Alabi removed from transfer list

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Alabi removed from transfer list

Post by JimbO »

Discuss
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Alabi removed from transfer list

Post by BIGRON »

I for one am glad , i really think he will come good this season 👍👍
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Nobody came in for him, at least on acceptable terms. He remains on our books, we continue to pay him, He may as well be available to play. Sensible.

Some of us suspected this a few weeks back so is hardly a shock.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Looks like the club is really going for the cheapest route this summer, Alabi being brought back in probably at the expense of the new quality signing we need to strengthen the squad.

Very weak forward line for the new season. An unproven strike pairing, a 35 y/o with bad injury record and a striker with 2 goals in a much weaker league.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Take it this means no on else is coming in.

It's going to be a long old season.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I would rather have him than Darius Henderson, however...
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Great news!!!!!!
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

gshaw wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 am Looks like the club is really going for the cheapest route this summer, Alabi being brought back in probably at the expense of the new quality signing we need to strengthen the squad.
I don't think that's fair.

Wilkinson and Angol have come down from L1 clubs so you'd imagine we've had to match their wages. I'd expect we're paying them more as a pair than we were Bonne and Koroma.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Jimbo will prove you all wrong. Mark my words.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Surely a goal agains a bunch of amateurs, who were tired by the end of the game, isnt a good enough reason to take this hopeless player off the transfer list?
As far as Im aware, noit a single offer was had for him, and if the two new strikers get injured, we are in the do dah for sure
Must be financial decision, it cant be a footballing one
POSHO
Fresh Alias

Post by POSHO »

The thing with Alabi is his physicality, it can be a real asset, especially later in a game. It can take the pressure of other strikers and upset defenders. Of course we need more goals from him, but we now have a ' large' strike force with Brophy, JMD and even Sotiriou to add a smaller, more mobile alternative, playing the No 10 role. I hope he proves all the venom wrong
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

I have a feeling that Ross rates Alabi more than Justin did and will definitely give him the chance to perform.
Initially he`ll be on the bench, especially as we now have 7 spaces and come on as an `impact` player.
I`m happy for him and when he gets the chance he needs to take it.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I understand that people want him to do well. I want him to do well. Not only is he an Orient player, but he sounds like an excellent person.

What I really struggle to understand is why people think he will come good? I see it on here (this thread, already has a few comments saying this) and on Twitter. I don't know if it's because peoples desperation for him to do well overrides their logic.

See, if you look at Gorman, I can understand people saying he will come good. Personally I think he'll have a better season this year than last. He's had over 60 games in League Two across a few seasons, didnt have any pre-season last year, I saw small bursts where I saw something more than what we saw in most of his appearances, etc.. there are reasons to believe he might do better.

Alabi on the other hand...he came in as a 1st choice strike partner for Bonne where he ran around a lot but affected none of the games he started initially. He then provided a bit of an impact, scoring a few goals (and his last goals of the season) in the autumn. After that pretty much every appearance he made he looked like a player that should be playing at least a division below. Outside of Bonne we had no proven goalscorers last year so he had more than ample opportunity, he was in a squad where by all accounts the spirit was outstanding, he had a great manager and a great strike partner.

As it stands today he doesn't have that great manager any more, he doesn't have Bonne next to him, he is playing in a division higher than last season, in a league he has a total of 4 appearances in (and 0 goals), he score 2 (TWO!) goals last season.

I might be TOTALLY wrong and out of the blue he bags 10-15 goals but looking at the facts, there is absolutely nothing to suggest this will happen. Unfortunately, I'd go as far as saying, he is going to be embarrassed playing at League Two level.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

Does it mean that RE rates him better than JE (rip) did? I think he will used mainly as an impact substitute?
Wrote this same time as CheshuntO.
Last edited by WickfordO on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

POSHO wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 am The thing with Alabi is his physicality, it can be a real asset, especially later in a game. It can take the pressure of other strikers and upset defenders. Of course we need more goals from him, but we now have a ' large' strike force with Brophy, JMD and even Sotiriou to add a smaller, more mobile alternative, playing the No 10 role. I hope he proves all the venom wrong
I dont get the physicality comments as well. He's a big bloke but he has almost no hold up skills. He runs and chases and lunges into tackles sometimes. But I'd do that if they signed me up.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

He is a bundle of tricks; not easy to play against. Perhaps both he and Gorman will come good this season. We shall see soon enough...
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 am I would rather have him than Darius Henderson, however...
You're either a fool, or a liar...

Quite shocking if the club choose to keep Alabi and not bring in another forward. We only have two forwards who will be able to start games on a regular basis, so this is pretty desperate. Understand holding back money for January but like others have said this is going to be a long season.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Lovely bloke, dreadful footballer. Squad is looking very questionable at the moment, by the end of last season we were winning games through a combination of sheer will power and Koroma doing something from nothing. Will do very well to stay up, especially given everything that's happened.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Give it to Jabo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 am He is a bundle of tricks; not easy to play against. Perhaps both he and Gorman will come good this season. We shall see soon enough...
I give up. I must be living in a bizzaro world. Alabi, a bag of tricks? :lol: Whats happening?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 am Lovely bloke, dreadful footballer. Squad is looking very questionable at the moment, by the end of last season we were winning games through a combination of sheer will power and Koroma doing something from nothing. Will do very well to stay up, especially given everything that's happened.
It's still early (relatively) so i'll see what the squad looks like by the first game, and how we are looking as a team over the first month but i share the same concerns. Add to that the awful manager situation and that Ross is very inexperienced.

I can't think of much worse than going straight back down again. It was one thing for it to happen due to FB, it'll be another if we go straight back and have to get out of that division again.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Good luck to the lad. I hope he proves all youse experts bang wrong.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

I think this decision needs to be viewed in the context of what else we do with the squad. Still bring in another striker then I dont really care what Alabis doing. If his wages stop us doing that its absolutely ludicrous.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am Good luck to the lad. I hope he proves all youse experts bang wrong.
We all do.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am Good luck to the lad. I hope he proves all youse experts bang wrong.
We all do.
So why post at great length about his perceived shortcomings. That should help him.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am
Give it to Jabo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 am He is a bundle of tricks; not easy to play against. Perhaps both he and Gorman will come good this season. We shall see soon enough...
I give up. I must be living in a bizzaro world. Alabi, a bag of tricks? :lol: Whats happening?
I still remember his cameo against Barnet I think when he came on as a sub.
He didn`t have a fcuking clue what he was gonna do next, but then neither did the Barnet defenders and IIRC he almost scored.
maybe thats what some mean by `bag of tricks` :lol:
Anyway, I really want him to do well and prove many people on here wrong..........lets see if he takes this chance.