Cricket World Cup

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

What a game. Never seen anything like it. Fantastic stuff from both teams. England. World Champions. Sounds great.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

I must admit I don’t really understand the rules of cricket but how are you classed as champions for having more boundaries I thought getting players out was the main aim of the game?
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Because the match and the super over were both tied, so it went to the number of boundaries scored to split the teams.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:11 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:41 pm Stupid Game
2 teams draw in 50 legs each
2 teams draw in a super leg &
1 team is deemed a winner

What a waste of F*cking time & energy
England won it because they scored more boundaries in the match.
So why have a super Leg ?

No point just let them count how many times it got tp the rope .
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 pm Because the match and the super over were both tied, so it went to the number of boundaries scored to split the teams.
I get that bit but why is not scored on wickets lost NZ had 8 and England lost all there’s
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

I notice England had 1 Kiwi 1 Barbadian and 1 Irish is that not classed as a Rest of the World team😋
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm

If you cant enjoy a game like that and the drama of that finish, you might be dead inside.
Im Irish , thats why we wouldnt give this sh*te
the time of day , thats why ye sassenachs love it so much , cos its a public school poshos sport.

To top it all Ye needed a sh*te minor hurler called Morgan to win the big sh*te cup for ye as well .
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

The game hinged on one NZ fielding mistake - Boult doesn't lose his bearings with nine balls left, takes the catch and Stokes is out, game over. Hell of a match.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 pm

If you cant enjoy a game like that and the drama of that finish, you might be dead inside.
I was excited even though i had no clue what was going on :D

the time of day , thats why ye sassenachs love it so much , cos its a public school poshos sport.

To top it all Ye needed a sh*te minor hurler called Morgan to win the big sh*te cup for ye as well .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Go away Lills
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Stunning. No sport can swing back and forth like cricket. What a game, what a team. And to think the Ashes start in a few weeks...
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

An incredible match
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

jamespevans wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:57 pm The game hinged on one NZ fielding mistake - Boult doesn't lose his bearings with nine balls left, takes the catch and Stokes is out, game over. Hell of a match.
And England also going for a second run and the Kiwis throw hitting the bat and going for 4 , 6 scored instead of 2 !! i made England a tad fortunate to win , who cares , WORLD CHAMPIONS 🏏🏏👍👍
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:03 pm

I thought Eoin Morgan was Welsh!
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Lovejoy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 pm Because the match and the super over were both tied, so it went to the number of boundaries scored to split the teams.
I get that bit but why is not scored on wickets lost NZ had 8 and England lost all there’s
Don't let it all get on top of you - England are world champions at one day cricket
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Incredible game. England had to dig deep to pull it out of the fire but the gods of cricket were looking down on England yesterday. Boult treading on the ropes in attempting to catch Stokes, the four overthrows that deflected off Stokes bat we certainly had the rub of the green yesterday. Massive credit to England on withstanding the pressure of being favourites on their own turf but also huge respect to NZ not only for their performance but the way they handled themselves yesterday during and after the game.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Also thought it should have been wickets lost rather boundaries
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Top of the West. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:41 am Incredible game. England had to dig deep to pull it out of the fire but the gods of cricket were looking down on England yesterday. Boult treading on the ropes in attempting to catch Stokes, the four overthrows that deflected off Stokes bat we certainly had the rub of the green yesterday. Massive credit to England on withstanding the pressure of being favourites on their own turf but also huge respect to NZ not only for their performance but the way they handled themselves yesterday during and after the game.
For me that extra 4 byes evened up the 4 byes they got at the end of their innings when it took a weird bounce and Buttler mis-judged it.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 am
Top of the West. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:41 am Incredible game. England had to dig deep to pull it out of the fire but the gods of cricket were looking down on England yesterday. Boult treading on the ropes in attempting to catch Stokes, the four overthrows that deflected off Stokes bat we certainly had the rub of the green yesterday. Massive credit to England on withstanding the pressure of being favourites on their own turf but also huge respect to NZ not only for their performance but the way they handled themselves yesterday during and after the game.
For me that extra 4 byes evened up the 4 byes they got at the end of their innings when it took a weird bounce and Buttler mis-judged it.
They were not byes they were overthrows and that type of incident where the ball is deflected off the batsman is very rare, if the ball hadn't reached the boundary England would not have taken advantage of it by running - it was a massive stroke of good fortune. The four byes that Buttler let through was a poor bit of wicket keeping sure the ball took a bad bounce but Buttler was in no position to take the ball with his gloves he was from memory trying to use his pads which is poor technique.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

JimbO wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am Also thought it should have been wickets lost rather boundaries
I agree it has been wickets lost in the past and it reflects the outcome in 50 overs which is a more acceptable outcome tbh.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

I thought we had lost the match about ten times and were a tad fortunate with a couple of key moments at the end, but that is sport for you. If anything the moral of this is 'never give up' and that is arguably what won us the game.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Top of the West. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am
JimbO wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am Also thought it should have been wickets lost rather boundaries
I agree it has been wickets lost in the past and it reflects the outcome in 50 overs which is a more acceptable outcome tbh.
The problem is that England probably wouldn't have been so willing to basically sacrifice Rashid and Wood if it was down to wickets. Also wickets favour the team batting second because they know how reckless they can be. The first team batting would need to hold back a bit.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am
Top of the West. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am
The problem is that England probably wouldn't have been so willing to basically sacrifice Rashid and Wood if it was down to wickets. Also wickets favour the team batting second because they know how reckless they can be. The first team batting would need to hold back a bit.
Both Rashid and Wood were run out trying to win the game they certainly were not playing for a tie the only thought was to win. I don't think that England would have played it any differently if it had have been on wickets lost in England's position they needed to score runs, the only time it might have been a consideration if scores were level and England had lost less wickets with a couple of balls left and then they might have blocked them.

Better that than on count back of boundaries, first time a team has won by that method and in the worlds premier cricket competition personally I think there has to be a better way.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

I don't know that much about cricket but surely as ties are so rare the obvious thing to do would be to share the trophy in a final.

The most amazing finish in a sporting event ive seen, up there with Tyson Fury doing his Lazarus impression and Scott Houghton's arse.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

Unbelievable, that was a fantastic match to watch even for non cricket fans. Well done England and to those sad people who slag off everything on this forum including Orient and the cricket, do you actually enjoy, appreciate anything or is your sole pleasure moaning?
I am proud to be English, and with Lewis winning the F1 at Silverstone and LOFC selling over 4,000 ST’s before the season even starts how can any sports supporting fan not be in a very positive place right now.
Just so sad Justin is not hear to enjoy all this. We will miss him but never forget him but we must move on.