The football league

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Newtonian
Fresh Alias

The football league

Post by Newtonian »

It really is a thousand times better than National League hell.

Everything about yesterday was miles better.

The standard of football by both teams

The standard of officiating (Cheltenham fans may disagree with this but it was significantly better than any of the cr*p we had to put up with in the National League)

The away fans were a class act

We even have a little snippet in the Evening Standard on Fridays.

Yesterday was a bittersweet occasion for obvious reasons but overall I’m just really happy that we’re back in the football league. And it’s all thanks to that great man who is no longer with us.

Thank you Justin. Even though you aren’t here anymore, you still managed to make my weekend.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Re: The football league

Post by EastDerehamO »

Get your sentiment Newtonian and agree with what you say. From the moment we survived as a club at the point when NT & KT took over – first box ticked – all I wanted was for us to get back into the EFL, and we did it in realistically the quickest time I thought possible.

But despite everything, I feel somehow better for the experience of two seasons in the National League, the way the club came back together was wonderful to witness, it’s part of our history now and I wouldn’t change a thing (apart from JE still being with us). And my interest in the National League will remain, there are some decent clubs down there, albeit I’m happy if we don’t go down and join them again!

Looked at the Notts County result in their opener and thought yep welcome to the National League, you are the big fish there now and everyone will be gunning for you. But like us they will turn it around I’m sure, may not be instant, but they will come back stronger.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Anyone else see the 60 yarder from Nathan Clarke?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Have to agree. TBH for me, over the last few years, I've started falling more and more out of love with the club and the experience of going. Even last year when we were doing well.

I really enjoyed Saturday, although bittersweet. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we haven't been in the football league, under decent owners and a sense of happiness and pride for 5 years!
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I was going to put a post in yesterday on this, but a 200 mile drive left me too tired.........

When we went down to the murky depths of the NL, I, like everyone else was devastated. After seeing us perform in the NL, i thought I might never live long enough to see us back in the league ( Wrexham was on my mind etc)

When the match kicked off, i finally realised we really were back in the 'proper' league, and it was such a wonderful feeling, and with a team, miles better than the one we had last time we were in league 2
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

No doubt,It's a real roller coaster ride supporting Leyton Orient.Hang on tight.
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

Couldn’t agree more. Non league was exactly what it said on the tin. It just felt so half baked- loads of opposition teams interested in more of a rugby match than a football one and with fans that couldn’t really care less barring a couple. Would be delighted if we never have to come across playing a BorehamWood or a Solihull again.

It’s great to be back in a league that actually means something to people amongst proper football clubs
Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Post by Forty-Niner »

When we got relegated, someone on the board had a friend who supported a Conference team. He warned, we would find a big difference in the standard of refereeing. How right he was.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Forty-Niner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 am When we got relegated, someone on the board had a friend who supported a Conference team. He warned, we would find a big difference in the standard of refereeing. How right he was.
To be fair tons of people said the same thing..And indeed it was a baptism of fire
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

Newtonian wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:21 pm It really is a thousand times better than National League hell.

Everything about yesterday was miles better.

The standard of football by both teams

The standard of officiating (Cheltenham fans may disagree with this but it was significantly better than any of the cr*p we had to put up with in the National League)

The away fans were a class act

We even have a little snippet in the Evening Standard on Fridays.

Yesterday was a bittersweet occasion for obvious reasons but overall I’m just really happy that we’re back in the football league. And it’s all thanks to that great man who is no longer with us.

Thank you Justin. Even though you aren’t here anymore, you still managed to make my weekend.
Thats the best post of this season..
Pure poetry