Exiles thread - Charlton (A)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Eggski
Fresh Alias

Re: Exiles thread - Charlton (A)

Post by Eggski »

Never been impressed by sweeney or hunt . Hopefully they prove me wrong
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

MrB wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:19 pm
Bergen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:33 pm Defensively Sweeney looked ok, but he didn`t offer anything in attack.
Can’t put a cross in for toffee
Who’s Toffee our new No.9, I hope the ball will stick with him
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Eggski wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:40 pm Never been impressed by sweeney or hunt . Hopefully they prove me wrong
To be fair to Hunt, that’s the first time I’ve seen him really struggle defensively. Considering we were playing a back five I am surprised he didn’t get a bit more assistance. Prats helped him out on occasion but nobody else.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:30 am
Eggski wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:40 pm Never been impressed by sweeney or hunt . Hopefully they prove me wrong
To be fair to Hunt, that’s the first time I’ve seen him really struggle defensively. Considering we were playing a back five I am surprised he didn’t get a bit more assistance. Prats helped him out on occasion but nobody else.
We didn't play a back 5.

We were our normal 4-3-3 with the ball, but as soon as they had the ball we went to a 4-4-2-0 - Piggot and Theo up top but letting the CBs have the ball and stopping the full backs coming out with it. This meant James had Sweeney protecting him but Hunt didn't have any support in front. Also note that Hunt and James had been deliberately switched around as James wasn't trusted to defend against their left winger.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I think without the ball we dropped to a five at times. Sweeney was often on the left of TJ.

On occasion we played nice football and passed through them. I agree Charlton will be top six but they were by no means flawless, particularly at the back. Long way to go. Yes we are lacking a bit up front but we have put together a half decent squad.

I think the change of pace caught certainly the defence a little by surprise but I think we have more than enough to compete at this level.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

One or two pieces to complete the jigsaw.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I've only just now seen the goal .Wow Hunt really was roasted , wasn't he . Blackett-Taylor skipped past Hunt like he wasn't there .
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Have just seen the highlights. The goal came from an error, Charlton had more chances as one would expect from the home team, Ruel had a decent effort blocked, we played some decent stuff. Didn't see too much of a gap between the teams so plenty to be optimistic about
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 am I've only just now seen the goal .Wow Hunt really was roasted , wasn't he . Blackett-Taylor skipped past Hunt like he wasn't there .
Happened for most of the game. Blackett Taylor was the standout player.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:27 am I think without the ball we dropped to a five at times. Sweeney was often on the left of TJ.

On occasion we played nice football and passed through them. I agree Charlton will be top six but they were by no means flawless, particularly at the back. Long way to go. Yes we are lacking a bit up front but we have put together a half decent squad.

I think the change of pace caught certainly the defence a little by surprise but I think we have more than enough to compete at this level.
Not going to argue about the formation - Sweeney was tasked with tracking their wide man all the way back but it wasn't as if James was tucking in with the CBs. The plan was clearly to protect James and leave Hunt 1v1.