Should we become a Christian club?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Should we become a Christian club?

Post by Proposition Joe »

Someone would have referred the whole squad to Prevent by now.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:21 pm Someone would have referred the whole squad to Prevent by now.
:lol:
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Youre gonna get your f#cking heads prayed in
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy game
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Jesus saves except during matches when he gives the job to Vigs
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Being serious, I am totally un religious although there are times when I think it would be nice. I admire the way George wears his faith on his sleeve. Of course, becoming a Christian club would be quite restrictive in that it would exclude other religions, particularly Muslims, and the heathens like me. That said, if we all followed the rules expressed in the 10 commandments the world would be a better place-however with a king about to be crowned and established as the head of the C of E who has broken at least one leadership is sadly lacking
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:21 pm Youre gonna get your f#cking heads prayed in
We've got Super Jesus Christ
He knows exactly what we need
With God at the back
And Moncur in attack
Os are going up the Football League
Northern
Fresh Alias

Post by Northern »

I thought it was league 1 we were going too, not fantasy football.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:56 pm It’d only require a minor tweak to some of our delightful songs

Oh East London!
Is Wonderful!
Oh East London is wonderful!
It’s full of God, Jesus and Fanny!
Oh East London is wonderful!
Are you going through "a phase"?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

"So I was on the beach with Jords having a couple of beers, nursing the hangover from hell after a massive sesh the night before, when the Lord Christ appeared unto me in a vision saying we were going to win League 2 as champions, and it was then I just f**king knew we had a special group of lads here, thank you oh powerful one'.

He's winding us up, ain't he?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Don't think there can ever be a 'christian football club' or country or town, etc. But there can be a football club where a number of players are christians, or one which has a number of players and officials who are christians, muslims etc, as well as those having no faith at all.Surely they would be fully entitled to claim / believe that the success of their club has been due to divine help and intervention, not, of course diminishing the skills and enthusiasm given to the manager, the coaches, physios etc etc.
leebmx
Fresh Alias

Post by leebmx »

If it helps bring the team together and isn’t exclusionary then it is fine, but I do eye-roll a little when you see players come onto the pitch and stick their hands up in prayer or cross themselves ostentatiously. As others have said I’m not sure why a god who does nothing about little children starving to death in Africa or getting blown apart in wars would be directing proceedings at Brunton Park or even Brizzie.

That said, you obviously need a lot of mental strength to be a successful footballer and feeling like you have some higher force behind you clearly gives that strength to certain players.

I don’t think I could get there and I wonder what any committed atheists in the Os changing room think about the team bonding to church songs and having a prayer group. If the gravity of the team pulls towards religiosity it might make some players feel as if they have to join in to be seen as team players.

But maybe this is massively overthinking it and the Os squad are grown-ups, who can tolerate and celebrate both the things that bring them together, and those that make them different. I hope so.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

There is no place for religion in football. Ask any Old Firm fan and they will agree with me.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Pre match knee taking would have a new meaning we can all get behind.

How about just being a 'faith' club where all believers are welcome? That way we can sign El Miz.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:22 am There is no place for religion in football. Ask any Old Firm fan and they will agree with me.
1 side has shintoism & at least 2 others while the blue side forgave & fell in love with Mo Jonson .
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Can I put in a vote for going Hari Krishna? The ground would look very colourful and Richie couldn’t complain about the lack of chanting during the game.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I just find it weird the way people talk about God/Jesus and seem to believe they have literally no control over what happens in their life. Listening back to his interview after Crewe, Moncur basically says that God scored the penalty, as if he had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's great if you feel guidance and/or support from something, but going that far almost seems like there's a lack of self worth.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:36 am Pre match knee taking would have a new meaning we can all get behind.

How about just being a 'faith' club where all believers are welcome? That way we can sign El Miz.
We are already a Faith club. Blind faith in a collection of pub league players winning every week.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:08 pm I just find it weird the way people talk about God/Jesus and seem to believe they have literally no control over what happens in their life. Listening back to his interview after Crewe, Moncur basically says that God scored the penalty, as if he had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's great if you feel guidance and/or support from something, but going that far almost seems like there's a lack of self worth.
Is it God making him run around in his bra and panties after almost every game now?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

That's the only logical conclusion. He is made in His image, after all.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:08 pm I just find it weird the way people talk about God/Jesus and seem to believe they have literally no control over what happens in their life. Listening back to his interview after Crewe, Moncur basically says that God scored the penalty, as if he had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's great if you feel guidance and/or support from something, but going that far almost seems like there's a lack of self worth.
Americans think they have a God given right to own guns. What sort of God would say that is okay
coggos
Fresh Alias

Post by coggos »

I note that if you watch the official Leyton Orient You Tube video "Campoeones..." at 18 mins 10 secs they sing Old Church Basement by Maverick City. Brilliant song
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Story of O wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:10 pm
Americans think they have a God given right to own guns. What sort of God would say that is okay
Maybe God is American?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

So how do we feel about our sacrilegious’Taxi’ being replaced by a Christian choir as the players walked out on one of the biggest days in our history?