regardless, good to enjoy kid-table security.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

A good last season side needed to adjust, from playing against a lot of mediocre sides to Lg 1, where there are a lot less mediocre sides. WE're showing how much we've learnt, adjusted and are playing good football. However we still have last season's problem - scoring goals. Keeping clean sheets was a tremendous help to getting promoted. I just feel that we need to score more goals and we have to do it over the next 10 matches at least with what we have. If we can do that I can't see any reason why we won't be in the play offs end of season.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Play-offs or a solid Cup run would help us no end. Healthy gate money could improve our finances. Also such games tend to send the fans flocking to buy a new shirt or silly hats. Need blokes to plonk the ball in the back of the net.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

We’ve got potential, like most teams in this league, to make it to the playoffs. We’ve also got a chance our being in a relegation battle if we are unlucky with injuries.

Unfortunately, with a relatively thin squad, when you get to the last quarter of the season and injuries and fatigue are a factor I’m not sure we can keep up. Saying that I’ll be happy to finish 12th. Not sure the owners could find a championship season either
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

OyinbO wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:53 am
gshaw wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:15 am
Not really up to him though, is it?
Isnt he the majority shareholder?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

spen666 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:34 am www.footballwebpages.co.uk don't seem as confident with their Predicted Final League Table

Pompey getting 105 points and not going up would be hilarious. Also Cheltenham ending up 36 points off safety.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Story of O wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:17 am We need all our players to be braver when near the goal. So many times we get near the opposition box and then pass back
Correct . My only criticism of our current side is we're too wasteful in front of goal . We might already have the answer in Dan Agyei but we won't know for sure until about January time . From what I've seen so far we're a match for anybody in League 1 . However to mount a play off challenge we're going to need Agyei to hit the ground running or bring in another striker during the January transfer window . We've got to start sticking away more of our chances .
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Agree with some of the previous comments. We're now difficult to beat but probably don't currently have the firepower to mount a serious challenge at the top end of the table.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Don’t pin too much on Agyei. Back in Jan IF he progresses well, then will take another few months to get full match fitness.
But don’t worry, as Kelman is being lined up for a January return with Drinan moved one.
One other forward to also come in, maybe a loan, depends how Forde shapes up over next few months.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:37 pm
spen666 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:34 am www.footballwebpages.co.uk don't seem as confident with their Predicted Final League Table

Pompey getting 105 points and not going up would be hilarious. Also Cheltenham ending up 36 points off safety.
Can’t see his original post as I have him on foe, but his tripe pops up when people quote him in threads. Would this be a case of Spen posting nonsense as usual?

Claims I’m stalking him yet comes onto my threads to post rubbish…. Strange behaviour.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

The Reverend wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:36 pm

Can’t see his original post as I have him on foe, but his tripe pops up when people quote him in threads. Would this be a case of Spen posting nonsense as usual?

Claims I’m stalking him yet comes onto my threads to post rubbish…. Strange behaviour.
You're the one being ridiculous. And no, it isn't him saying anything nonsense (not that you actually have him on foe, you're not fooling anyone)
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:43 pm

You're the one being ridiculous. And no, it isn't him saying anything nonsense (not that you actually have him on foe, you're not fooling anyone)
He constantly bothers the moderators by reporting my posts even though I haven’t broken any rules in them. He then accuses me of stalking him yet turns up on my thread posting some rubbish prediction league that anyone who knows what a football is can see is a load of nonsense.

And I do have him on foe. Are you able to prove otherwise or are you just making stuff up that you can’t back up?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

The Reverend wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:50 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:43 pm

He constantly bothers the moderators by reporting my posts even though I haven’t broken any rules in them. He then accuses me of stalking him yet turns up on my thread posting some rubbish prediction league that anyone who knows what a football is can see is a load of nonsense.

And I do have him on foe. Are you able to prove otherwise or are you just making stuff up that you can’t back up?
Are you going to sue me over the suggestion you've not foed him? 🤣

And despite all that you say, here you are commenting on a post of his that had nothing to do with you and making a scene about 'your thread' (are you 12?), when all he's done is post an innocuous link. Looks like you're the problem here, maybe reflect on that.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

PKM wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:05 pm Don’t pin too much on Agyei. Back in Jan IF he progresses well, then will take another few months to get full match fitness.
But don’t worry, as Kelman is being lined up for a January return with Drinan moved one.
One other forward to also come in, maybe a loan, depends how Forde shapes up over next few months.
Trouble is Forde is hardly playing
Reflecto
Fresh Alias

Post by Reflecto »

We looked very good for long passages yesterday. If the coaches can get the tean to play earlier and more incisive passes we have a chance for the playoffs. Certainly our form over the last 10 is play off form. Keep it up and we will be in and around the 5th and 6th places!
Also chuffed we are averaging over 8300, however its a reminder that BR is an impediment to progress
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Re. Football Web Page Predictions - Stevenage to finish on 76 and Leyton Orient to finish on 48 points. Do not think so….