Woke watch.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Woke watch.

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Emily Blunt apologises for calling waitress enormous 11 years ago on a chat show

https://news.sky.com/story/emily-blunt- ... normous%22
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Cardiff University’s SU bans blue shirts and chinos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67168572
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:42 pm Cardiff University’s SU bans blue shirts and chinos

Long f#cking time overdue.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Joe315 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:50 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:42 pm Cardiff University’s SU bans blue shirts and chinos

Why?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:54 pm

Why?
Middl age beige & a school shirt & you ask why ? :D
CEB

Post by CEB »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:40 pm Emily Blunt apologises for calling waitress enormous 11 years ago on a chat show

Damn, feel sorry for her, she must have been reading some Roald Dahl and temporarily became evil enough to call a fatty a fatty
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Joe315 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:56 pm

Why?
What’s wrong with blue shirts and/or chinos?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Why?
Everything including those inside.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Joe315 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:33 pm

Why?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

I met Max Boyce in Cardiff few years ago and I was wearing a beige suit and blue shirt and he said I looked smart. He is a great comedian , a national treasure in Wales and beyond.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:00 pm
Joe315 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:33 pm

Why?
Coz it is.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:40 pm Emily Blunt apologises for calling waitress enormous 11 years ago on a chat show

What’s ‘woke’ about apologising for being rude about someone on tv?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

oxo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:40 am

11 years too late. Apologising now as trying to change history.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

11 years too late. Apologising now as trying to change history.
CEB

Post by CEB »

The “woke” aspect is
1: the fact that people search out decades old material to find things that can be framed as “problematic” through a modern lens
2: the OTT self-flagellation that contextualises such things as abhorrent, indefensible, but are in reality the star in question essentially performing a secular version of seeeking to have sins forgiven in order to be accepted by those who will see her as either repentant sinner or unapologetic problematic baddie, depending on whether she apologises or says “it was years ago, f*** off”. No shades of grey, no nuance. It’s Puritanism
CEB

Post by CEB »

Also, as someone who can drift into being a fatty myself, I think the idea of “fat phobia” is bullshit, and I find it much more offensive if people patronisingly make a conscious effort to be like “wow, his body shape is SO valid!” rather than point out that it’s time to lay off the pies and go for a run
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Yeah or maybe when confronted with clip of herself (a conventionally beautiful Hollywood star) being publicly rude about an overweight waitress she understandably felt like a willy and wanted to say sorry
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

CEB wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:01 am Also, as someone who can drift into being a fatty myself, I think the idea of “fat phobia” is bullshit, and I find it much more offensive if people patronisingly make a conscious effort to be like “wow, his body shape is SO valid!” rather than point out that it’s time to lay off the pies and go for a run
If you’re not troubled by people being rude about your body then more power to you, that’s obviously the ideal mindset, but I know several people who have suffered profoundly as a result of weight-related bullying.

(For the record, I’m dead skinny, and I’ve never gotten any sh*t for it)
CEB

Post by CEB »

oxo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:10 am Yeah or maybe when confronted with clip of herself (a conventionally beautiful Hollywood star) being publicly rude about an overweight waitress she understandably felt like a willy and wanted to say sorry
That’s not an “either/or”

It’s absolutely the case that people over the years say things that they regret, and that cast them in a bad light. People are complex, messy, flawed.

The aspect that makes this relevant to the current conversations about “woke” is not “it’s woke to regret stuff you did that was not the best”; it’s that moral puritans trawl through the history of pretty much every public figure in order to find stuff that is less than impeccable according to the people who have positioned themselves as moral arbiters, and then use whatever they find as a way to put pressure on those people to identify themselves as either an apologetic ally who will swear that they will do better, or as a regressive enemy of Kind People, who is therefore fair game for being categorised as a Bad Person, deserving of abuse and cruelty from the kind people.
In this false dichotomy, there’s no room for the fullness of humanity- no room for blind spots, bugbears, areas of differing from ones crowd.
CEB

Post by CEB »

oxo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:16 am
CEB wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:01 am Also, as someone who can drift into being a fatty myself, I think the idea of “fat phobia” is bullshit, and I find it much more offensive if people patronisingly make a conscious effort to be like “wow, his body shape is SO valid!” rather than point out that it’s time to lay off the pies and go for a run
If you’re not troubled by people being rude about your body then more power to you, that’s obviously the ideal mindset, but I know several people who have suffered profoundly as a result of weight-related bullying.

(For the record, I’m dead skinny, and I’ve never gotten any sh*t for it)
There’s a difference between weight related bullying, and commenting on people’s weight with recognition that it’s not ideal to be fat.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Basically, let’s say there was an interview with Ms Blunt, and one of the questions is “do you have any regrets?”.
If she said “when I look back on some of my interviews in the past, I cringe, there’s me, skinny and with a team of dieticians advising me, and me with the time and money to focus on my health, and I just casually referred to someone’s weight negatively. I wouldn’t do that now, and I’d apologise to the woman I referred to that way” - that’s fine, nothing to do with “wokeness” and everything to do with self awareness.
The negative aspect of “wokeness” on this context is all about
1: policing and highlighting people’s histories, and having a superficial idea of people as “good” or “bad” (eg, assuming that OF COURSE a young rich beautiful woman who has been living her life with an ambition to be a film star is likely to be a bit iffy on appearances)

2: pressuring individuals to unambiguously disavow anything problematic whatsoever.

This leaves very little room for people to exist in the public sphere who have a range of views and who are not constantly focused on personal branding, unless they identify themselves as the polar opposite and become the Joe Rogan/GB news type
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

CEB wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:37 am Basically, let’s say there was an interview with Ms Blunt, and one of the questions is “do you have any regrets?”.
If she said “when I look back on some of my interviews in the past, I cringe, there’s me, skinny and with a team of dieticians advising me, and me with the time and money to focus on my health, and I just casually referred to someone’s weight negatively. I wouldn’t do that now, and I’d apologise to the woman I referred to that way” - that’s fine, nothing to do with “wokeness” and everything to do with self awareness.
The negative aspect of “wokeness” on this context is all about
1: policing and highlighting people’s histories, and having a superficial idea of people as “good” or “bad” (eg, assuming that OF COURSE a young rich beautiful woman who has been living her life with an ambition to be a film star is likely to be a bit iffy on appearances)

2: pressuring individuals to unambiguously disavow anything problematic whatsoever.

This leaves very little room for people to exist in the public sphere who have a range of views and who are not constantly focused on personal branding, unless they identify themselves as the polar opposite and become the Joe Rogan/GB news type
Maybe not my lane to comment on given that I have always had the optimal physique of a top grade cafe fighter, but I also worry about about "body positive" being the absolute norm that no-one must challenge any more. Maybe it's a dumb comparison, but I wonder why it's so black and white that, say, anorexia is bad and unhealthy (caveat: I'm not for a second arguing otherwise) and people must be protected from anything that promotes it or glamorises it at all costs, whereas the exact opposite is true for people who are overweight, despite both scenarios often leading to severe problems and negative health outcomes.

This doesn't mean anyone has the right to be abusive or randomly call people a fat c*nt, but it's not always "shaming" to suggest that, in the right circumstances or context, and acknowledging that sometimes there are individual reasons or special circumstances, maybe someone could consider an adjustment in their lifestyle.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I entirely agree with that post, but I have to admit that my favourite bit is your typo where you describe yourself as having the physique of a “top grade cafe fighter”
CEB

Post by CEB »

But yes, the trend of “fat positivity” is a bit grim. At best it’s cynical; magazines that literally created and enforced the ideals for decades suddenly lecturing others that “look! We are putting a gorgeous woman who is a bit overweight on our cover! How brave we are!”, but the really iffy stuff is when actually obese, obviously unhealthy people go all out into propaganda mode, and while the lies around “no, no! Don’t be silly! You can be fat and healthy, says me, a five foot 2 19 stone 35 year old woman whose only other topics of conversation are how depressed and unhappy I am, and how unwell I feel!” are laughable, they serve the same purpose to people with disordered eating that’s geared towards bingeing and excessive consumption, as “thinspiration” blogs served for people with anorexia
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:44 pm This doesn't mean anyone has the right to be abusive or randomly call people a fat c*nt....
I prefer to use the term "heffalump" myself.

Although, even I'm not brave enough to say it to the face of a professional cafe fighter.