WE WILL WIN

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: WE WILL WIN

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am So your argument is that we deserve to go up ahead them because of our history and our bigger fan base? I detested that sort of attitude from the likes of Leeds fans when we were in L1 and this is exactly the same.

Solihull are the only ones who can win the title and claim not to have bought it.
I think Solihull's recruitment last Summer was excellent and very shrewd . My head is still saying Salford will definitely win promotion one way or another but my heart is still hoping they miss out. Orient up automatically and Solihull via the play offs would be brilliant .
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Ok, you dont like Salford, I get it! Maybe there’s an underlying issue with united and the ex players involved?

Im sure they consider it more as doing something for the community as opposed to a vanity project or massaging their own egos. None of them need a 10% stake in a non league club to help with that.

Some clubs - such as ourselves and Salford in this league, or say Wolves in L1 in 2013/14 - have more money available than others. That’s just how it is and I’ve no problem with that. So long as everyone recognises the lack of parity and gives more credit to those who are punching above their weight (such as us in 2013/14 or Solihull this season).

I’d also query how financially stable we are given the £2.5m loss last year, I’m guessing it won’t be any smaller this.

Anyway, back on point, people failing to see exactly where we stand financially is my issue here. We too are ‘moneybags’ at this level.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I ain't so sure we have bought it.

I don't know what the loss will be this season but I doubt it is going to be close to last season, where we paid for two sets of managers and a load of players. There have been very few signings this time around and the wage bill might even have been reduced quite a bit by the load of departures since (both on the playing staff and the backroom).

Take out the spending on the duds (basically a cost of a previous regime that Edinburgh would want to distance himself from), I think in terms of money we have stayed within our means. Jobi aside in the first choice team I'd be surprised if anyone is on more than £1k a week.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

No more than £1k a week, you're having a laugh. We had players earning more than that when Sitton and Turner were in charge .
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 am Ok, you dont like Salford, I get it! Maybe there’s an underlying issue with united and the ex players involved?

Im sure they consider it more as doing something for the community as opposed to a vanity project or massaging their own egos. None of them need a 10% stake in a non league club to help with that.

Some clubs - such as ourselves and Salford in this league, or say Wolves in L1 in 2013/14 - have more money available than others. That’s just how it is and I’ve no problem with that. So long as everyone recognises the lack of parity and gives more credit to those who are punching above their weight (such as us in 2013/14 or Solihull this season).

I’d also query how financially stable we are given the £2.5m loss last year, I’m guessing it won’t be any smaller this.

Anyway, back on point, people failing to see exactly where we stand financially is my issue here. We too are ‘moneybags’ at this level.
You raise a good point which I hadn’t previously considered regarding the community aspect of Salford. But yeah, I really just don’t like Salford.

I’m well aware that Orient are “big” in relative terms. I’ve never been under any illusions about where we stand financially at this level.

Ultimately, as long as Orient go up I couldn’t care less who goes up alongside. Clearly I have preferences but I won’t be losing sleep if Salford do go up along with Orient.

For what it’s worth I think that eventually Salford will end up a consistent mid table League One team. I know that the master plan is for Championship status in 15 years since take over but I reckon they will plateau mid league one. Charging up from pub league to league two is much easier than League Two to Championship. There’s s few former non-league teams floating around league one (Forest Green and Fleetwood come to mind).
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

eagwgw wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:42 am I ain't so sure we have bought it.

I don't know what the loss will be this season but I doubt it is going to be close to last season, where we paid for two sets of managers and a load of players. There have been very few signings this time around and the wage bill might even have been reduced quite a bit by the load of departures since (both on the playing staff and the backroom).

Take out the spending on the duds (basically a cost of a previous regime that Edinburgh would want to distance himself from), I think in terms of money we have stayed within our means. Jobi aside in the first choice team I'd be surprised if anyone is on more than £1k a week.
You are miles away on what they’re earning. Only 1 player on £50k a year?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Esteban wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 am Ok, you dont like Salford, I get it! Maybe there’s an underlying issue with united and the ex players involved?

You raise a good point which I hadn’t previously considered regarding the community aspect of Salford. But yeah, I really just don’t like Salford.

I’m well aware that Orient are “big” in relative terms. I’ve never been under any illusions about where we stand financially at this level.

Ultimately, as long as Orient go up I couldn’t care less who goes up alongside. Clearly I have preferences but I won’t be losing sleep if Salford do go up along with Orient.

For what it’s worth I think that eventually Salford will end up a consistent mid table League One team. I know that the master plan is for Championship status in 15 years since take over but I reckon they will plateau mid league one. Charging up from pub league to league two is much easier than League Two to Championship. There’s s few former non-league teams floating around league one (Forest Green and Fleetwood come to mind).
Just not liking them is fair enough. With the likes of Giggs, Neville and Beckham involved, I totally get that.

My gripe clearly isn’t with you, it’s with those Orient fans who refuse to see that we too are the moneybags of this division and lots of teams will want us to fail because of that.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Esteban wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am

Just not liking them is fair enough. With the likes of Giggs, Neville and Beckham involved, I totally get that.

My gripe clearly isn’t with you, it’s with those Orient fans who refuse to see that we too are the moneybags of this division and lots of teams will want us to fail because of that.
I honestly thought that your point is obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. Just compare Orient to the likes of Braintree, who make us look like Barcelona.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

You’ve seen our fanbase, right? 😁