Cheltenham (H) Matxh / Exiles Thread

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheltenham (H) Matxh / Exiles Thread

Post by Admin »

Welcome back to the Football League - today is sure to be an emotional one.

For the first time in 25 years I find myself an exile on the opening day due to a long ago booked holiday. Thanks again to Mrs FTC for that....
Orient2001
Fresh Alias

Re: Cheltenham (H) Matxh / Exiles Thread

Post by Orient2001 »

Ghostkidofthenorth
Fresh Alias

Post by Ghostkidofthenorth »

Lots of attacking options on the bench but surprised Turley isn't there, is he injured?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

admin wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 pm Welcome back to the Football League - today is sure to be an emotional one.

For the first time in 25 years I find myself an exile on the opening day due to a long ago booked holiday. Thanks again to Mrs FTC for that....
Find a bar - get your laptop/ipad out - Orient TV for a fiver - sorted!
Orient2001
Fresh Alias

Post by Orient2001 »

Fred wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:17 pm Lots of attacking options on the bench but surprised Turley isn't there, is he injured?
I think so, I don’t think he’s had any game time in pre-season
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

No Widdowson. Is he injured?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Bergen wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:32 pm No Widdowson. Is he injured?
Groin strain
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:17 pm
admin wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 pm Welcome back to the Football League - today is sure to be an emotional one.

Already sorted - weather here in Florida is pretty poo poo so perfect timing to chill indoors. Slightly concerned to see broadcasting doesn't start for an hour and half though.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Hello from Bergen.

Look forwad to watch the game.

COME ON ORIENT
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

a nice stout in the SC bar plus a few words from Teague and a minutes silence impeccably here honoured.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

admin wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm
BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Already sorted - weather here in Florida is pretty poo poo so perfect timing to chill indoors. Slightly concerned to see broadcasting doesn't start for an hour and half though.
I've been on to Elliott and he's working on it so I'm hoping the broadcast will start in 15 mins. I'll be asking for a refund or a freebie next home game if not.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Can't believe it's the start of another season. But great it's EFL again! Come on O's!!!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

So how do you thank Cheltenham fans for the flag. Drench them with the pitch watering system
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

Here in sunny England, can't get to the match and the Wifi has gone walkabouts. Start as you mean to go on eh!
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Lively opening few minutes. Penalty appeal for Cheltenham ending up booking for a dive, Wilkinson hits the bar (offside in build-up), Brill makes point blank save from a header, goes down injured and off subbed for Sargeant. Came back from injury too soon?
Delamod
Fresh Alias

Post by Delamod »

Greetings from sunny Biarritz au Pays De Basque (rugby country).
Glad to see us keeping it on the deck.
Nice banner from Cheltenham.
Fair play for Brill not trying to play through the knock.
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

Think we've looked good
i8ubutler
Regular
Regular

Post by i8ubutler »

In other news, the delightful David Warner caught behind for 8.
Convicts 13 - 1.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

0-0 HT, pretty much the kind of game I was expecting we might see. Both sides playing decent, if not sparkling football.

Refreshing to see a half where there's no GBH tackles, fouls are actually given and both sides try and play football. If anyone says there's no difference between NL and L2 they're either drunk or need their eyes testing 😄

Brill didn't look fully fit and lucky to get away with that pen appeal as he didn't get to that loose ball. Made a cracking point blank save but went down straight after, concerning.

Defensively Ekpiteta has had more of a challenge today than he did all last season (bar Salford game). Big season for him against more skillful opponents. Similar for Happe up against pacy players. Coulson looks calm as ever. Ling for me one of our best players this half, good outlet for crosses and trying to get forward.

Clay looks well up for it in CM and JMD is trying to be everywhere. The 5-3-2 makes us very narrow though and it's stifling attacking options and finding space.

Upfront Wilkinson and Angol both look handy. Like the work rate from both and some tricky footwork from Angol. Need to give them some better opportunities though, which is going to be the challenge with this formation.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

orienfan64920 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:52 pm Think we've looked good
I agree..Only thing annoying me is WHY won’t Ling take his man on?? He’s had ample opportunities
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm 0-0 HT, pretty much the kind of game I was expecting we might see. Both sides playing decent, if not sparkling football.

Refreshing to see a half where there's no GBH tackles, fouls are actually given and both sides try and play football. If anyone says there's no difference between NL and L2 they're either drunk or need their eyes testing 😄

Brill didn't look fully fit and lucky to get away with that pen appeal as he didn't get to that loose ball. Made a cracking point blank save but went down straight after, concerning.

Defensively Ekpiteta has had more of a challenge today than he did all last season (bar Salford game). Big season for him against more skillful opponents. Similar for Happe up against pacy players. Coulson looks calm as ever. Ling for me one of our best players this half, good outlet for crosses and trying to get forward.

Clay looks well up for it in CM and JMD is trying to be everywhere. The 5-3-2 makes us very narrow though and it's stifling attacking options and finding space.

Upfront Wilkinson and Angol both look handy. Like the work rate from both and some tricky footwork from Angol. Need to give them some better opportunities though, which is going to be the challenge with this formation.
Good half time report..Thing is I disagree about Ling being our best player..
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Decent opening 45. Faster football caught us out early on but now up with the speed. Refereeing better quality too. Some good signs with the squad and play. Should be a good second 45
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Ditto the last 2 posts
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

MrB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm 0-0 HT, pretty much the kind of game I was expecting we might see. Both sides playing decent, if not sparkling football.

Ling not offering much attacking threat bar long throws. Brophy offers far more. Ling always looking for the short ball to someone else. Needs to take more responsibility
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

dOh Nut wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:02 pm
MrB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Ling not offering much attacking threat bar long throws. Brophy offers far more. Long always looking for the short ball to someone else. Needs to take more responsibility
He looks forward but there's nothing in front of him because of the 5-3-2 there's no width. Would like to see us go for it 4-4-2 with Dennis coming on for Happe or Ekpiteta.

It's kinda going as one of the posters on here said a while back, reasonably solid defensively so won't concede loads but not much threat of scoring many either.

Much more enjoyable to watch though, it's actual football rather than a fight with a ball somewhere in the vicinity.