Starting XI

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Re: Starting XI

Post by BiggsyMalone »

What’s the obsession with 352? Orient played sh*t with it and had too many players out of position.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm What’s the obsession with 352? Orient played sh*t with it and had too many players out of position.
Is it an obsession?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:33 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm What’s the obsession with 352? Orient played sh*t with it and had too many players out of position.
Is it an obsession?
Either 90% of the people on this forum don’t know anything about football or they’re obsessed with 352
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

We have 3 really good centre halves and we don’t have 2 really good central midfielders.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 pm
We have 3 really good centre halves and we don’t have 2 really good central midfielders.
If we have 2 great keepers perhaps we should play 2-5-2-2
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Lucky7 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:28 pm
Adz wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm Angol joins guess he partners Wilkinson with jmd dropping to the bench

Code: Select all

Brill

Judd Happe Coulson Ekpiteta Widdowson

McAnuff   Clay    Wright

Angol Wilkinson

Bench
Sergeant
Ling
Turley
Brophy
Maguire-Drew
Gorman
Harold

Squad
Dayton
Sotiriou
Alabi
Kypriano
Shabani
Ogie
Sweeney
Janata

Jeez if that’s the starting 11 I’ll give up my season ticket now
That’s the worst selection since Basil Brush left the building
Thank god you only tap nonsense on a keyboard
It's not the team/formation i'd pick, but I think it's the one RE will go with. Will revise once pre-season starts and we see what formation he plays.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Revising the team as JMD looks nailed on to start:

Brill

Happe Coulson Ekpiteta

Judd                       Widdowson
        Clay    Wright

Maguire-Drew 
        Angol Wilkinson

Bench
Sergeant
Ling
Turley
Brophy
McAnuff
Gorman
Harold

Squad
Dayton
Sotiriou
Alabi
Kypriano
Shabani
Ogie
Sweeney
Janata

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

As per the other thread, at this stage I think Sarge will start in goal. Brill has a mystery injury and hasn't played yet.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Ain't too worried about Brill, he originally came into the side from zero and was OK... if he had a bad injury I am sure we'd be loaning in cover for him.

I don't think the formation is concrete yet.

It seems that in all games so far we have played both 5-3-2 and 4-3-3.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Anyone who thinks Happe should be dropped needs sectioning.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 am With our current group that’s a decent lineup and should be good enough to keep us out of trouble.
Yes, it looks decent enough , but he's right, we are lacking pace.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

The 3-5-2 was done out of necessity by JE as our CM was being overrun so easily and we were running out of juice with all the injuries kicking in. Wouldn't want to see it as a preferred tactic as it really negated our attacking threat but with the (lack of) wide and CM cover it may well end up being all we can play.

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

Taking Brill (mystery injury), Dayton (long-term injury recovery) and McAnuff (mystery injury / coaching) out of the picture really does leave a dearth of pace, width or attacking options.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

gshaw wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm The 3-5-2 was done out of necessity by JE as our CM was being overrun so easily and we were running out of juice with all the injuries kicking in. Wouldn't want to see it as a preferred tactic as it really negated our attacking threat but with the (lack of) wide and CM cover it may well end up being all we can play.

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

Taking Brill (mystery injury), Dayton (long-term injury recovery) and McAnuff (mystery injury / coaching) out of the picture really does leave a dearth of pace, width or attacking options.
Looking at our squad, fit players, other than Judd for Ling, this will give use a better attacking option, that line up seems to work. tbh it wouldn't surprise me to see Happe on the bench with Brophy or Jobi in midfield and JMD playing behind the front two.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:57 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm The 3-5-2 was done out of necessity by JE as our CM was being overrun so easily and we were running out of juice with all the injuries kicking in. Wouldn't want to see it as a preferred tactic as it really negated our attacking threat but with the (lack of) wide and CM cover it may well end up being all we can play.

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

Looking at our squad, fit players, other than Judd for Ling, this will give use a better attacking option, that line up seems to work. tbh it wouldn't surprise me to see Happe on the bench with Brophy or Jobi in midfield and JMD playing behind the front two.
I prefer the 4-4-2 especially at home where we need to attack and use the quality of the pitch. However we don't have the sub options to do it, especially if McAnuff continues not to feature on the playing side.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

Lucky7 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:18 pm Let’s play it safe and go 1 9 1😋
Nah! Let's go 1-0-10.......all out attack and keep them pinned in their half! Brill can deal with the defending if needs be!
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

That's a pretty strong looking 18 to me. I'm pleased with those substitute options. Maybe one more player who can change a game would be welcome, but apart from that we're there in my opinion.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Red_Army wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

That's a pretty strong looking 18 to me. I'm pleased with those substitute options. Maybe one more player who can change a game would be welcome, but apart from that we're there in my opinion.
Only until the first suspension / injury from midfield up. Then you've got Alabi or Harrold starting and nothing on the bench. Similar in CM, where you're very likely to get absences more through bookings than anything else.

Defence as per last year is strong but with the caveat of Sargeant in goal instead of Brill as it stands.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

gshaw wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Red_Army wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Sargeant

Ling
Happe
Ekpiteta
Coulson
Widdowson

Wright
Clay
JMD

Angol
Wilkinson

Subs:

Janata
Turley
Judd
Gorman
Brophy
Harrold
Alabi

Only until the first suspension / injury from midfield up. Then you've got Alabi or Harrold starting and nothing on the bench. Similar in CM, where you're very likely to get absences more through bookings than anything else.

Defence as per last year is strong but with the caveat of Sargeant in goal instead of Brill as it stands.
I'd be pretty confident if we had to start Harrold, Gorman or McAnuff for whatever reason.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm Orient played sh*t with it and had too many players out of position.
Did you notice we ended up as Champions?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

DuvB wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:01 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm Orient played sh*t with it and had too many players out of position.
Are you suggesting that because we were champions, every game we played majestic, quality football and never badly. Need to wash my glasses.

What we were very good at, a true virtue of champions, was grinding out results even when we sometimes played poo poo. Worked for me, 3 points is the first priority and we did it bloody well. Better than the rest. But don't suggest we never played poo poo.
Buckingham
Fresh Alias

Post by Buckingham »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:20 pm
Are you suggesting that because we were champions, every game we played majestic, quality football and never badly. Need to wash my glasses.

What we were very good at, a true virtue of champions, was grinding out results even when we sometimes played poo poo. Worked for me, 3 points is the first priority and we did it bloody well. Better than the rest. But don't suggest we never played poo poo.
i don’t think anybody has claimed that we never played badly under the 352 system. The general gist seems to be that it couldn’t have been that bad a formation seeing as it played a big part in us winning the league.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Buckingham wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:26 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:20 pm

i don’t think anybody has claimed that we never played badly under the 352 system. The general gist seems to be that it couldn’t have been that bad a formation seeing as it played a big part in us winning the league.
Sure. its the concept that as we were champions everything was perfect all the time I questioned . Compared to the teams I saw, we were deserved Champions though. Certainly better than the rest even when we played badly.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Dennis joins and Ling seems to be favoured to Judd in pre-season

Brill

Happe Coulson Ekpiteta

Ling                       Widdowson
        Clay    Wright

Maguire-Drew 
        Angol   Dennis

Bench
Sergeant
Turley
Brophy
McAnuff
Gorman
Wilkinson
Harold

Squad
Judd
Dayton
Sotiriou
Alabi
Kypriano
Shabani
Ogie
Sweeney
Janata
I reckon that'll be RE's preferred XI. No McAnuff, so I think Judd will be on the bench instead, maybe Ogie though. Think wilkinson will start ahead of Dennis this week and if Angol is ill Harold will start so Dennis and Alabi on the bench.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Adz wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:06 am Dennis joins and Ling seems to be favoured to Judd in pre-season

Brill

Happe Coulson Ekpiteta

Ling                       Widdowson
        Clay    Wright

Maguire-Drew 
        Angol   Dennis

Bench
Sergeant
Turley
Brophy
McAnuff
Gorman
Wilkinson
Harold

Squad
Judd
Dayton
Sotiriou
Alabi
Kypriano
Shabani
Ogie
Sweeney
Janata
I reckon that'll be RE's preferred XI. No McAnuff, so I think Judd will be on the bench instead, maybe Ogie though. Think wilkinson will start ahead of Dennis this week and if Angol is ill Harold will start so Dennis and Alabi on the bench.
Look how strong that bench is- and people say we have no depth.
Bottomley’s Ghost
Fresh Alias

Post by Bottomley’s Ghost »

Really can’t see him starting Wilkinson and Harrorld if Angol is ill. Also a bit rough to put Wilkinson on the bench in favour of a player who signed yesterday, so reckon it will be Angol and Wilkinson, with Dennis starting if Angol is still ill.