Orients goals this season

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

kokomO
Fresh Alias

Orients goals this season

Post by kokomO »

9th highest in the league for goals scored (51) despite failing to score in 15 of their 38 games this season. (Which could well be a club record by the end of the season)

Just shows how truely awful our middle section to the season was. Such a shame, if our fortunes upturning/(new manager) had happened even only 5 games earlier we could still have had a shot at the playoffs.

Frustrating.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Re: Orients goals this season

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

kokomO wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 am 9th highest in the league for goals scored (51) despite failing to score in 15 of their 38 games this season. (Which could well be a club record by the end of the season)

Just shows how truely awful our middle section to the season was. Such a shame, if our fortunes upturning/(new manager) had happened even only 5 games earlier we could still have had a shot at the playoffs.

Frustrating.
I was thinking about this earlier and have come to the conclusion that the Jan signings are what really done us in.

Initially I thought it was injuries but when you think about it RW has the same players available (and unavailable) to him that KJ had. The real difference between the two is that RW barely uses any of the Jan signings. On Saturday none were in the starting line up.

Under RW Moss, Brown and Nouble are completely awol.
Seems like he’s binned Lego head Ray and Coleman now too.
Khan is the only one getting near the starting line up.

I wonder if KJ was under pressure to play the Jan signings, even though they are evidently not good enough.

It seems that our fortunes changed as soon as we had someone in charge who is under no obligation to play the duds signed in Jan.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

for all the blame heaped on kj , the players need to share that responsibility .
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Chocolate_brownie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 am
kokomO wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 am 9th highest in the league for goals scored (51) despite failing to score in 15 of their 38 games this season. (Which could well be a club record by the end of the season)

Frustrating.

Initially I thought it was injuries but when you think about it RW has the same players available (and unavailable) to him that KJ had. The real difference between the two is that RW barely uses any of the Jan signings. On Saturday none were in the starting line up.
This is not quite true. Paul Smyth was basically unavailable for the entirety of our really poor run of results.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

As was Theo Archibald for about half of the games during that run.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm

Frustrating.

This is not quite true. Paul Smyth was basically unavailable for the entirety of our really poor run of results.
That’s true.
My point about the Jan signings being duds still stands though.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Frustrating.
I was thinking about this earlier and have come to the conclusion that the Jan signings are what really done us in.

I wonder if KJ was under pressure to play the Jan signings, even though they are evidently not good enough.

It seems that our fortunes changed as soon as we had someone in charge who is under no obligation to play the duds signed in Jan.
I completely agree about our poor January transfer business . I sincerely hope our new Summer signings are Richie's choices and nothing to do with our transfer committee . We have fantastic owners but they should leave the playing side of things to Richie . .Apart from Otis Khan who's a good player I don't think the rest of our January signings are not good enough . The other thing that went against us was the loss of James and Clay to injury . If it wasn't for those two getting injured I reckon we'd still be in with a chance of promotion . Saying all of that I still think something went on behind the scenes between Kenny and the players so maybe that's where things actually went wrong this season .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:28 pm

Frustrating.

I completely agree about our poor January transfer business . I sincerely hope our new Summer signings are Richie's choices and nothing to do with our transfer committee . We have fantastic owners but they should leave the playing side of things to Richie . .Apart from Otis Khan who's a good player I don't think the rest of our January signings are not good enough . The other thing that went against us was the loss of James and Clay to injury . If it wasn't for those two getting injured I reckon we'd still be in with a chance of promotion . Saying all of that I still think something went on behind the scenes between Kenny and the players so maybe that's where things actually went wrong this season .
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

And never more than 2 conceded in a game. When was the last time that happened? C'mon all you statisticians out there, give us an answer.
WGC O
Fresh Alias

Post by WGC O »

EliotNes wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 pm And never more than 2 conceded in a game. When was the last time that happened? C'mon all you statisticians out there, give us an answer.
Another one for the stattos - all their league wins have been by more than 1 goal.... but 3 of their cup wins have been by a single goal.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I can not see us not scoring tonight.....
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

WGC O wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:40 pm
EliotNes wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 pm And never more than 2 conceded in a game. When was the last time that happened? C'mon all you statisticians out there, give us an answer.
Another one for the stattos - all their league wins have been by more than 1 goal.... but 3 of their cup wins have been by a single goal.
I hadn't realised that regarding the wins.

With those 2 stats it's even more disappointing that we are not pressing for promotion.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

As above it shows two things

1) lack of depth in the initial squad to cover injuries and suspensions in the difficult November / December period
2) really poor transfer window that didn't address the issues from point 1

The mixture of new manager and returning first XI players has resulted in a spectacular turnaround but the owners can't rest on their laurels. Changes have to be made in the player recruitment process and strategy.

I'd like to see us get our signings in early this summer, forget the Ling tactics of saving a month of wages and get the first choice players in the building and settled so the squad has plenty of time to gel.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Port Vale away Saturday 2nd October 2021
Lost 2-3