Labour Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB

Re: Labour Watch

Post by CEB »

It’s usually a good idea to convince people who voted for the other party last time to vote for you next time, no?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:54 pm The people of Islington North love Corbyn, and he will be re elected as an independent, if he decides to stand.
As for wanting a conservative government, of course not, but the current bunch of Labour right wingers is no different to the Tories.
They are going for the Tory vote, and will have similar policies.
To have the only two parties who could gain power, both so similar is really bad for democracy. Voter's need parties with different views to fully have democracy
Of course they're different.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:54 pm The people of Islington North love Corbyn, and he will be re elected as an independent, if he decides to stand.
As for wanting a conservative government, of course not, but the current bunch of Labour right wingers is no different to the Tories.
To have the only two parties who could gain power, both so similar is really bad for democracy. Voter's need parties with different views to fully have democracy
Yet you want us to rejoin the EU . If that happens both party’s will be roughly following what the EU wants . Basically there will be hardly any difference in policies between the two main party’s
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Have you ever been to N.Islington COYO'S? I was born & bred there, even when the mad Irishman Michael O'Halloran, was the MP. I still have loads of friends who originated in that area. The people who tend to rule there, are posh Labour incomers such as Starmer & my cousin a rabid Labour supporter , who is a Professor of Oncology. It nowadays bears no resemblance to the working class area it once was. They may like Corbyn but mainly because they are intellectual rebels who were stoned out of their minds in the 1960's & 1970's. Up the Workers & get rid of these rogues in power at the moment. You should see what they have done in Thurrock ( and are in denial about it- trying to blame Corbyn ). The natives here are livid. The last thing we need right now are apologists for Corbyn. The Right see him as our soft under belly.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Friend or faux wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:24 pm Have you ever been to N.Islington COYO'S? I was born & bred there, even when the mad Irishman Michael O'Halloran, was the MP. I still have loads of friends who originated in that area. The people who tend to rule there, are posh Labour incomers such as Starmer & my cousin a rabid Labour supporter , who is a Professor of Oncology. It nowadays bears no resemblance to the working class area it once was. They may like Corbyn but mainly because they are intellectual rebels who were stoned out of their minds in the 1960's & 1970's. Up the Workers & get rid of these rogues in power at the moment. You should see what they have done in Thurrock ( and are in denial about it- trying to blame Corbyn ). The natives here are livid. The last thing we need right now are apologists for Corbyn. The Right see him as our soft under belly.
Yes that's it there are no working class people to hold the intellectuals and the Lefties to account. Utter bollox
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Friend or faux wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:24 pm Have you ever been to N.Islington COYO'S? I was born & bred there, even when the mad Irishman Michael O'Halloran, was the MP. I still have loads of friends who originated in that area. The people who tend to rule there, are posh Labour incomers such as Starmer & my cousin a rabid Labour supporter , who is a Professor of Oncology. It nowadays bears no resemblance to the working class area it once was. They may like Corbyn but mainly because they are intellectual rebels who were stoned out of their minds in the 1960's & 1970's. Up the Workers & get rid of these rogues in power at the moment. You should see what they have done in Thurrock ( and are in denial about it- trying to blame Corbyn ). The natives here are livid. The last thing we need right now are apologists for Corbyn. The Right see him as our soft under belly.
Ah, it's the "North London elites" trope out in the wild, is it?

North Islington has poverty levels higher than the UK average and the constitutiency itself includes both Holloway and Finsbury Park so you're talking absolute no nonsense, which I gather is par for the course.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Corbyns got a 26,000+ majority from 2019 when Labour bombed. The whole constituancy is basically poor. Corbyn will win as an independent 100%, its whether at 73 he wants to continue as an MP
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:12 pm
Could you give some clear examples where the current Labour party differs from the Tories. I'll accept that they seem to be less inclined to line their pals' pockets with government contracts (other than little Streeting, of course), but in terms of policy, it seems to me to be increasingly difficult to tell them apart.

They seem to want to be tougher than the Tories on Immigration and on benefits. They don't agree with key workers striking for more pay - or, indeed, for the idea that key workers should be paid at least in line with inflation. They're pro Trident, pro Nato, anti Nationalisation and seemingly less than keen on the EU (which is really strange, given that Starmer hamstrung their last manifesto by crow-barring in a People's Vote - he's gone a bit quiet about that since then). Whatever one might think on each of these matters - it seems like there's a very narrow line between the Tories and Labour.

Can you point to clear differences between the parties - perhaps some clear red water, so to speak? Some concrete actual policy reasons to vote Labour, other than the fact that they're not Tories?
Last edited by StillSpike on Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Good to see that SKS is not going to let an apparent social democratic party's local constituency make a democratic decision on it's candidate - I did read somewhere that he's planning to parachute serial failure Mary Creagh into Islington but not sure if that's true.

Sadly it's probably best for ole Jezza to retire and f*** it all off. Chances are he'd win as an independent but from thereon not only would he be portrayed by most of the media as a big old anti-semite, but also a tory enabler if he wins a seat at New New Labour's expense. Can't be worth the candle anymore i'd have thought.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:18 pm
Could you give some clear examples where the current Labour party differs from the Tories. I'll accept that they seem to be less inclined to line their pals' pockets with government contracts (other than little Streeting, of course), but in terms of policy, it seems to me to be increasingly difficult to tell them apart.

They seem to want to be tougher than the Tories on Immigration and on benefits. They don't agree with key workers striking for more pay - or, indeed, for the idea that key workers should be paid. They're pro Trident, pro Nato, anti Nationalisation seemingly less than keen on the EU (which is really strange, given that Starmer hamstrung their last manifesto by crow-barring in a People's Vote - he's gone a bit quiet about that since then). Whatever one might think on each of these matters - it seems like there's a very narrow line between the Tories and Labour.

Can you point to clear differences between the parties - perhaps some clear red water, so to speak? Some concrete actual policy reasons to vote Labour, other than the fact that they're not Tories?
One's blue. The other's red. Can't ask for anymore than that.

And anyway, being almost Tory worked for Blair so that's that as far as every centrist if concerned. Only one thing worse than a tory, and that's a left-winger.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mad Irishman ? Bigotry fits you so well !
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

They seem to want to be tougher than the Tories on Immigration and on benefits. They don't agree with key workers striking for more pay - or, indeed, for the idea that key workers should be paid at least in line with inflation. They're pro Trident, pro Nato, anti Nationalisation and seemingly less than keen on the EU (which is really strange, given that Starmer hamstrung their last manifesto by crow-barring in a People's Vote - he's gone a bit quiet about that since then). Whatever one might think on each of these matters - it seems like there's a very narrow line between the Tories and Labour.

One difference I've noticed is that the Tories quite often only have one Butchers Apron Flag behind them when ministers etc appear on the telly. These days Labour have two just like the old NF used to have
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Comrade Maxy ( or whoever you might be ). Just remember that every time your loony Leftist mates decide to make a go of it on their own they usually get about 50 votes and lose their deposits. They are just not relevant in the UK.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Have you read all the guff on the labour website? I'm not going to copy and paste it all for you. I wouldn't even expect specifics until an election is imminent. Dont play dumb.

If you can source some of your claims i may have a look at them.

You really need to get over your(corbyn lefty loon labour) two previous electoral failures(thanks for gifting tories a decade of power) and just back the best you can get.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Friend or faux wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:12 pm Comrade Maxy ( or whoever you might be ). Just remember that every time your loony Leftist mates decide to make a go of it on their own they usually get about 50 votes and lose their deposits. They are just not relevant in the UK.
Bigot !
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Tuffers, for someone with self declared mental issues, you are really rather silly in your efforts to bait people. I will take your self declared revelations at face value & leave you firmly alone.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:52 pm

Have you read all the guff on the labour website? I'm not going to copy and paste it all for you. I wouldn't even expect specifics until an election is imminent. Dont play dumb.

You really need to get over your(corbyn lefty loon labour) two previous electoral failures(thanks for gifting tories a decade of power) and just back the best you can get.
So not even one clear example? Thought not.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

CEB wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:15 pm I have mixed feelings on Corbyn,
Please elaborate.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:35 am

So not even one clear example? Thought not.
Labour are obviously not going to make any policy announcements yet. Nor are they ever going to bring about radical change. But a Labour administration will make a difference. Just the change of Labour Party staff occupying positions withing government departments will have an affect, despite the front-bench team.

But just one example of them saying something, anything, that differentiates them from the Tories is copied below from the Strikes thread. Unless I've missed the Tories talking about abolishing non-dom tax status, I'd say that is pretty different.

But if people really think that it won't make any difference which of the two main parties win at the next election, then so be it.
Dunners wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:06 pm
TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:22 pm It's not that Labour and Starmer aren't left wing enough. It's that they're not left wing.
Exactly. Here's the right-wing fascist espousing his neo-liberal ideology again:

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Would have been easier for you to just type "no"
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Policies are mentioned in the news but I'm not going to gather them together for you.

What this is really about is people of your leanings still feeling sore about Corbz and your politics being totally rejected by the electorate. You had two bites at the cherry and lost, time to move on.

Starmer has done whats needed to make labour electable again. Back him because we cannot afford another tory government.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:13 am Starmer has done whats needed to make labour electable again. Back him because we cannot afford another tory government.
It’s rather sad that we’ll have to make do with the Tory 2nd XI, though. There will be little change to the status quo under Starmer.

As for Corbyn, I imagine the stubborn old sod will stand again as an Independent after going through the motions of having the local Labour party choose him and be summarily overruled by the NEC, then lose (narrowly). I’d pack it in and spend more time over the allotment myself.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Dunners wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:52 am Labour are obviously not going to make any policy announcements yet. Nor are they ever going to bring about radical change.
Labour 2023/2024 are not going to make any radical change.

But Labour 2015-2019 would have.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:13 am
What this is really about is people of your leanings still feeling sore about Corbz and your politics being totally rejected by the electorate.
13.6m votes for the tories v 12.9m for Labour is a total rejection? Interesting.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

slacker wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:35 am
Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:13 am Starmer has done whats needed to make labour electable again. Back him because we cannot afford another tory government.
It’s rather sad that we’ll have to make do with the Tory 2nd XI, though. There will be little change to the status quo under Starmer.

As for Corbyn, I imagine the stubborn old sod will stand again as an Independent after going through the motions of having the local Labour party choose him and be summarily overruled by the NEC, then lose (narrowly). I’d pack it in and spend more time over the allotment myself.
Why should he stand down when he's got c*nts like Starmer smearing his name and his 40/50 year record of fighting against all forms of racism?