Holiday

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Holiday

Post by Friend or fart »

So where you going, or where have you been? Who is gonna brave enough to admit it is a day trip to Sarfend, or be a " look at me " & say they are spending 6 weeks at Bora Bora? Brora would be exotic for me! But I have actually spent a pleasant week there 25 years ago, we had a cottage right by the 10th hole. I can't boast a flash holiday. Two wives have left me far too impoverished. But me & the doggie will have a nice time ( hopefully ) in a pleasant hotel at the top of Ventnor.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Re: Holiday

Post by Celtient »

It's having two wives that keeps you impoverished. You should ditch one of them. Did you visit Dudgeon Park whilst in Brora? One of the world's greatest football stadiums in my opinion
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

No I was with my second wife at the time & one had to keep her occupied. She didn't do football then, although she is now a O's supporter ( sort of ). We had her son & 2 foster daughters too. Went to John o Groats & a boat trip around Stroma ( one of the best things I have ever done ). Brora always went under my radar, but I always note their result on a Saturday. We only went there because the ex wanted access to a swimming pool. The house we stayed at, belonged to the hotel that owned the golf course, so we had free access to their swimming pool. My ambition is to go to Edinburgh again to see Hibees at home to Hearts. But I would have to organise a dog sitter in Edinburgh. I also want to see the Scot's Honours. Bloody train strikes make organising that a pain.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Had a week in Suffolk this month. Not exactly 'relaxing' coordinating toddler, MiL and the two dogs but got into a decent enough routine, had a garden(!), lovely village with a great pub, couple of trips to the beach and absolutely nailed it weatherwise for once.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Off to Hame'ldaeme this year.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

As usual, me and the missus will be at Loggerheads all summer long
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

spen666 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:23 am As usual, me and the missus will be at Loggerheads all summer long
:D
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Done America , Australia , Singapore and Fiji in the past as well as the Canary Islands and Croatia , about 10 year ago we went to Cala Bona in Majorca and loved the resort so much we've been back 11 times and will indeed return in October 👍👍
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

spen666 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:23 am
As usual, me and the missus will be at Loggerheads all summer long

You ain't married to CBE are you?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Went to Norfolk end of March. All got c-diff, tyre burst and it pissed down.

Considering a big all inclusive to a European destination but irks I have to pay full price for a 2 year old. Can’t afford it so it’s a question of going into debt for a mental break or staying here and getting committed
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Just returned from a week in Germany and got a trip booked to the Netherlands later in the year.
Also hope to get to Stuttgart for a Christmas market and a general look around the area.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Going Blackpool in August, that's it this year.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:15 am Went to Norfolk end of March.
I really like north Norfolk. Wells-next-the-Sea and all that.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:34 am Done America , Australia , Singapore and Fiji in the past as well as the Canary Islands and Croatia , about 10 year ago we went to Cala Bona in Majorca and loved the resort so much we've been back 11 times and will indeed return in October 👍👍
I never got all this "going back 11 times" as I always like to see new places. I coud have easily written that in 2014 a this November will be my 7th time to Costa Adeje! Perfect, as yours must be, for that time of year and at our time of life.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

oxo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:38 am
OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:15 am Went to Norfolk end of March.
yeah, same. Funnily enough i only went for the first time in 2020, literally 2 weeks before covid and had a day trip to Wells. This year stayed at Cromer, which was nice as well.
oriboy
Fresh Alias

Post by oriboy »

I have twice stayed in an holiday home that's a converted windmill, near Saxmundham. Great little place to explore from and as cheap as chips.
IIRC it was around £450 for a week in peak season when we went, added bonus is the Adnams brewery just up the road!
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:47 am
yeah, same. Funnily enough i only went for the first time in 2020, literally 2 weeks before covid and had a day trip to Wells. This year stayed at Cromer, which was nice as well.
Gotta have the obligatory crab sandwich up there.

Quite fancy going and having a look at those bee eaters near Cromer. Worringly, I'm becoming a bit of a bird nerd these days.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

oriboy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:49 am
I have twice stayed in an holiday home that's a converted windmill, near Saxmundham. Great little place to explore from and as cheap as chips.
IIRC it was around £450 for a week in peak season when we went, added bonus is the Adnams brewery just up the road!
Sounds excellent
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Off to Fiji for a week in august. Not much holiday this year as everything's so expensive, but already booked a few things for next year as they're cheaper
CEB

Post by CEB »

No holiday this year as doing up this house has been such a pain in the arse - and we’re still not done - that once we are done, spending more money to go away just feels perverse.

There was a “hilarious” misunderstanding a month or so ago when having a holiday conversation with my wife, where I learned that apparently the birthday card from a while back saying “and we’ll definitely go on holiday soon…” wasn’t my wife giving me a heads up that she was sorting a holiday as a birthday present 😬
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Due to go on a 2 week holiday, which would probably have been the last with our two youngest, but had to cancel due to Covid in 2020 & 2021. We got full credit on our deposit but we couldn't fit it in 2022, but here we are as I type.

We are in a static caravan on a Yelloh campsite in the Jura region in the east of France. Initially we booked a 3 bedroom but because the kids have left school and do over things we have a smaller one for just my wife and I. Saved lots of money too because, not only is our accommodation cheaper, but we have came away not having to pay school holiday prices.

First long holiday without the kids.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Always a sore topic. Upping the prices for school holidays. Officialdom making life unpleasant if you take them in term time. Speaking from personal experience, I have found that a good holidays can provide a whole term's worth of formal education. My first holiday abroad when I was 12 ( at a time few went abroad ), taught me a host of things that have stayed with me for 63 years. [ EG: it is useful to know a foreign language, don't stay out in the sun too long, Britain used to be the best country in the World & Johnny Foreigner looked up to us ( except the French ), things are a long way apart when you get out of the UK ]. Oh! & never trust stereotypes.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Malta for a week in September once the kids have gone back to school.

New York for 5 nights in October hopefully too.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Just had 12 days in Vilamoura Portugal loads of sunshine good food nice people 😃
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:34 am Done America , Australia , Singapore and Fiji in the past as well as the Canary Islands and Croatia , about 10 year ago we went to Cala Bona in Majorca and loved the resort so much we've been back 11 times and will indeed return in October 👍👍
I thought you were poor?