ABANDONED GAME

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: ABANDONED GAME

Post by The Mindsweep »

I hear Chris Kamara is the chairman of the EFL panel making the decision
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

It's funny that in Cricket that they have the Duckworth-Lewis method to resolve games abandoned by rain/poor light - based on the run rate and the balls left. If you applied the same theory to this game..we would take the win?

Match stats looked quite similar in terms of shots on/off target - not sure what the xG was?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Petrov788 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:06 pm It's funny that in Cricket that they have the Duckworth-Lewis method to resolve games abandoned by rain/poor light - based on the run rate and the balls left. If you applied the same theory to this game..we would take the win?

Match stats looked quite similar in terms of shots on/off target - not sure what the xG was?
According to The Athletic the xG was
Leyton Orient 1.83 v 0.9 Lincoln
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Petrov788 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:06 pm It's funny that in Cricket that they have the Duckworth-Lewis method to resolve games abandoned by rain/poor light - based on the run rate and the balls left. If you applied the same theory to this game..we would take the win?

Means bugger all I'm afraid.
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

banqo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:25 pm

Yes. I think you'll find the actual goals were Orient 1 Lincoln 0. Never found a league or bet settled on xGoals.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

They should award the points based on both clubs results at Peterborough 0-0 & 4-0
SouthStandPete
Fresh Alias

Post by SouthStandPete »

The Mindsweep wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:20 pm I hear Chris Kamara is the chairman of the EFL panel making the decision
So 3 points to Lincoln then on the basis they would have scored 2 in injury time !
leebmx
Fresh Alias

Post by leebmx »

The best option is surely game is counted as completed at the score at the time. I think Lincoln should suggest this option. I would not want Orient to benefit from a tragedy and I think any it would be the honourable thing for them to concede the game at the current score. I would think the same if we were 1-0 down.

Second option is playing the last few minutes, behind closed doors to avoid excess extra expense.

If the FA were nimble enough they could have asked Lincoln to stay in London for the night and played the last 10 mins or so on the Weds. Or even cleared the crowds out and bought the teams back on, although I imagine some would have found this distasteful.

Completely replaying an almost completed game seems a bad option which makes no sense sportingly, emotionally or financially.

What matters is whether the FA considers anything they decide here as setting some precedent, or whether they are able, and imo should be able, to make decisions as they see fit according to circumstance. For example if they ask us to replay does that mean if a simillar thing happens and somenone is 4-0 up with 5 to go, and for example the floodlights go, the whole game would have to be replayed?

It is going to be interesting to hear their decision, and any reasoning if they permit us. I genuinely can't say where they will fall.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:54 pm
Stan1972 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:29 am I am sure EFL know they have to make a decision before ours and Lincoln’s next League games on 14/10.
So we wait for announcement this week.
Why do they?
Because I want them to 😉
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Knowing our luck the game will be replayed in full in which we lose and someone gets a nasty injury, and we also get a points deduction for the pitch invasion.
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

Adz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:47 pm Knowing our luck the game will be replayed in full in which we lose and someone gets a nasty injury, and we also get a points deduction for the pitch invasion.
Yep, perhaps best to give them the 3 points and call it quits.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

It would seem ridiculous for the EFL to make Lincoln come back to London to play 15 minutes of football. The best course would be for a fan from each side to play each other on EA FC 24. The winner gets the points for the club.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Frogger wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:54 am It would seem ridiculous for the EFL to make Lincoln come back to London to play 15 minutes of football. The best course would be for a fan from each side to play each other on EA FC 24. The winner gets the points for the club.
Don't give them ideas, some people would believe this kind of 'fan engagement' was exactly what the game needs.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Frogger wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:54 am It would seem ridiculous for the EFL to make Lincoln come back to London to play 15 minutes of football. The best course would be for a fan from each side to play each other on EA FC 24. The winner gets the points for the club.
Maybe, like a super fan off. Bring ya drums, that sort of thing. Winner gets 3 points and 1 copy of Panda. The lower gets 0 points and something else
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

The fairest course of action would be we play the remaining minutes up at Lincoln and before the Lincoln home fixture. Yes, we would be playing them in front of a home crowd but it’s only a short amount of time and we did cause the abandonment of the home fixture albeit for an admirable cause after all. It’s the fairest way of doing it but it won’t happen. What will happen is the full game will be replayed IMO.
Holybourne Identity
Fresh Alias

Post by Holybourne Identity »

I think the fairest course of action would be to play the outstanding 10 or so minutes, behind closed doors. Yes it takes some resources but no more than a match in the old Reserves Combination league.

Next fairest would be result stands as 1-0.

Final option is replaying the match in full, with Lincoln allowing Orient to walk the ball into the net on kick-off.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Actually, what I'm fully expecting is the game to be made void and we'll be made to play the whole game again .
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am The fairest course of action would be we play the remaining minutes up at Lincoln and before the Lincoln home fixture. Yes, we would be playing them in front of a home crowd but it’s only a short amount of time and we did cause the abandonment of the home fixture albeit for an admirable cause after all. It’s the fairest way of doing it but it won’t happen. What will happen is the full game will be replayed IMO.
Well if you listen to the EFL guidelines, once they had established the seriousness of the medical emergency - then protocol was to abandon the game. It just took two pitch invasions, booing and screaming - and players refusing to play (on both sides) to make it clear to the match officials that the situation was a serious medical emergency. So no, we didn't cause it to be abandoned.
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

It means something in the sense that there are other sports that have protocols for things like this. Cricket. They use run rate which could be compared to Xg in football.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 am Actually, what I'm fully expecting is the game to be made void and we'll be made to play the whole game again .
Agree. I will be very surprised if it is any other decision.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Petrov788 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:38 am

It means something in the sense that there are other sports that have protocols for things like this. Cricket. They use run rate which could be compared to Xg in football.
It's the same thing as possession stats, they mean sweet FA.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am The fairest course of action would be we play the remaining minutes up at Lincoln and before the Lincoln home fixture. Yes, we would be playing them in front of a home crowd but it’s only a short amount of time and we did cause the abandonment of the home fixture albeit for an admirable cause after all. It’s the fairest way of doing it but it won’t happen. What will happen is the full game will be replayed IMO.
I mean, it's bonkers, but it's probably the second least bonkers idea put forward (besides just awarding us the three points) when you bear in mind what happened a couple of years ago when the ref forgot to play added time and we ended up playing it at the beginning of the second half instead before changing ends.

If Lincoln were safely midtable they'd probably just let us have the three points, but of course they won't know that until the end of the season, and a decision will need to be made much sooner than that.

Much as xG is a bit overdone by some football nerds, the comparison with the Duckworth-Lewis method is sound here, I think.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 am Actually, what I'm fully expecting is the game to be made void and we'll be made to play the whole game again .
No big shock about that, it's always been the favourite
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

I think this is the most likely outcome.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Best option is for Licoln to take the decision that they have lost 1 0. Would be classy thing to do