why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Re: why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Post by DonaldRocks »

I'm positive about the new season. Every club has doom and gloom merchants. Last season many wrote the team off before it got going and the new signings were being singled out continuously as the reason we wouldn't get promotion. At least, Gorman has been able to get a pre season under his belt, could be like a new signing. I was worried by the way we finished last season football wise but I think that management picked the team and embraced tactics from experience just to get out of that basket case of a league.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Last pre seasons 2 new signings didn’t contribute much to our promotion, simply added pressure on teammates to work harder and perform better, thank goodness they did.

Let’s hope they contribute more this season. We need them to big time.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

AckneyAwks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:24 pm Hi Disoriented. My comments are no way a negative on Ross and i am 100% behind him and supporting him to succeed. In fact part of my piece was trying to say that transfer buisiness was already in place before the tragic circumstances that happened. None of us know how Ross will be as manager but he will need all the support of us in the season ahead. In life whether it be personally or in other ways you come accross a small percentage of people who really inspire you to want to believe in-yourself, demand more of yourself and when you achieve your dreams, it's then that you realise you are being guided by a special person. I will support Ross fully and lets all look forward to happy and successful times.
👍
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

AckneyAwks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 pm The only way Bonne and Koroma would have still been at this club would be if Justin was still alive and manager of the club. Even then they would more than likely have still moved on for ambition and financial reasons. It is almost certain that with Justin still here we would have signed Angol and Wilkinson or forwards on his list of targets of a similar quality and transfer fee. Everyone seems to agree that a certain type of midfield player may be still needed. The same applied from last season when Justin was here and remember Wright was his last signing. In other words even if Justin was still here probably everything that has taken place would have still happened. The main reason the defeatist people raise thier concerns and opinions is because they have lost theres and ours leader...JUSTIN.
Are you honestly saying if JUSTIN was still with us, we would have kept Bonne and Koroma AND signed Angol and Wilkinson?
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

What made you think that. If Bonne and Koroma stayed we would not have signed 2 new forwards. Maybe one new forward would have arrived but that is only guess work...who knows.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Since I’ve been following Orient in the 70s, there’s been a dollop of lows, a few less highs, but mostly plenty of “meh”.

I guess nearly all club’s fans start each campaign hoping for the best, but statistically we all know “meh” will be the mostly likely outcome, so we temper our expectations accordingly. Tbh I’d be ok with a transitional mid-table “meh” this season, because the thought of a car crash year and a return drop to non-league is just too horrific to think about.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Is anyone even suggesting a relegation battle?

Our back line is too strong to even consider that.
Off The Hook
Fresh Alias

Post by Off The Hook »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 am Is anyone even suggesting a relegation battle?

No need for a battle, Orient can go down without a fight
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 am Is anyone even suggesting a relegation battle?

Yes, entirely possible if we hit bad luck with injuries in the key areas where we're very short on quality cover. Goals win games and it only takes one or two knocks to expose how thin the squad is on the attacking side imo.

Also if Brill is out long-term our backline becomes a different proposition. Yes the players are good but the difference between an experienced keeper organising and one who isn't is significant.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

What if they all get injured?
Buckingham
Fresh Alias

Post by Buckingham »

If Angol and Wilkinson don't come good we will really struggle for goals.

Alabi, Harrold and an unproven kid as our only back up is both laughable and concerning.

It's simple really, if you don't score goals you can't win games. If you can't win games you end up fighting for you life.

The amount of pressure on our two new strikers will be immense. We will be in serious do-do if they don't produce the goods.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

What if we just shut our eyes, consult a witch doctor, and pray to the gods that Alabi becomes a 20 goal a year striker, despite literally every bit of evidence against it happening - will we go up?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 pm What if we just shut our eyes, consult a witch doctor, and pray to the gods that Alabi becomes a 20 goal a year striker, despite literally every bit of evidence against it happening - will we go up?
I would think so. Provided the Witch Doctor is not a charlatan.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 pm What if we just shut our eyes, consult a witch doctor, and pray to the gods that Alabi becomes a 20 goal a year striker, despite literally every bit of evidence against it happening - will we go up?
witch doctors only predict doom and gloom. :shock: