Attendance today

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Attendance today

Post by Max Fowler »

kokomO wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:07 pm
Petrov788 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:11 am so many empty seats, a pretty disappointing attendance considering tickets were a fiver. How much is football for a fiver actually advertised in the local area....I'm in a new block in Walthamstow, they could easily leaflet drop places like this. Must be 2,000 new residents in this quarter of St James, a 15 minute bus journey to the ground. Could they reach out to fans who would be willing to promote through various local channels. Just seems to be existing fans benefitting from it, which doesn't benefit the club.
Eh? The club sold every £5 ticket they could, it was a sell out (apart from the away section)
The empty seats were season ticket holders who didn’t attend. Can’t knock the club for selling every single seat they were able to. It could’ve been 50p a ticket and they wouldn’t have been able to sell another ticket. The price of the ticket is irrelevant, ALL tickets were sold.

Tickets sold for game including season tickets 7,500

Actual people who attended 6,000
Exactly. The club have done their bit.

It’s the 1,500/2,000 season ticket holders who haven’t. They should have returned their tickets if not going.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Petrov788 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:20 am
Petrov788 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:11 am so many empty seats, a pretty disappointing attendance considering tickets were a fiver. How much is football for a fiver actually advertised in the local area....I'm in a new block in Walthamstow, they could easily leaflet drop places like this. Must be 2,000 new residents in this quarter of St James, a 15 minute bus journey to the ground. Could they reach out to fans who would be willing to promote through various local channels. Just seems to be existing fans benefitting from it, which doesn't benefit the club.
Eh? The club sold every £5 ticket they could, it was a sell out (apart from the away section)
The empty seats were season ticket holders who didn’t attend. Can’t knock the club for selling every single seat they were able to. It could’ve been 50p a ticket and they wouldn’t have been able to sell another ticket. The price of the ticket is irrelevant, ALL tickets were sold.

If that's true then a hell of a lot of season ticket holders didn't turn up, lots. There were tons of empty seats in every stand. Which is odd, for a home game in the sun, team in form, retro kit day

The whole point of football for a fiver is to entice new fans. I just wonder how successful they are at doing it.
Sorry think you're missing my point. As at Friday afternoon ALL tickets for the ground apart from the away section were sold out. I couldn't get a ticket , online all seats were taken, club tweeted that all tickets for the game were sold out. As mentioned above it was 1,500 season tickets that didn't turn up on the day. The game for a fiver day was a complete success. The club cannot sell seats that belong to season ticket holders. There being 6,000 actually there on the day is NOT the number of tickets sold. I know a number of season ticket holders that don't go to every game. I never used to go to every game when I had one (did about 16/17 games)
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

kokomO wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:23 am

If that's true then a hell of a lot of season ticket holders didn't turn up, lots. There were tons of empty seats in every stand. Which is odd, for a home game in the sun, team in form, retro kit day

The whole point of football for a fiver is to entice new fans. I just wonder how successful they are at doing it.
Sorry think you're missing my point. As at Friday afternoon ALL tickets for the ground apart from the away section were sold out. I couldn't get a ticket , online all seats were taken, club tweeted that all tickets for the game were sold out. As mentioned above it was 1,500 season tickets that didn't turn up on the day. The game for a fiver day was a complete success. The club cannot sell seats that belong to season ticket holders. There being 6,000 actually there on the day is NOT the number of tickets sold. I know a number of season ticket holders that don't go to every game. I never used to go to every game when I had one (did about 16/17 games)
But 1,500/2,000 not going is between 1/3 and half of the total st holders, isn’t it?

Needs looking at. I wonder how many of those were the North Stand ghost kids, for starters.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Also, therefore by definition the 'game for a fiver' day was a complete success because they sold every ticket they could. Which leads back to my other point about 800+ empty seats in the away end , which with a bit more foresight and (correct stewarding) could've been open for sale as well.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:25 am

But 1,500/2,000 not going is between 1/3 and half of the total st holders, isn’t it?

Needs looking at. I wonder how many of those were the North Stand ghost kids, for starters.
Don't forget the away section holds 1,300 so that would need to be considered in a total of 8,000 capacity.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

kokomO wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 am Also, therefore by definition the 'game for a fiver' day was a complete success because they sold every ticket they could. Which leads back to my other point about 800+ empty seats in the away end , which with a bit more foresight and (correct stewarding) could've been open for sale as well.
That or some sort of incentive for non-attending ST holders to 'return' their seats.
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

Christ on a bike.

1500 season ticket holders not turning up all deciding to miss this particular game when we're playing well, the sun it out, we're scoring goals and the feel good factor is back - is an issue. The club needs to look into why that happens. Yes could be any number of things, covid, rail cancellations, people going to BBQ's instead. But 1500 is a massive chunk of our home capacity. Put the season ticket no-shows to one-side and return to my original point:

Thinking out loud more than anything, I don't know how good the club is at collating and analysing various stats and patterns in ticket sales - is how many of the tickets sold were to NEW fans, people that have never been before, turn up for a game, see two goals, see a win, hear a decent atmosphere, eat some donuts, have the kids take selfies with Theo - and decide they will come back. Do they know of how many turn up for this game and show up at the next home game. Are those tickets being bought by locals, or traditional fans out in Essex.

Is football for a fiver achieving what it is set out primarily to do. They take a financial hit after all, is it worth it to the club in the long run? I'm not criticising the scheme, but as a fan interested in the strategy for growing the club's future. I'd like to know how well it meets its aims. Orient's fan base is aging and could drop further still when it has to compete with large premier league clubs in the area. Lower league football might be trendy in certain age bands at the moment, but it certainly isn't with younger fans.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Petrov788 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 am
Christ on a bike.

1500 season ticket holders not turning up all deciding to miss this particular game when we're playing well, the sun it out, we're scoring goals and the feel good factor is back - is an issue. The club needs to look into why that happens. Yes could be any number of things, covid, rail cancellations, people going to BBQ's instead. But 1500 is a massive chunk of our home capacity. Put the season ticket no-shows to one-side and return to my original point:

Agreed, the ST no shows is a massive issue here and the club need to delve into that somehow. Only problem is the club won't know who is and who isn't coming - I've got into the ground unscanned on several occassions with a turnstile operator examining my ticket only and waving me through.
Petrov788 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 am Thinking out loud more than anything, I don't know how good the club is at collating and analysing various stats and patterns in ticket sales - is how many of the tickets sold were to NEW fans, people that have never been before, turn up for a game, see two goals, see a win, hear a decent atmosphere, eat some donuts, have the kids take selfies with Theo - and decide they will come back. Do they know of how many turn up for this game and show up at the next home game. Are those tickets being bought by locals, or traditional fans out in Essex.
Not sure on the significance of where those fans came from matters but yeah, would be good if the club had the info to hand and could follow up on it. Even offer the same deal to those people for the next home game or two, try and get them invested longer term, especially whilst things are going so well on the pitch.
Petrov788 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 am Is football for a fiver achieving what it is set out primarily to do. They take a financial hit after all, is it worth it to the club in the long run? I'm not criticising the scheme, but as a fan interested in the strategy for growing the club's future. I'd like to know how well it meets its aims. Orient's fan base is aging and could drop further still when it has to compete with large premier league clubs in the area. Lower league football might be trendy in certain age bands at the moment, but it certainly isn't with younger fans.
Is there a financial hit? I'm sure the marginal cost of a few more stewards is more than offset by those additional fivers.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the best way of growing the fanbase is enticing the kids of existing fans in. The match day experience needs to be made more appealing to them.
Lost not Found
Fresh Alias

Post by Lost not Found »

Petrov788 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 am

Christ on a bike.

Thinking out loud more than anything, I don't know how good the club is at collating and analysing various stats and patterns in ticket sales - is how many of the tickets sold were to NEW fans, people that have never been before, turn up for a game, see two goals, see a win, hear a decent atmosphere, eat some donuts, have the kids take selfies with Theo - and decide they will come back. Do they know of how many turn up for this game and show up at the next home game. Are those tickets being bought by locals, or traditional fans out in Essex.

Is football for a fiver achieving what it is set out primarily to do. They take a financial hit after all, is it worth it to the club in the long run? I'm not criticising the scheme, but as a fan interested in the strategy for growing the club's future. I'd like to know how well it meets its aims. Orient's fan base is aging and could drop further still when it has to compete with large premier league clubs in the area. Lower league football might be trendy in certain age bands at the moment, but it certainly isn't with younger fans.
Let's be honest, the main issue is with our restricted capacity but we probably all agree it's not worth the cost to do anything about.

Also as a generalisation people moan about both ghost kids and age of our crowd. I personally don't think getting rid of cheap season tickets and those kids doing ten games a year is worth it just for a couple of hundred extra tickets on football for a fiver day.

I did wonder about returning our tickets but usually the club emails out if they want people to do that? I must have missed it as the first I saw was on Saturday morning.

Also we've had loads of home games recently, given petrol, train issues sh*t show for parking etc... Even with season tickets I'm sure a few people fancied a day off. We're obviously better but now we're safe it's just meaningless rubbish at the end of the year anyway.

So we're three of the empty seats, myself and my daughter were at her birthday party (football really can't compete) and my old man who would have been at the party couldn't do either due to COVID. Families have other commitments unfortunately, but it's a chance to build a habit. Long term I think it's worth it via the off cheap attendee especially as those that did go for the first time and enjoy it will have the opportunity for a cheap season ticket themselves.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

A decent team playing attacking, exciting football helps (which the early signs are good that we could be moving towards on a consistent basis under RW)
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

It isn't just season ticket holders that didn't turn up.

For a fiver you could buy a match ticket a few weeks back and then just decide not to go as you have better things to do or the trains / Covid / traffic gets in the way.

This will happen when you get to the point of discounting something until it becomes irrelevant. They do need to find a sweet spot in the pricing. Maybe £10 a ticket and under 11's go free, or buy 4 matchday tickets and get one free. I dunno something like that.

What would be interesting to hear from the club is what percentage of season ticket holders in each stand turned up and also what percentage of those who bought a ticket in each stand turned up? Those figures should be quite easy to produce.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Did any ST holders just buy a ticket for a fiver & use that instead of there ST , I remember 3 or 4 seasons ago STHolders buying a £ 5 ticket & trying to pass them on. lots complained as some said i dont want to sit next to you .
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Is it again time to think about ditching the "Taxi" in favour of something more inspiring? Every time I hear the "Taxi, I think of It's a Knock-Out!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:22 pm Is it again time to think about ditching the "Taxi" in favour of something more inspiring? Every time I hear the "Taxi, I think of It's a Knock-Out!
Why are you thinking of its a knockout ? Far better to get rid of the quo garbage !
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:22 pm Is it again time to think about ditching the "Taxi" in favour of something more inspiring? Every time I hear the "Taxi, I think of It's a Knock-Out!
What’s this got to do with the price of eggs? I thought we were discussing attendance issues.
soloman
Fresh Alias

Post by soloman »

I don't really think the local area are too bothered whether there's a football team here or not . We are small fry ,always was and always will be but you cant help but love em.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

'Lost and found' got it right. The main issue is because of our limited capacity which someone quite unnecessarily enforced on the club.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:36 pm
Why are you thinking of its a knockout ? Far better to get rid of the quo garbage !
Showing my age: it was that jokey tv show with Eddie Waring…
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:13 pm
What’s this got to do with the price of eggs? I thought we were discussing attendance issues.
When I have been to a Premier Game they give it the big, dramatic build-up, creates the impression that one is attending a momentous event or a dramatic spectacle. Young people want thrills.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:30 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:36 pm
Showing my age: it was that jokey tv show with Eddie Waring…
I know what you are talking about
Just dont get why Taxi makes you think of it .
Bean Bag sounds very different to Taxi
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:33 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:13 pm
When I have been to a Premier Game they give it the big, dramatic build-up, creates the impression that one is attending a momentous event or a dramatic spectacle. Young people want thrills.
Exactly. I'm thinking of taking my two young great nephews to Alton towers in May.