Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ratings

Post by Beradogs »

Was only watching the stream and was having issues probably due to a recent hacking by Dunners boy so someone may have seen things completely differently.
Vigouroux. 8. Don’t think he had a shot to save. Gets a high mark this week because it’s another clean sheet and he, as much as anyone, deserves the credit for our phenomenal defensive performances.
Sweeney. 7.5. Could be a starter next season. Strong in the air, quick, can dribble and put in a cross.
Turns. 6. Plumber gets it right this week, beccles had to bail him out a few times. His passing was immaculate however.
Beccles. 8. An immovable object at this level.
James. 6.5. Usual steady Eddie performance. Sometimes wish he had a little more fire in his belly but I guess that’s just not his style.
El Miz. 8.5. Getting to the point where we could do with a few stinkers in what is a forlorn hope I feel of keeping him next season. His goal was premiership quality in terms of a player just making it look so easy. He will get bids from the championship, Ipswich would be mad not to want to keep him plus he might even be worth a punt for a yo yo premier league team. Can’t see any faults in his game. How on earth will we replace him.
Clay. 7.5. Unsung hero. His battling and physicality allows those around him to play.
Archibald. 8.5 MOM. Theo can have MOM as he worked his socks off and everything good generally involved him at some point.
Sadlier. 6.5. One of those players that seems to glide along the floor. Industrious even if it wasn’t quite falling for him.
Ruel. 6.5. Blazed his one good chance over the bar. His performance will probably divide opinions. I am not his biggest fan as he always seems to run into dead ends/ opposition players. Our play breaks down too often when he is in possession.
Drinan. 6. Oh dear. You can’t slate someone for playing in a team that are looking certs for promotion but what he was doing for at least one of those chances I have no idea. He can still have a 6 because, well, we’re Leyton Orient, we’re top of the league.

Subs. 6 kelman hit the post I think but my screen froze! This summer we will find out how much the board want it because a proven goalscorer will not come cheap. Others 6.

Wellens. 7. Seemed pretty animated on the touchline. Not sure he was entirely happy today. I thought we played pretty well in patches. We would be frightening if we could do that for 90 minutes but as RW said midweek, even the greats rarely play other teams off the park for the full 90. It’s professional football. It aint easy.

Ref. 7. Another good ref.

Crawley. 6. Rarely looked like a team but had some decent individuals.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Ratings

Post by gshaw »

Extra 0.5 for Sadlier at least given he assisted the goal
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

7.5 for Turns.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Would agree with that summing up however I feel Turns is getting a little over confident at times whilst on the ball. As for Drinnan and Kelman think they could be vying for the kit man’s position come next season🤭 another good result 🙊
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

6 for Drinan? That’s a sympathy rating
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

6 for Crawley is generous, I thought they were doggie doo doo. Not a single player stood out for me. At least Rochdale had a decent spell in the second half on tues.

Crawley will go down if they play like that every week. We really should have won that 3 or 4 nil.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Giving Drinan and Kelman the same mark is certifiable.
PotatOhead
Fresh Alias

Post by PotatOhead »

Just got back, pretty surprised at the Turns rating thought he was a solid 8 today! Also I think James at least a 7.5-8 faded a little but was exceptional in the first half. Agree with Bergen Sadlier assist was very nice. Quality player there feel we’ve got a lot more to see of him before the seasons over. Wouldn’t mind seeing him up top
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Drinan 6?????????
If he isnt replaced next season in league 1, we'll really struggle al la Forest Green
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:00 pm Giving Drinan and Kelman the same mark is certifiable.
Clearer Drinan wasn’t a 6 and I jest, in fact, he was so bad, Richie Wellens didn’t say he was exceptional or outstanding in his interview. Poor old Driz.
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Just give the whole lot 10, who cares about being objective in our position!!!
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

If we start next season in L1 with what we have now, I would be confident of holding our own. Will be difficult to retain the loanees, and I am sure the out of contract players will receive good offers. Forest Green lost their manager and best players before the season started, and became near certs for relegation, before the season started. Important that we at least retain what we have now, not to be in the same boat. Will be difficult to compete with the Derby's and Ipswich's, but hopefully we can match the Cheltenham's, and Exeter's. Would be happy with mid to bottom consolidation. I worry that Richie may demand an unachievable transfer/player budget.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

The hate Drinnan is getting is ridiculous. Did no one notice the drop off in performances between the first and second half? You have to have that physical presence up top to allow the flair players to do their stuff. Apart from the fluffed strike from the penalty spot, that was a great centre forwards display. He single handedly bossed their defence.

That has to be the most impressive 1-0 home win I've ever seen. League 2 isn't worthy of the football we played in that first half.

What I don't understand though is Crawley's approach to the game. Why would you come to ours and try and out play us? Same with the game in the week, they were just too nice, nowhere near enough fight.

Idris and Beckles both beasts again, Turns got a bit cocky on the ball but was sound defensively, Clay also worth a mention for his work rate.

70 points up, that's promotion secured. Now to go on and hit 100 points. Like Richie said in his interview in the week, enjoy the last dozen games, we'll not see the likes of this season for some time, if ever.
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

Think you are confusing the phrases "physical presence" with "physically present".
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Ah, go on then.

Vig - 6. No criticism of him at all, the fella just had nothing to do.
James - 6. For someone with his technique, the number of times he passes an easy ball straight into touch is maddening. He just gives off a 'casual' vibe sometimes. Dumb booking.
Sweeney - 7.5. Run in the side is doing him wonders, gets forward well and turning into a solid young left back.
Turns - 7.5. Classy, looks pretty unruffled most of the time.
Beckles - 7.5. One loose pass played us into trouble - Turns also guilty of this - but otherwise Mr Reliable.
Clay - 7.5. Great shift, did the dirty work so well and had one 5 minute spell in the second half where he turned into Pirlo.
El Miz - 8.5. Nothing else to say about this guy. Took his goal absolutely beautifully.
Archibald - 8.5. Deserved MOTM today, was on it from kick off.
Sotiriou - 7.5. Wasteful in the first half but was getting into good positions, better after half time, looked much more of a threat, direct running had them scared.
Sadlier - 7. Drifted in and out a bit but he's been a class addition, really helps link our play well.
Drinan - 4. Really wanted him to do well, got into good areas and we actually put in the kind of crosses he needs. Felt like he just needed one to go in off his arse or something but Jesus Christ, if you miss sitters like that there's only so far you can defend him. Going off injured felt like a kindness.

Kelman - 7. Much better, looked a threat, pressed intelligently and deserved a goal.
Smyth - 6. Didn't see much of the ball.
Thompson - 6. Solid, not much to do.
Moncur - 6.5. Outrageous bit of skill to create a chance after we'd been pissing about with it in the corner.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:46 pm
Drinan - 4. Really wanted him to do well, got into good areas and we actually put in the kind of crosses he needs. Felt like he just needed one to go in off his arse or something but Jesus Christ, if you miss sitters like that there's only so far you can defend him. Going off injured felt like a kindness.

Kelman - 7. Much better, looked a threat, pressed intelligently and deserved a goal.
Just nonsense, sorry. Their defence knew they'd been in a game first half against Drinnan. They didn't have to break a sweat second half against Kelman. That's not a criticism of Charlie, he's just not cut out to play up top on his own.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

CharlieO wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:32 pm Think you are confusing the phrases "physical presence" with "physically present".
'Physically present' isn't a phrase though?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Just nonsense, sorry. Their defence knew they'd been in a game first half against Drinnan. They didn't have to break a sweat second half against Kelman. That's not a criticism of Charlie, he's just not cut out to play up top on his own.
Relentless
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:57 pm
TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Relentless
Admirable commitment to the bit, credit where it's due.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Crawley have to be one of the poorest teams to visit E10 this season, and we really should have been 3 up by HT.
Of course Drinan will get criticised as today we made chances but he couldn’t convert those that fell to him. Aaron certainly works hard but we will surely need better quality next season in League One.

According to our own website we had 16 shots today but only one on target. The positive thing about this at least we made numerous chances today and actually took some long range shots on. Kelman was unlucky with the drive that hit the post, and I think Ruel was on target in the 2nd half and the ‘keeper got his fingers to it.

Another clean sheet which is pleasing, I don’t think Vigs had a save to make and hopefully Beckles, Vigs and Happe will be here next season. El Miz was awesome today and I hope that Ling can get this guy signed and do the business early on, provided Ipswich will let him go of course.

We really need to start planning early for League One , decide who is worth keeping, and who isn’t………I think we have offered 5 players new contracts and I reckon we have the basis for a decent League One team but need some upgrades up front.
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

7.5 for Sweeney ? 2 big mistakes today, as per last week at Walsall, not my top choice
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:05 pm The hate Drinnan is getting is ridiculous. Did no one notice the drop off in performances between the first and second half? You have to have that physical presence up top to allow the flair players to do their stuff. Apart from the fluffed strike from the penalty spot, that was a great centre forwards display. He single handedly bossed their defence.

That has to be the most impressive 1-0 home win I've ever seen. League 2 isn't worthy of the football we played in that first half.

What I don't understand though is Crawley's approach to the game. Why would you come to ours and try and out play us? Same with the game in the week, they were just too nice, nowhere near enough fight.

Idris and Beckles both beasts again, Turns got a bit cocky on the ball but was sound defensively, Clay also worth a mention for his work rate.

70 points up, that's promotion secured. Now to go on and hit 100 points. Like Richie said in his interview in the week, enjoy the last dozen games, we'll not see the likes of this season for some time, if ever.
I don’t see any hate towards Drinan at all? He has been very poor. To suggest he bossed the defence is absurd. He did no such thing. He missed a sitter from 4 yards, middle of the goal. His work ethic is faultless but to comment he has been good is at best disingenuous and really does you no favours whatsoever.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I thought Ruel looked as sharp as he has done all season today. I'd be interested to see us play this 4-4-2 set up against better opposition, as we've looked so much more dangerous going forward these last two games. We don't lose that much out of possession as Moncur is probably our weakest presser anyway, and it's sort of how we set up at the end of last season with Smyth as the second striker. But Rochdale and particularly Crawley were very bad, so hard to judge.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:05 pm The hate Drinnan is getting is ridiculous. Did no one notice the drop off in performances between the first and second half? You have to have that physical presence up top to allow the flair players to do their stuff. Apart from the fluffed strike from the penalty spot, that was a great centre forwards display. He single handedly bossed their defence.

I agree with all of this, especially the Drinnan bit.

He's not a great finisher and he's not a quick thinker but he does allow others to flourish and does some decent link up play at times. He is a champion of lost causes as opposed to Kelman who is the better striker of the ball but he rarely bothers to challenge for the ball either in the air or on the ground.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 pm

I agree with all of this, especially the Drinnan bit.

He's not a great finisher and he's not a quick thinker but he does allow others to flourish and does some decent link up play at times. He is a champion of lost causes as opposed to Kelman who is the better striker of the ball but he rarely bothers to challenge for the ball either in the air or on the ground.
Thank christ I'm not alone. (Although you'll now be accused of looking for bites for daring to hold an unpopular opinion.....)

He just gives us variety. He can come short to pick the ball up, is strong enough to hold onto it and bring others in, but he's also quick enough to look for the ball in behind defenders. Same with goal kicks - with Kelman up top, the opposition know we aren't going to go long so can afford to press us high up and stop us playing out from the back. With Drinnan on we can go long, so they can't afford to throw too many forward.

I know his finishing isn't great but if it was, with his other attributes he wouldn't be playing in L2.