why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Post by MrB »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 pm
MrB wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am Doom and gloom? I ain’t even started yet!😁
Me neither. Cannot wait to get to that first home game to start the booing.
I’ll come and sit/stand with you😎😉
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:35 pm Does my head in that any comment that doesn't toe the apparent company line of everything is rosy and great is classed as moaning.Its a message board, people have different opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, doesn't mean you are right but finding it increasingly hard to have any sort of meaningful conversation about Orient without being shouted down as wrong or as moaning.
I make you right Apple Wumble
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm I will support Ross because i love this club and have done so for 53 years, but If im honest, i dont think Ross is the right man for the job.

When Justin applied for the job with us, he wanted to bring in his own staff, but was told the job was his, but he had to work with Ross. Ross was very much in the background......Justin was his own man, and did things his way.

if the board had confidence in Ross, they would have named him as Head coach, NOT Interim Head coach. that word, Interim says everything to me.

At some time, the board are going to appoint a new Head coach, but will we be in a relegation fight when they do this?

I agree with a lot of what's been said above
That's pure speculation about Justin/Ross.

I don't think Ross would be in the frame for the job, say, if Justin had moved onto another club. It was the only appointment that could really have been feasible in the circumstances. The interim tag gives that flexibility for Ross to move back down to his coaching role should it not work out. I agree that it doesn't show total confidence, but given what we've all been through, I think it is the pragmatic and sensible choice.

Maybe it doesn't work out, and we get a new man in- but then at least their job is made so much easier by following Ross, rather than Justin. Imagine being an external appointment and having to replace Justin like this- that's impossible.
Bluecap
Fresh Alias

Post by Bluecap »

My problem with the Interim Manager is he gives post match interviews in a red base ball hat that's too small for him.
Not a good look.
Buckingham
Fresh Alias

Post by Buckingham »

As far as I’m concerned the job for this season is to finish 22nd or above.

I think the current squad is capable of that.

Having said that, Alabi belongs nowhere near a League 2 line up. And no decent games against part-timers will change my mind about that.
Urbane Vancelo
Fresh Alias

Post by Urbane Vancelo »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am I'm staggered by the amount of doom and gloom on this Board before a ball has even been kicked in anger. I seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed before least season began because of the lack of activity in the transfer market.

I accept we have lost Bonne and Koroma, but would think that we have replaced them with 2 strikers. Of course, whether the replacements will be up to much is still to be seen. We have the same defence, which was so tight last season. The midfield does seem to be lacking a bit, but I thought the same last season.

I suppose a lot of it is because we have lost Edinburgh, bit we should at least give Embleton a chance before we talk about a relegation fight.

I think a lot of it comes from being the Orient. It would be great if we could keep hold of the feelings of euphoria at the close of last season at least until 5:00pm on 3rd August.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You must be new.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:35 pm Does my head in that any comment that doesn't toe the apparent company line of everything is rosy and great is classed as moaning.Its a message board, people have different opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, doesn't mean you are right but finding it increasingly hard to have any sort of meaningful conversation about Orient without being shouted down as wrong or as moaning.
Sorry positivity does your head in. Having a meaningful conversation with a doom and gloom merchant is pointless. Yes, you do moan and I think you are wrong but that’s your right , it’s just that after all the highs of last season and then the tragedy that happened to Justin we need to honour the team and his memory. Moaning doesn’t help anyone except, perhaps you and your fellow moaners.
Luckybay1969
Fresh Alias

Post by Luckybay1969 »

For what it is worth I think we are weaker than last year quite clearly and I think we will struggle for goals as front two a lot to prove - I like Angol so could be a good one.. we have a blind spot re midfield and don’t expect Gorman to be the player we need. We have Wright but need more, and the decision to keep Alabi and Dayton speaks volumes. I agree not moaning but a fact we are weaker in a higher league that said I think we will be ok and stay out of trouble and be just lower than half way - 17th or so..

I think they will release funds in Jan if in real trouble with a new head coach in place - as clearly we have got in Justin’s players and stopped there and left Embleton and currency set up as safe pair of hands (as could not do anything else obviously)! Not negative but pragmatic the owners are business men and will build steadily - so this year will be no promotion push - lastly Justin was the main reason we succeeded last year as we stumbled over the line with no midfield and just raw guts and never say die attitude he installed ..
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

On the plus side we have a cracking defence.

I'm looking forward to the multitude of hard fought 0-0's to come.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

I for one an incredibly optimistic for the season ahead. So what if we gave away for a pittance our two best attackers and replaced them with unproven forwards. We can get promotion again, that is for sure. Even with a limited midfield and a reliance on aged players, there is no reason this season can’t be a success.

I am with me old mucker Whingechester on this one - let’s get behind the team and think the best.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Winchesterfan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm
Sorry positivity does your head in. Having a meaningful conversation with a doom and gloom merchant is pointless. Yes, you do moan and I think you are wrong but that’s your right , it’s just that after all the highs of last season and then the tragedy that happened to Justin we need to honour the team and his memory. Moaning doesn’t help anyone except, perhaps you and your fellow moaners.
Point me at where I’ve said positivity does my head in mate?

Expressing an opinion is my right, cheers for allowing that.

If this board is every single post agreeing with everyone then it will be very boring. Like your arguments.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Disoriented wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 pm I for one an incredibly optimistic for the season ahead. So what if we gave away for a pittance our two best attackers and replaced them with unproven forwards. We can get promotion again, that is for sure. Even with a limited midfield and a reliance on aged players, there is no reason this season can’t be a success.

I am with me old mucker Whingechester on this one - let’s get behind the team and think the best.
You missed out our blinding pace and experienced manager.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Disoriented wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 pm I for one an incredibly optimistic for the season ahead. So what if we gave away for a pittance our two best attackers and replaced them with unproven forwards. We can get promotion again, that is for sure. Even with a limited midfield and a reliance on aged players, there is no reason this season can’t be a success.

You missed out our blinding pace and experienced manager.
I did - left it for you fella. 👍
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am I'm staggered by the amount of doom and gloom on this Board before a ball has even been kicked in anger. I seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed before least season began because of the lack of activity in the transfer market.

I accept we have lost Bonne and Koroma, but would think that we have replaced them with 2 strikers. Of course, whether the replacements will be up to much is still to be seen. We have the same defence, which was so tight last season. The midfield does seem to be lacking a bit, but I thought the same last season.

I suppose a lot of it is because we have lost Edinburgh, bit we should at least give Embleton a chance before we talk about a relegation fight.

I think a lot of it comes from being the Orient. It would be great if we could keep hold of the feelings of euphoria at the close of last season at least until 5:00pm on 3rd August.
As others have said , we've lost one of our greatest ever coaches ( managers ) plus our two top goal scores have gone . On top of this I believe our squad is still too weak . Obviously ,there's still plenty of time to bring in one or two more players so we'll see what happens next. At the moment I would take a mid table finish with both hands .
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 pm

As others have said , we've lost one of our greatest ever coaches ( managers ) plus our two top goal scores have gone . On top of this I believe our squad is still too weak . Obviously ,there's still plenty of time to bring in one or two more players so we'll see what happens next. At the moment I would take a mid table finish with both hands .
Only Abu Hamza wouldn’t.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Only Abu Hamza wouldn’t.
That's true .
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Dis is smashing it tonight. #Bantz
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

The only way Bonne and Koroma would have still been at this club would be if Justin was still alive and manager of the club. Even then they would more than likely have still moved on for ambition and financial reasons. It is almost certain that with Justin still here we would have signed Angol and Wilkinson or forwards on his list of targets of a similar quality and transfer fee. Everyone seems to agree that a certain type of midfield player may be still needed. The same applied from last season when Justin was here and remember Wright was his last signing. In other words even if Justin was still here probably everything that has taken place would have still happened. The main reason the defeatist people raise thier concerns and opinions is because they have lost theres and ours leader...JUSTIN.
We all have concerns and worries and mine are. And this is no slant on the present management we could be running 10points short at the end of the season because of Justin. This is nothing against any of the coaches, players or directors. It is because of JUSTIN.
I'm sure he would be kicking us all up the arse and speaking the words of belief and destiny that brought him success in his career. COME ON YOU O's
Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Post by Forty-Niner »

The trouble is there are too many knee jerkers and scapegoaters among Orient fans.
Our first season in the Conference started well and there were predictions of promotion by March. We then went on a poor run and talk was of relegation. Blow hot, blow cold. Last season when we lost at home to Salford according to some that was the end of promotion.
As for the scapegoat brigade (you know who you are) Jake Caprice was unpopular and look how well he's doing at Tranmere.
Current targets are Sam Ling, James Alibi and to a lesser extent Dale Gorman. These lads need encouragement and support. Let's get behind them this coming season and help to bring out their best.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

AckneyAwks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 pm The only way Bonne and Koroma would have still been at this club would be if Justin was still alive and manager of the club. Even then they would more than likely have still moved on for ambition and financial reasons. It is almost certain that with Justin still here we would have signed Angol and Wilkinson or forwards on his list of targets of a similar quality and transfer fee. Everyone seems to agree that a certain type of midfield player may be still needed. The same applied from last season when Justin was here and remember Wright was his last signing. In other words even if Justin was still here probably everything that has taken place would have still happened. The main reason the defeatist people raise thier concerns and opinions is because they have lost theres and ours leader...JUSTIN.
We all have concerns and worries and mine are. And this is no slant on the present management we could be running 10points short at the end of the season because of Justin. This is nothing against any of the coaches, players or directors. It is because of JUSTIN.
I'm sure he would be kicking us all up the arse and speaking the words of belief and destiny that brought him success in his career. COME ON YOU O's
I feel for Ross - when will he be ever written about repeatedly in capital letters?

It would be his crowning achievement.

I am fully supporting ROSS.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Forty-Niner wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm The trouble is there are too many knee jerkers and scapegoaters among Orient fans.
Our first season in the Conference started well and there were predictions of promotion by March. We then went on a poor run and talk was of relegation. Blow hot, blow cold. Last season when we lost at home to Salford according to some that was the end of promotion.
As for the scapegoat brigade (you know who you are) Jake Caprice was unpopular and look how well he's doing at Tranmere.
Current targets are Sam Ling, James Alibi and to a lesser extent Dale Gorman. These lads need encouragement and support. Let's get behind them this coming season and help to bring out their best.
Are you suggesting that James Alibi is not playing like his real self?
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

Great we agree (that’s a first) and I share your optimism though do I detect just a touch of sarcasm? But good to know your getting ‘ behind the team and thinking best’
Roll on start of the season. Happy Days!
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Bluecap wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:14 pm My problem with the Interim Manager is he gives post match interviews in a red base ball hat that's too small for him.
Not a good look.
Maybe he would look better in a bluecap
Doh 😋
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Hi Disoriented. My comments are no way a negative on Ross and i am 100% behind him and supporting him to succeed. In fact part of my piece was trying to say that transfer buisiness was already in place before the tragic circumstances that happened. None of us know how Ross will be as manager but he will need all the support of us in the season ahead. In life whether it be personally or in other ways you come accross a small percentage of people who really inspire you to want to believe in-yourself, demand more of yourself and when you achieve your dreams, it's then that you realise you are being guided by a special person. I will support Ross fully and lets all look forward to happy and successful times.
Buckingham
Fresh Alias

Post by Buckingham »

Forty-Niner wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm The trouble is there are too many knee jerkers and scapegoaters among Orient fans.
Alabi is not a “scapegoat”.

He had an entire season to prove himself. He scored 2 goals. I’ve already said this elsewhere on this board. A striker scoring 2 goals, all season, in the conference is incredibly poor. To then think that the same striker is suddenly going to start banging in goals a division above is borderline delusional.

Why do some people on this board take extremely valid criticism so badly? It’s bizarre. Saying that Alabi is almost certainly not League 2 standard based on his performances last season, in a division below, is a competent rational and reasonable conclusion. To suggest otherwise is just madness.