Weird O's

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Weird O's

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

There have been a few strange ones at the club down the years, such as the legendary 'fat fryer' who used to adorn the South Terrace. A lard encrusted lardy with less interest in culinary excellence than he displayed in the football team plying their trade on the fields in front of his festering fayre.

But for me the oddest person has to be David Corner, who signed from Sunderland by Frank Clarke in the summer of 1988

This was the start of the season when the O's won the playoffs v Wrexham (and returned to the third tier) - But oddball Corner was not to play much of a role.

I recall Corner's debut game at Brisbane Road - when he went in for a challenge and immediately succeeded in portraying himself to the entire stadium as an inept dunderhead. This passage of play actually seemed to badly affect him and he was later substituted. Corner played just 4 games for the Os - one of the worst pieces of transfer business the club had (until that time) been involved in - but his cameo nut-job appearance lives long in the memory

I am sure there must be other examples of Weird O's so I'd like to hear about them

Cheers

CF
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Weird O's

Post by DrWindy »

Are we restricting to players.

I recall the guy who used to be part of the ground staff who would sprint from penalty box to penalty box once he had repaired divots.

Probably harsh to call him weird but it was certainly unusual which some may define as the same.

The crowd cheering him on was always entertaining.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

DrWindy wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:18 am Are we restricting to players.

I recall the guy who used to be part of the ground staff who would sprint from penalty box to penalty box once he had repaired divots.

Probably harsh to call him weird but it was certainly unusual which some may define as the same.

Raymond the roller ? I always wondered what happened to him πŸ€”
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:09 am There have been a few strange ones at the club down the years, such as the legendary 'fat fryer' who used to adorn the South Terrace. A lard encrusted lardy with less interest in culinary excellence than he displayed in the football team plying their trade on the fields in front of his festering fayre.

But for me the oddest person has to be David Corner, who signed from Sunderland by Frank Clarke in the summer of 1988

This was the start of the season when the O's won the playoffs v Wrexham (and returned to the third tier) - But oddball Corner was not to play much of a role.

I recall Corner's debut game at Brisbane Road - when he went in for a challenge and immediately succeeded in portraying himself to the entire stadium as an inept dunderhead. This passage of play actually seemed to badly affect him and he was later substituted. Corner played just 4 games for the Os - one of the worst pieces of transfer business the club had (until that time) been involved in - but his cameo nut-job appearance lives long in the memory

I am sure there must be other examples of Weird O's so I'd like to hear about them

Cheers

CF
Paul Hague was even worse the Corner
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Wasn't Stuart Nelson supposed to be a bit weird? I may be wrong, but I think I recall there being some conversations about his behaviour at the time.

Edit: Just checked and see he's currently playing for Dover Athletic alongside Myles Judd.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Playing alongside? He must be in his 40s, no?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Actually bothered looking it up myself and yup, he's 41.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Adrian Patulea- carried his wife around the pitch to prove his fitness.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:09 am There have been a few strange ones at the club down the years, such as the legendary 'fat fryer' who used to adorn the South Terrace. A lard encrusted lardy with less interest in culinary excellence than he displayed in the football team plying their trade on the fields in front of his festering fayre.

Cheers

CF
Remember him well. Was meant to be a real coup of a signing as he'd played in the '85 league cup final for Sunderland. He was terrible and having replaced John Sitton for those 4 games, Sitton was quickly recalled and not dislodged for the rest of the season. Corner was quietly moved on to Darlington where he subsequently sunk into obscurity.

There were a few like him signed during the late 80's. Michael Marks was signed from Millwall around '88 and proved to be a complete non-entity and shifted on to Fisher after only a couple of games in which it was clear 4th division football was beyond him.

Likewise, only those present can truly appreciate the horror of ex-Celtic forward Mike Conroy's pass to the invisible man when clean through on goal at Cambridge in 1988. Don't think he was ever seen again after that.

And don't even start me off on Rudi Hedman.....
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dunners wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:05 am Wasn't Stuart Nelson supposed to be a bit weird? I may be wrong, but I think I recall there being some conversations about his behaviour at the time.

Edit: Just checked and see he's currently playing for Dover Athletic alongside Myles Judd.
I seem to recall alleged gambling issues being rumoured at the time.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mr David Cass, Imagine your own fans Bawling OFF OFF OFF OFF after a bad tackle he made .
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

tuffers#1 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 am Mr David Cass, Imagine your own fans Bawling OFF OFF OFF OFF after a bad tackle he made .
David Cass was a goalkeeper.

Admittedly, he was poo poo.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Admin wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 am
tuffers#1 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 am Mr David Cass, Imagine your own fans Bawling OFF OFF OFF OFF after a bad tackle he made .
David Cass was a goalkeeper.

Admittedly, he was poo poo.
Oops David Stride is who I meant :oops:
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Was Mad Dog Mcghee mad?
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Now a copper with the city of London..Hope he can catch criminals better than he could catch a ball!!
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Lombardo on the Anderson bus.

Billy Beall's dad.

Sgt Sideburns.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Long slender neck wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:15 am Adrian Patulea- carried his wife around the pitch to prove his fitness.
Sam Ayorinde - didn't he get married on the pitch whilst at the same time proving his abilities were best displayed in the reserves.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

BIGRON wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am

Does anyone know who he was and what happened to him. I think from memory it was the mid 90’s.
corkeireorient
Fresh Alias

Post by corkeireorient »

Admin wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:16 am

Cheers

CF
Remember him well. Was meant to be a real coup of a signing as he'd played in the '85 league cup final for Sunderland. He was terrible and having replaced John Sitton for those 4 games, Sitton was quickly recalled and not dislodged for the rest of the season. Corner was quietly moved on to Darlington where he subsequently sunk into obscurity.

There were a few like him signed during the late 80's. Michael Marks was signed from Millwall around '88 and proved to be a complete non-entity and shifted on to Fisher after only a couple of games in which it was clear 4th division football was beyond him.

Likewise, only those present can truly appreciate the horror of ex-Celtic forward Mike Conroy's pass to the invisible man when clean through on goal at Cambridge in 1988. Don't think he was ever seen again after that.

And don't even start me off on Rudi Hedman.....
https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/friend ... ick-conroy
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

The Eastern European keepie uppie kid.

The 'model' that won a football contract in a competition in The Sun.

Ray Wilkins.
CEB

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:12 pm The Eastern European keepie uppie kid.

Ray Wilkins.

Was that Steve Watts?
StowieO
Fresh Alias

Post by StowieO »

Plasmati's first appearance for us when he got fouled almost immediately, went down like a sack of spuds, screamed out and the whole crowd laughed.
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

DrWindy wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Does anyone know who he was and what happened to him. I think from memory it was the mid 90’s.
I'll ask Charlie Hasler next time I see him.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

DrWindy wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Raymond Fuller , Last saw him maybe 5 years ago . Lived on the same road in E17 as Goochdog did .
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

CEB wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:21 pm
TRUMP Plumbing wrote: ↑Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:12 pm The Eastern European keepie uppie kid.

Ray Wilkins.

Was that Steve Watts?
Yes it was.