Nigel Travis interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

PKM
Fresh Alias

Re: Nigel Travis interview

Post by PKM »

Pity we can’t offload ‘sick note’ Thompson & Drinan
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:15 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:33 am
The Reverend wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:17 am

Travis or the podcast host?
Nigel. Some of it was good as usual but his attitude was off for me. I’m sure others will see things differently. Worth a listen

Maybe Nigel should take over some of the cafes in the high street and make a fan hub in there :D
Said in jest but actually not a bad idea.

I’d love to give all my match day money to Orient. But reality is I want a nice coffee, a decent pint or two and something either healthy or tasty and fresh and Orient offer none of that
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I'm not about to start to criticise Nigel Travis he's pumped £millions into the club but I agree that food and drink offerings need looking at if they want to entice people in earlier before games. I'd be more inclined to criticise Mark Devlin who has not yet replaced our previous stadium sponsor who left at the end of the 2020/21 Season, it's one of the largest sponsorships for any club and he's even spent money on consultants and still no new sponsor. Not good enough. From what I can see his major achievement has been purchasing second hand perimeter boards.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:00 pm
Nigel. Some of it was good as usual but his attitude was off for me. I’m sure others will see things differently. Worth a listen

Maybe Nigel should take over some of the cafes in the high street and make a fan hub in there :D

I’d love to give all my match day money to Orient. But reality is I want a nice coffee, a decent pint or two and something either healthy or tasty and fresh and Orient offer none of that
Indeed, it could actually work. Orient need more hospitality space if they want to control the revenue stream but as they've admitted themselves the ground doesn't have the capacity, especially in the East Stand.

Something worth investigating with the council should any of the high street shops struggle to fill any of the units.

Somewhere comfortable to watch any early KO games, then Orient TV could start earlier and do a bit more content reviewing the week that was and so on as further background content.

Until they can sort a new ground thinking outside the box is the way forward. Shame we don't have control of the rest of the commercial space as the Pharmacy area would've been ideal for this.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:16 am Lovely ending from the lord and saviour

‘If you’re eating/drinking away from the ground, you’re taking money away from Leyton Orient… thank you for your support’
Perhaps by reducing the price of Beer and Spirits fan will arrive earlier. I paid £9,30 for a pint and half of lager shandy in the South stand.They should also put up a board in the bar showing all prices of drinks
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

This has gone well, Nigel
Mickys Bullock
Fresh Alias

Post by Mickys Bullock »

‘If you’re eating/drinking away from the ground, you’re taking money away from Leyton Orient… thank you for your support’

Let me spend my hard earned cash instead of card only and I will support the club Nigel. Otherwise I will continue to exercise different options.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Top Wumming by Niggle on this one. All the years reading the Board has been a solid investment. We have taught him well. He just has to remember he wasn't Boardin' at the time.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

PKM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:36 am Fascinating and wide ranging interview with Nigel
-sorry if it’s been posted up here before

I don’t normally listed as the podcast is too long for my attention span, but well worth making the effort to listen to Nigel.

Subjects covered included
5 year plan-to get into the Championship
New training ground
New ground
Transfers in and possibly out this week
Ritchie Wellens
Nigel and the bod’s commitment to the O’s , they’ve put in millions
Please spend more money and time at Brizzy Rd

Anyway, worth a listen

https://m.soundcloud.com/orient-outlook

I think this is the link
Paul and Steve used to put the link up on here every Sunday evening but for some reason they don't appear to be doing that anymore . It was handy because I always knew when the latest episode was available . I always listen to them and last night was very good as usual . It really is a great listen for all Orient supporters .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:31 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:00 pm

Indeed, it could actually work. Orient need more hospitality space if they want to control the revenue stream but as they've admitted themselves the ground doesn't have the capacity, especially in the East Stand.

Something worth investigating with the council should any of the high street shops struggle to fill any of the units.

Somewhere comfortable to watch any early KO games, then Orient TV could start earlier and do a bit more content reviewing the week that was and so on as further background content.

Until they can sort a new ground thinking outside the box is the way forward. Shame we don't have control of the rest of the commercial space as the Pharmacy area would've been ideal for this.
Nigel said they estimate a new stadium would cost roughly around £100million . That's a lot of cheese .
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Ah bugger, I'm going to have to listen to this now.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Max Fowler wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:43 pm Ah bugger, I'm going to have to listen to this now.
It's at the beginning so you can get through it quick, do 1.5x speed you'll be done in 10 mins
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

TBF I don't think it's the first time that NT has said something like this about food & drink. Maybe he was just grumpy this time because he's been rattled by something else.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Most of the interview is reasonable, open communication, which is great - we haven't had that from an owner before. But aside from the fact that the club's food and drink offer is awful and also really hard to access due to overcrowding, going to the pub or a local cafe/restaurant is a tradition as old as going to a game, and a part of the 'economic, social and political' value of the club to the area. Even if the booze and food was better, spending ages in a rubbish environment (east stand concourse or a completely artificially lit south stand are quite bleak) isn't how most people want to spend their time or money.

Maybe he was caught on bad day where he was told he was gonna have to cough up a load more money than he originally thought, cause it's an unusually tone deaf comment for a guy who normally says the right things.

Interesting to hear there's some departures expected, can't figure out who that'd be other than Thompson or Drinan. Everyone else is clearly important to Wellens, but those two are surely too injury prone for a league 2 club to take on their wages.
DaveDunmore
Fresh Alias

Post by DaveDunmore »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:18 pm
The inner businessman came out there. The desire to cut losses is now greater than the need to be liked at all times. Could be argued he's earned the right to say that having completed the 6 year plan.

On the food and drink side until Orient install a Costa Coffee, cost cafe and less crowded bar facilities people will continue to go elsewhere.

Sitting in your seat for an hour before the game is pretty dull going and if thousands of fans are going to be in the hospitality areas it'll get very uncomfortable very quickly.

He can’t keep saying ‘I’ve personally invested millions because I’m a fan’ and then follow up with the opposite attitude.
He’s rattled a few cages on here ( good for you Nigel)😂😂
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

OyinbO wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:51 pm TBF I don't think it's the first time that NT has said something like this about food & drink. Maybe he was just grumpy this time because he's been rattled by something else.
Yes?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm On another note we can make a guess that Kelman might be one of the ins, alongside perhaps another CB.

Who might be going the other way, especially from a senior pro POV?
Well that is an interesting point and wonder who ( If anyone ) will be going out on loan or leaving the club completely, especially if it is..... '' a senior pro'' ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OyinbO wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:51 pm TBF I don't think it's the first time that NT has said something like this about food & drink. Maybe he was just grumpy this time because he's been rattled by something else.
Fair point. Probably down to his last million.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:09 pm
gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm On another note we can make a guess that Kelman might be one of the ins, alongside perhaps another CB.

Well that is an interesting point and wonder who ( If anyone ) will be going out on loan or leaving the club completely, especially if it is..... '' a senior pro'' ?
Looking at the squad the only ones who aren't injured that you could take away and not have a major effect on selection might be

Sotiriou (given another attacking player coming in and Galbraith now available)
Sweeney / Hunt (pick one)
Byrne / Howes (pick one)

If you have to pick one to sell Sotiriou in last year of contract could net some cash for a L2 club looking for a promotion push perhaps. Sweeney too though be surprised if we sell someone who just got a new contract.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:25 pm

Looking at the squad the only ones who aren't injured that you could take away and not have a major effect on selection might be

Byrne / Howes (pick one)

If you have to pick one to sell Sotiriou in last year of contract could net some cash for a L2 club looking for a promotion push perhaps. Sweeney too though be surprised if we sell someone who just got a new contract.
I would hardly class Ruel as a senior pro, he is fit and an ever present in the side and so far our top goal scorer and RW likes him, so little to no chance of that happening . By the way....you really have got a thing about Ruel haven't you !
Well hardly likely to be Pratley, Thompson is injured ( yet again ) so highly unlikely that he can be off loaded....a long shot...Beckles ?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Byrne / Howes (pick one)

I would hardly class Ruel as a senior pro, he is fit and an ever present in the side and so far our top goal scorer and RW likes him, so little to no chance of that happening . By the way....you really have got a thing about Ruel haven't you !
Well hardly likely to be Pratley, Thompson is injured ( yet again ) so highly unlikely that he can be off loaded....a long shot...Beckles ?
I thought you might say that about Ruel lol, in this case looking at it from a practical perspective for players who might

a) bring in a transfer fee
b) could leave on a free in summer
c) be of interest to other clubs (in this case a higher L2 side perhaps)
d) in an area of the squad we can cover

As you say there's not many right now. May have mis-heard but think Travis said something alluding to not all of it has to happen straight away so it could be likes of Thompson in January once fit and just some youth players heading out on loan this week. Should be an interesting end to the window.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:56 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Byrne / Howes (pick one)

I thought you might say that about Ruel lol, in this case looking at it from a practical perspective for players who might

a) bring in a transfer fee
d) in an area of the squad we can cover

As you say there's not many right now. May have mis-heard but think Travis said something alluding to not all of it has to happen straight away so it could be likes of Thompson in January once fit and just some youth players heading out on loan this week. Should be an interesting end to the window.
Thanks but as to the reasons you gave as to why it could be Ruel leaving this week ( highly unlikely in my mind )

Well both B and C of your reasons could well apply to quite a few other Os players other than Ruel whose contracts also run out at the end of this season and especially applies to Dan Happe who as I recall only has a contract till January 2024 !
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Just re-run the podcast to find the quote for accuracy

07:55

"we'd have to do some loans out of senior transfers to recover (the budget) or even a transfer or two... but nothing is precisely planned"

And yup Happe is another one in a bit of transfer limbo as that extension did seem very temporary on both the club's part and his.

I can't think of many others that are in that territory where there would be clubs queuing up for a transfer opportunity and we could do it without hurting the squad depth, not until all the walking wounded are back fit at least.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:47 pm Just re-run the podcast to find the quote for accuracy

07:55

"we'd have to do some loans out of senior transfers to recover (the budget) or even a transfer or two... but nothing is precisely planned"

And yup Happe is another one in a bit of transfer limbo as that extension did seem very temporary on both the club's part and his.

I can't think of many others that are in that territory where there would be clubs queuing up for a transfer opportunity and we could do it without hurting the squad depth, not until all the walking wounded are back fit at least.
Am I right in thinking that they are talking about this all happening by the transfer deadline happening this week, if so then will be interesting to see what happens ?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Listening to it now. Nigel is narked (understandably) at the question about what will happen to the Alzate sell-on fee - 'Will it stay in the club?'

FFS.