Video game recommendations

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB

Re: Video game recommendations

Post by CEB »

“I have seen little evidence of them increasing grey matter”

If the “punters playing vacuous games” had increased their grey matter, what would you have been looking for as evidence of this?
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

CEB:- If the “punters playing vacuous games” had increased their grey matter, what would you have been looking for as evidence of this?
An improvement in the Boarding comments of CEB & his ilk- I am afraid I can see no evidence of this whatsoever. Moreover the confirmation of my gaming/IQ inverse proportion theorem is becoming more & more evident. Time for a break from the joystick CEB!
leebmx
Fresh Alias

Post by leebmx »

Friend or faux wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:09 am Spend a little time watching punters playing these vacuous games. I have seen little evidence of them increasing grey matter. I have conducted private research and I am beginning to come to the conclusion that someone's addiction to video gaming is likely to be in inverse proportion to their IQ.
Peter Grimson Harvard University has found: There is strong evidence.- Gaming has also been associated with sleep deprivation, insomnia and circadian rhythm disorders, depression, aggression, and anxiety.
Buy some books & read 'em.
It is quite possible to do both. I manage it.

Like most art forms a large chunk of video games are sh*t, some pass the time nicely, and the best are exciting, educational and moving like a great book, movie or piece of music.

I would be interested to see your 'private research'. My guess is that it is mostly ill-informed prejudice. The vast majority of the world play games of some description and there is no proper research which shows that gaming makes people violent or depressed. The best I would give you is that people who are dissatisfied with their place in the world are more likely to throw themselves into rich imaginary worlds as an escape. Often they find community and validation in these spaces that the so called 'normal world' denies them.

I am afraid I find your stance superior and belittling with little to justify it. Your attitude to reading is the sort of thing which puts so many people of books at an early age. Enjoying culture should be about exactly that, enjoyment, not some race to self-improvement.
Lost not Found
Fresh Alias

Post by Lost not Found »

I've just got round to getting 'Untitled Goose Game' having eyed it up for a while and am enjoying it. These days a puzzle game you can dip in and out of is a lot easier to find time for then a lot of the epics that need an hour before you've come to end of the first cutscene.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Lost not Found wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:28 pm I've just got round to getting 'Untitled Goose Game' having eyed it up for a while and am enjoying it. These days a puzzle game you can dip in and out of is a lot easier to find time for then a lot of the epics that need an hour before you've come to end of the first cutscene.
The flop Gollum game should’ve been based around that template, you go round annoying Hobbits & Elves
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Good fun that goose game.
Friend or faux wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:09 am Buy some books & read 'em.
What books have you enjoyed most so far this year?
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

oxo:- What books have you enjoyed most so far this year?

This year I found Lissa Evans ( no relative ) I enjoyed the film Their Finest ( Bill Nighy )- discovered it was based on her book which I read last year, far more elaborate than the film. This year I read her trilogy starting with Old Baggage they are all excellent. Made me understand my dad, who was killed when I was a baby- Must have been terrifying working outside during the blitz in a target area. At the moment reading Pat Reid's book on Colditz- Learnt from this, that the Germans sent up a manned rocket in the 1920's and were writing about rocket warfare at that date. Also read a good account of Lewis & Clarke's epic journey of discovery. Although Lewis took one of his black slaves with him, he gave him a vote in decision making as well as a native Indian squaw. Even had a Newfoundland dog called Seaman that the Indians tried to nick ( I hope he bit them! )
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Friend or faux wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:09 am Spend a little time watching punters playing these vacuous games. I have seen little evidence of them increasing grey matter. I have conducted private research and I am beginning to come to the conclusion that someone's addiction to video gaming is likely to be in inverse proportion to their IQ.
Peter Grimson Harvard University has found: There is strong evidence.- Gaming has also been associated with sleep deprivation, insomnia and circadian rhythm disorders, depression, aggression, and anxiety.
Buy some books & read 'em.
You have not done research, you've read other people's research, and then just made something up. You're also conflating addiction with gaming. Addiction is bad regardless of what you are addicted too as it's taken to extremes. Reading books would have the same effects as mentioned if you stayed up all night doing it.

Interestingly the type of game you play does matter for brain plasticity. Here's a couple of papers on it, in short first person shooting games are bad, one's that employ 3d spatial awareness are good.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6826942/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28785110/
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Will admit that gaming probably improves hand dexterity. This is also backed up by view that most video gamers are big winkers too. Also you have strange views on research. A lot of research involves reading the research of others. Also I get worried when people take my light hearted comments seriously. Maybe they have got real problems.
CEB

Post by CEB »

You don’t even seem to know what a video game actually is. But why not stay off this thread?
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Friend or faux wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:32 pm oxo:- What books have you enjoyed most so far this year?
My favourite so far this year is Bringing Back the Beaver by Derek Gow.

I’m currently reading The Emperor's Feast: A History of China in Twelve Meals by Jonathan Clements.

On balance I prefer the goose game.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Friend or Faux
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:33 am Will admit that gaming probably improves hand dexterity. This is also backed up by view that most video gamers are big winkers too. Also you have strange views on research. A lot of research involves reading the research of others.
The term research, much like many other scientific terms like theory, hypothesis, skeptic, etc are misused and misunderstood by many.
Google how to do research, none of it will say read a few Web pages and make a conclusion.
E.g. https://www.wikihow.com/Do-Research
Friend or faux wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:33 am Also I get worried when people take my light hearted comments seriously. Maybe they have got real problems.
Maybe they do, perhaps you should show a bit more compassion.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Adz when one of the so called immoderators ( namely LSN ) makes ageist " jokes" on here, I feel this is not the platform for compassion. I don't poke fun at half-wits, though.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

You can act like a willy because im ageist? Righto.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Who needs compassion when you can switch on a PlayStation and be anyone from Spider-Man, to a Jedi, to an annoying goose?
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

LSN, if I am a Willy & you abuse me, well we all know what a person that abuses willies is called. If the cap fits.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

CEB wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:23 pm Who needs compassion when you can switch on a PlayStation and be anyone from Spider-Man, to a Jedi, to an annoying goose?
Somewhere in the world right now, OFF has just collapsed in a centre circle, paralysed by an unbearable psychic ringing sound in his head while a bunch of U9 footballers look on.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:16 pm LSN, if I am a Willy & you abuse me, well we all know what a person that abuses willies is called. If the cap fits.

Can we start a new thread: Laboured Watch?
CEB

Post by CEB »

I’ve decided to do something more highbrow, and read one of over 25 (twenty five!!) books I own
Attachments
89428CC6-0E0F-4746-A798-7D0B25C03662.jpeg
89428CC6-0E0F-4746-A798-7D0B25C03662.jpeg (211.37 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

All I really remember of those books was OH NO DOESNT COUNT GO BACK TO WHERE I WAS A SECOND AGO.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventures series that preceded these or are you too young?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:16 pm LSN, if I am a Willy & you abuse me, well we all know what a person that abuses willies is called. If the cap fits.
What?
CEB

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:32 pm Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventures series that preceded these or are you too young?
I had a couple of those, they felt a bit CITV to the Children’s BBC of these
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:32 pm Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventures series that preceded these or are you too young?
Somewhere out there on The Information Superhighway is an unfinished MB version of that. The first decision point was whether to hop in a taxi from Leyton Station with a pink-shirted driver. Maybe I'll have another go at it.