Rugby World Cup

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Rugby World Cup

Post by Proposition Joe »

Was just checking which games I'd get to have on 'in the background' during the working day and horrified to see the answer is...none. Earliest midweek KO is 4:45, the only early games are on the weekends. Absolute joke of a sport. Say what you like about FIFA (likely all true and fair) but at least the group stages always throw up some good distractions during the day.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

I am really looking forward to this tournament as l love watching Rugby Union games, especially New Zealand.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

The big kick off tonight. Won't catch much of it, if any, as I volunteered for bedtime routine so Mrs PJ could go out to watch NZ in peace. Might make kiddo watch the Haka at least. Hopefully swap roles tomorrow as wouldn't mind seeing England get rolled by the Argies.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

France were brilliant
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Great win for France, Northern Hemisphere needs to dominate this World cup.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm with Kylian.

Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

I rarely manage to sit through an entire game, but over the years have started watching many Scotland games. I'm no closer to understanding the rules than I was 40 years ago. I still don't even understand who gets to throw the ball in when it's booted out, or indeed what he point of the throw-in is as they just throw it squint to their own players
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Celtient - the reason for the scrum and line-outs (throw ins) is that they are the means to re-start the game.

Damn hot in the Stade de France last night, 30-32C at pitch level according to the commentators. As I WhatsApped my old friend and prop forward, we never played in such heat. I said it must have been 35+ in the front row of the scrum, where we used to play.

Good game though.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Celtient wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:21 am I rarely manage to sit through an entire game, but over the years have started watching many Scotland games. I'm no closer to understanding the rules than I was 40 years ago. I still don't even understand who gets to throw the ball in when it's booted out, or indeed what he point of the throw-in is as they just throw it squint to their own players
Generally the side that gets the throw in from the line out is the opposite side that has kicked the ball into touch,unless the side that kicks the ball out has been given a penalty by the ref then they retain possession and get to throw the ball in from the line out.complicated I know. Simply put the ref and linesman always point to the team that has been awarded the advantage. The bit that always confuses me is when the ref calls a foul and plays the advantage there’s no time limit on the advantage it seems to be up to the refs discretion on how the advantage is being played . My advice is to take up watching darts 😂🙈
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:53 am
Celtient wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:21 am I rarely manage to sit through an entire game, but over the years have started watching many Scotland games. I'm no closer to understanding the rules than I was 40 years ago. I still don't even understand who gets to throw the ball in when it's booted out, or indeed what he point of the throw-in is as they just throw it squint to their own players
Generally the side that gets the throw in from the line out is the opposite side that has kicked the ball into touch,unless the side that kicks the ball out has been given a penalty by the ref then they retain possession and get to throw the ball in from the line out.complicated I know. Simply put the ref and linesman always point to the team that has been awarded the advantage. The bit that always confuses me is when the ref calls a foul and plays the advantage there’s no time limit on the advantage it seems to be up to the refs discretion on how the advantage is being played . My advice is to take up watching darts 😂🙈
Advantage is played to allow the non offending team a chance to score, advantage stops if the ball is put in touch,possesion breaks down, or if a more serious penalty occurs. Lineouts can be won by the team who put the ball in touch under the new 50-22 rule.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Men against boys Ireland vs Romania, but at least Romania scored first.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Fiji robbed last night, Wales benefitting from some very lenient reffing.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Scotland were cheated. Seth Effrika should have had a man sent off early doors.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Have no interest in the game but happened to be out on Saturday when our game was on. I know the basics.

But not sure how our guy was sent off and the Argy one only got a yellow as his was a much more cynical attempt to endanger an opponent thought the red was just an accidental clash of heads.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:06 am Fiji robbed last night, Wales benefitting from some very lenient reffing.
That was a cracking game to watch, last 10 must've been horrible to watch for the Welsh fans.

The difference in transparency and speed of decisions with TMO vs VAR is incredible.
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:06 am Fiji robbed last night, Wales benefitting from some very lenient reffing.
Absolutely.

The smaller nations always seem to cop this.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

JimbO wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:00 pm Have no interest in the game but happened to be out on Saturday when our game was on. I know the basics.

But not sure how our guy was sent off and the Argy one only got a yellow as his was a much more cynical attempt to endanger an opponent thought the red was just an accidental clash of heads.
Head contact is deemed as a straight red card. Tacklers responsible for his control. Very Harsh but with Steve Thompson & 169 others filing concussion lawsuits which they claim has lead to dementia, Rugby had to change its rules.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Joe315 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:25 pm
JimbO wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:00 pm Have no interest in the game but happened to be out on Saturday when our game was on. I know the basics.

Head contact is deemed as a straight red card. Tacklers responsible for his control. Very Harsh but with Steve Thompson & 169 others filing concussion lawsuits which they claim has lead to dementia, Rugby had to change its rules.
Fair enough but it was only by luck that the Argy guy didn't put his knee straight into the Kickers head would've thought the rules should at least look at intent to endanger as well as the physical act. My point is can't see why they both aren't red cards in that instance.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

JimbO wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:35 pm
Joe315 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:25 pm

Fair enough but it was only by luck that the Argy guy didn't put his knee straight into the Kickers head would've thought the rules should at least look at intent to endanger as well as the physical act. My point is can't see why they both aren't red cards in that instance.
Agreed,but the law suits are based on lack of care to players with concussions & right now theyve gone totally the other way on head safety.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

FrankOFile wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:04 pm
Absolutely.

The smaller nations always seem to cop this.
The passage of play in the second half which saw Wales penalised 5 times in a row without sanction but the Fijian was binned immediately the first time play went up the other end was nuts.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I was rather surprised to see plucky underdog England win relatively easily v an ‘off-day’ Argentina, and agree Wales were lucky to squeak past the much improved Fiji.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

South Africa v Ireland, absolutely brutal 1st half. Im in pain just watching.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Sounds like it was a brilliant game, caught the last 30 seconds, FFS.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Great game, both with a chance to win it right to the end.