Pubs for Sutton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

chris_orient
Fresh Alias

Pubs for Sutton

Post by chris_orient »

Trying to work out where to go for a beer before the game.

A Sutton mate tells me there aren't really any decent pubs in the vicinity of the ground but apparently the Cock & Bull near Sutton station is okay - it's about 20 mins walk from the ground. Would ideally like to watch the Salford v Maidenhead game though - I just gave the Gander Inn (which is closer to the ground) a call but the bloke I spoke to said they'll be showing Spurs v Huddersfield instead! Any other ideas?

P.s. much prefer the look of this new board!
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pubs for Sutton

Post by Admin »

From the Football Ground Guide:

"Behind the Grandstand there is a Social Club, which welcomes away fans and normally has real ale available (not this week though). Alas, the nearby Plough pub has now closed down. Around a ten minute walk away at the traffic lights on the main A217 is the Gander pub. Andrew Goddard advises; 'If a large attendance is expected then it may be advisable for away supporters who are travelling by rail, to make use of the pubs in Sutton town centre rather than relying on the Social Club at the stadium. The pub options in the town centre are numerous if somewhat bland, being largely pubco-owned efforts that undergo the relevant re-brand every five years or so, to paper over their respective cracks. There are two 'Wetherspoon' pubs in the town centre doing exactly what it says on the tin, an 'All Bar One' and a handful of other options clustered at the top of the High Street all within five minutes walk of Sutton railway station. One of the better options may be to try 'The Old Bank' immediately to the right of Sutton station as you exit. There should be something to cater for most tastes and all the usual High Street restaurant chains are also present.

Sutton Railway Station is only one stop (or two minutes travelling time) on the train away from West Sutton station that adjoins the ground."
Milo_T
Fresh Alias

Post by Milo_T »

The gander is also fairly decent due to size and about a 15 min walk
MexicO
Fresh Alias

Post by MexicO »

Milo_T wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm The gander is also fairly decent due to size and about a 15 min walk
:lol:
East Surrey Orient
Fresh Alias

Post by East Surrey Orient »

The High Street is a manageable 20 min walk from the ground. I'm heading for the Shinner and Sudtone which is an Antic pub (same pubco as the Technical).

There's also a Young's pub halfway between there and the ground called the Robin Hood.

Best pub in the borough, by some margin, is the Hope in Carshalton but this is a good car journey away.
chris_orient
Fresh Alias

Post by chris_orient »

East Surrey Orient wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm The High Street is a manageable 20 min walk from the ground. I'm heading for the Shinner and Sudtone which is an Antic pub (same pubco as the Technical).

There's also a Young's pub halfway between there and the ground called the Robin Hood.

Best pub in the borough, by some margin, is the Hope in Carshalton but this is a good car journey away.

Cheers - High St sounds like our best bet and the Shinner & Sudtone looks worth a look.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

East Surrey Orient wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm The High Street is a manageable 20 min walk from the ground. I'm heading for the Shinner and Sudtone which is an Antic pub (same pubco as the Technical).

The Hope is what I wanted, but no, my mate insists on a gastropub by Worcester Park station. Just because it's 10 minutes less on the train for him. 😠
CJ_
Fresh Alias

Post by CJ_ »

Moon On The Hill for me, I expect. Cask ales, cheap pints & cheap food.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

East Surrey Orient wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm ...

Who decides what a good car is?

Do you have to prove what car you came in before the staff at the Hope will serve you?
East Surrey Orient
Fresh Alias

Post by East Surrey Orient »

spen666 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm
East Surrey Orient wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm ...

Who decides what a good car is?

Do you have to prove what car you came in before the staff at the Hope will serve you?
Whilst I both acknowledge and appreciate the flippancy of your response, one does have to tap one's registration number into device inside the Hope if one uses their car park. If this links in with their till, then I guess they can potentially charge more for a pint if you drive a ageing Nissan Almera.