New Season - where will we finish?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Where will we finish

Top - Champions 2 seasons running
4%
Play-offs
21%
Mid-table mediocrity
50%
Struggle to avoid drop
22%
Down
3%

Total votes: 68

LeytonOstone
Fresh Alias

New Season - where will we finish?

Post by LeytonOstone »

Not sure if this has been done - cant see it anywhere, so

After the comings and goings of pre-season and our friendlies to date, where will we finish?
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Re: New Season - where will we finish?

Post by Still's Carenae »

I think better than many believe.

My best guess is 3-9th.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Sort of depend of the quality of additions in the next week. I've gone for Mid-table mediocrity (which ill be happy with). however, failure to bring in a decent midfielder, a pacey winger and a decent 3rd striker over the next week (ill settle for a midfielder in Jan if needs be), I think we'll really struggle, unless we get very lucky with injuries.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

13th.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

IMO it'll be quite similar to the first year in National League.

Do quite well early on, with the team running on adrenalin from various sources.
End up going on a poor run and sliding towards the relegation zone.
New manager comes in, signs a few players.
End up mid-table but in the lower half.

In a way I don't think much is important apart from not getting relegated. I do think next summer will be a big rebuilding project. Out of the first team squad I think there are a good 10 or 11 players who might not be around in a year, either sold, retired or released such as Brill, Ling, Gorman, Ekpiteta, Coulson, McAnuff, Dayton, Happe, Brophy, Harrold, Alabi.

If JMD does well I think he is the type of player that might get a lot of interest, and I think if there was bids of £1m he would go as well.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am Sort of depend of the quality of additions in the next week. I've gone for Mid-table mediocrity (which ill be happy with). however, failure to bring in a decent midfielder, a pacey winger and a decent 3rd striker over the next week (ill settle for a midfielder in Jan if needs be), I think we'll really struggle, unless we get very lucky with injuries.

This is what I also believe . IMO, our squad still isn't quite strong enough so these next couple of signings could make all the difference . At worse I think we'll finish in the high teens, 17th to 19th . TBH, I would be happy enough with that because I'm hoping for at least a season of consolidation . Anything higher then that would be a bonus .
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

10th. The division is pretty poor in all honesty.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Impossible to tell. Hopefully Ross does well and implements own ideas and isn’t just a proxy for JE.

Ask again in November!
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

I think we will finish between 1st and 24th
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

According to today's Guardian, I presume mid-table given they didn't even bother to mention us. Fine by me, takes the pressure off Ross.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... 20-preview
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

I think we'll be surprised by the step up to L2 and lack of depth will bite unless a few rabbits come out the hat signing wise. Typical Orient 19th place finish, I just hope it's a comfortable one where we can play youth at the end of the season rather than nervously looking over our shoulders.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

10th and I’ll be happy with that.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am Sort of depend of the quality of additions in the next week. I've gone for Mid-table mediocrity (which ill be happy with). however, failure to bring in a decent midfielder, a pacey winger and a decent 3rd striker over the next week (ill settle for a midfielder in Jan if needs be), I think we'll really struggle, unless we get very lucky with injuries.
100% in agreement
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

Is there really much difference in quality between National League and League 2? When you look at last season, Macclesfield struggled and Tranmere got promoted, what does that tell us?

Also will the death of Justin Edinburgh have a galvanising effect on the team wishing to do it for him, or will it have a negative effect and be too much for the players to cope with?

Perhaps it would be better to have this kind of question at Christmas time when we will know what we are talking about.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

bobo66 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:06 pm Is there really much difference in quality between National League and League 2? When you look at last season, Macclesfield struggled and Tranmere got promoted, what does that tell us?

Also will the death of Justin Edinburgh have a galvanising effect on the team wishing to do it for him, or will it have a negative effect and be too much for the players to cope with?

Perhaps it would be better to have this kind of question at Christmas time when we will know what we are talking about.
Or just have another poll around then to see how our thoughts differed before the season and just over halfway through.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

The start is key for a number of reasons:
- we have a relatively easy start. I’d expect Cheltenham, Crawley and Macclesfield to be fighting off relegation and we play them in the first month.
- if we get off to a bad start then Ross and the team are immediately under pressure.
- thoughts of Justin start affecting the squad negativity rather than potentially galvanising them if we were to start strong.
- pressure on the board.

We shall see
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm The start is key for a number of reasons:
- we have a relatively easy start. I’d expect Cheltenham, Crawley and Macclesfield to be fighting off relegation and we play them in the first month.
- if we get off to a bad start then Ross and the team are immediately under pressure.
- thoughts of Justin start affecting the squad negativity rather than potentially galvanising them if we were to start strong.
- pressure on the board.

We shall see
When’s it ever been easy against Crawley?😋

P 10 W 3 D 0 L 7
Last edited by Lucky7 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Yeah true dat
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Mid Table...anything better is a bonus.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

gshaw wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 pm I think we'll be surprised by the step up to L2 and lack of depth will bite unless a few rabbits come out the hat signing wise. Typical Orient 19th place finish, I just hope it's a comfortable one where we can play youth at the end of the season rather than nervously looking over our shoulders.
Typical Orient 19th place - not sure how that's typical. 19th place finish in 2003-04 but a league above. Couple of 19th places in Div 2 in the mid 60's and a few in Div3 (south) going back to the 40's . Still, lets not get carried away with facts .
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Cheltenham W 6 D 5 L 10
Macclesfield W 6 D 3 L 7
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

bobo66 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:06 pm Is there really much difference in quality between National League and League 2? When you look at last season, Macclesfield struggled and Tranmere got promoted, what does that tell us?

Fair point. Ask again after the first 45 matches when we will all be a little clearer.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Lucky7 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm The start is key for a number of reasons:
- pressure on the board.

We shall see

P 10 W 3 D 0 L 7
👆🏾I think if I’m correct against Crawley
P6
W1
D0
L5
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

I think we'll challenge for the playoffs, so i'll go all pre-season optimistic and say well make it.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

MrB wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:04 pm
Lucky7 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 pm
- pressure on the board.

We shall see

P 10 W 3 D 0 L 7
👆🏾I think if I’m correct against Crawley
P6
W1
D0
L5
https://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/85320-1032.html