What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Long slender neck »

True panto villain.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Skim read this and was quite excited by the idea that Tosh, Burnside and PC Reg Hollis had made a comeback in an acclaimed zombie drama but on closer inspection that appeals not to be the case.

Watched Anatomy of a Scandal (Netflix) over the past week. Decent enough, although possibly wrapped up a tad too neatly. Also slightly astonished that Sienna Miller is almost the same age as me.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I too am enjoying Last of Us. Not really a gamer, and only had a vague knowledge of the game, but the series is brilliant.

I stuck with TWD for probably longer than I should have - I think I'd watched so much of it I might as well carry on to the bitter end. Not watched any of the spin-offs, and don't really feel interested in doing so.
CEB

Post by CEB »

For non gamers, just a heads up that if you’re at all intrigued by the idea of the game but don’t want to start gaming, you can watch “play throughs” where you’ll get the whole story and some of the tension of playing the game (albeit with the game played by people who know what they’re doing). I can imagine the last of us game will be quite a good example of this. Happy to find a link if anyone is interested - even if just to see the first few minutes of gameplay, and how it compares/contrasts to the show
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am For non gamers, just a heads up that if you’re at all intrigued by the idea of the game but don’t want to start gaming, you can watch “play throughs” where you’ll get the whole story and some of the tension of playing the game (albeit with the game played by people who know what they’re doing). I can imagine the last of us game will be quite a good example of this. Happy to find a link if anyone is interested - even if just to see the first few minutes of gameplay, and how it compares/contrasts to the show
Yes please - that sounds good
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Never seen a good game adaptation before really. They've taken interesting but ultimately a bit 2 dimensional aspects of the game and expanded them into whole plot lines with proper emotional welly to them. I played and liked the game but always felt the raving about how well written it was a bit over the top given that it was still as it's core a dumb zombie survival game. It was that typical defensive overhyping of a game's artistic merit when it has a semblance of a decent plot, because games are normally very silly and immature, and gamers need something to elevate how they spend their time to being more than just a fun hobby.

Interesting to see how long they can spin the show out for seeing as there's only two games, hbo don't like to let the source material play catch up.
CEB

Post by CEB »

It’s very unlikely you’ll want to watch the whole lot - but the opening sequence is, in my opinion, every bit as gripping and emotional as the tv show, and it might be interesting just seeing how the game actually works by dipping in and out.

Heads up though - I’d avoid anything past around two thirds in unless you’re actual;y enjoying the story this way, as there are major plot points that really are going to be jaw dropping moments when you come to them fresh

Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Clicked on that and then saw 11 hours.
The same feeling when I click on links to the Orient Outlook Podcast.
I don't do gaming but have to say that looks pretty impressive.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Yeah, it’s definitely best experienced over two weeks
CEB

Post by CEB »

This is edited through cutscenes and is a bit more coherent and less wandery
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I've wasted enough of my life already to now get sucked in by this kind of thing.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 am Yeah, it’s definitely best experienced over two weeks
But they release those podcasts every Sunday. I'll never catch up!
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 am I've wasted enough of my life already to now get sucked in by this kind of thing.
I know, I worry ill turm into some kind of zombie who spends all day on his computer. Oh.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Constanza wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am
Max B Gold wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 am I've wasted enough of my life already to now get sucked in by this kind of thing.
I know, I worry ill turm into some kind of zombie who spends all day on his computer. Oh.
At least the message board is real. Sometimes too real.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Honestly, when I’m in a rut I get so addicted - to this day - to Championship Manager 01/02 that dipping into a story based video game feels like high brow culture
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Make a good computer game this place
The Six of Us.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 am

Honestly, when I’m in a rut I get so addicted - to this day - to Championship Manager 01/02 that dipping into a story based video game feels like high brow culture
For some it's they only culture they know.

I must admit I did enjoy playing Space Invaders down the pub back in the day. The Howwood Inn had one of those ones where it was actually a table you could sit round. Great times.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 am

Why someone hasn't made the Tonton Zola Mokouko story yet I will never know.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Been quite a while since i played it, but think it had some sort of super easy mode too. Tempted to buy the remaster, if only i had the time to replay it.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:14 am It’s very unlikely you’ll want to watch the whole lot - but the opening sequence is, in my opinion, every bit as gripping and emotional as the tv show, and it might be interesting just seeing how the game actually works by dipping in and out.

Heads up though - I’d avoid anything past around two thirds in unless you’re actual;y enjoying the story this way, as there are major plot points that really are going to be jaw dropping moments when you come to them fresh

That's great watched the first 22 minutes. Quick Question - in the scene in the truck as Joel, Tommy and Sarah are driving attempting to escape, who or what is the gamer controlling? or is it all "cut scene" (as you can tell, my gaming kind of finished at Tomb Raider 4 !)
CEB

Post by CEB »

So for the initial scenes of Sarah walking, you control her, in the car, you’re controlling her too - so you get a sense of the grown ups panicking around you; all you can do is look around. Then after the crash, from when Joel is carrying her, you control Joel
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:52 am So for the initial scenes of Sarah walking, you control her, in the car, you’re controlling her too - so you get a sense of the grown ups panicking around you; all you can do is look around. Then after the crash, from when Joel is carrying her, you control Joel
Great stuff. What happens next?
Last edited by Max B Gold on Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

You become lazy, staying in all day living off take away delivery fast food, greasy hair , body odour, low self-esteem and finally alone.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Constanza wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 pm You become lazy, staying in all day living off take away delivery fast food, greasy hair , body odour, low self-esteem and finally alone.
But, but don't you make friends online. Do your fellow gammers just leave you to rot among the polystyrene kebab boxes and Maccie D's empty drinks cups?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Constanza wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 pm You become lazy, staying in all day living off take away delivery fast food, greasy hair , body odour, low self-esteem and finally alone.
Bah, just 3/6