Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ratings

Post by Beradogs »

Vigouroux. 7. Couple of decent stops.
Thompson. 7.5. Joint MOM. He has been excellent the last three games. Doesn’t offer much going toward but immovable at the back and a good range of passing.
Beccles. 6. Defence under a lot of pressure first half and they dealt well with most of it.
Ogie. 7. Good game if not quite his imperious best.
Wood. 6. Solid enough.
Coleman. 5. First home win in however long is not the time to knock two of our kids. The manager will know we need much better next season.
Hector. 5. See Coleman.
Archibald. 6.5. Plenty of huff and puff. Not as confident on the ball as earlier in the season.
Smyth. Joint MOM. 7.5 Worldie goal and got better and better as the game went on. Just when he was taking over completely you can guess what happened…injured.
Ruel 7. Another goal. Drifted in and out.
Drinnan. 7.5. He doesn’t stop running and what I like about him, no matter how bad we are playing or how many goals we are losing by, he just keeps on going. Never drops his head.

Subs. 6. Smith scored a simple header.

Wellens. 7.5.Working a miracle getting points from current options. We will see a lot of new faces next season. The midfield will finally see a complete overhaul as the first half was shambolic and he will know it.

Rochdale. 6. Near and tidy but folded like a pack of cards by the end.

Ref. 7. Good game.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Ratings

Post by cymruO »

Smith's been missing 'simple headers' for so long. Just feel so pleased for him that he's finally scored.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

Can’t really argue with any of that.

You’re right about the kids in midfield. I can’t imagine there’s a more lightweight pairing in league football.

You missed out Pratley and Khan.

Pratley I thought did alright. At least he puts a tackle in unlike Kyp/Coleman. And his experienced head helped us get over the line.

Khan was promising too (although he does have a habit of losing the ball). Amazing what happens when you play somebody in their actual position rather than sticking them at f*cking RB like Jackett did.

Really impressed with Wellens so far. I spent some time watching him on the touch line (in fact, I missed the third goal because I was watching him). He’s animated, provides direction to the players and is passionate. He does his nut when a challenge is bottled or possession is given away cheaply. What a breath of fresh air compared to KJ who skulked about like a bored pensioner.

I’m calling it now, we’ll stay up this season and, with significant transfer activity next season will be a genuine challenge. Let’s just hope that whoever approved these dud January signings has no say whatsoever on who Wellens can bring in (I suspect that this conversation will have been part of the contract talks with RW).

Final point...what on Earth did Ruel do to KJ? Almost criminal how he was left out of the squad for so long.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Vig 7.5 reliable as usual
Thompson 6 I'm not sure he is mobile enough, got caught a couple of times
Beckles 6.5
Ogie 6.5
Wood 6.5 looks a better player since RW came in
Kyp 4 floundered
Coleman 5
Archibald 6.5 improved as the game went on but a few too many stray passes
Smythe 6.5 wonder goal but not a lot else
Drinan 6 should have scored first half
Sotiriou 6.5 feed him and he will score

Pratley 7 just what we needed in the middle
Khan 6.5 still not sure what his best position is
Smith 6.5 a goal and some nice touches
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Chocolate_brownie wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:29 pm Can’t really argue with any of that.

You’re right about the kids in midfield. I can’t imagine there’s a more lightweight pairing in league football.

You missed out Pratley and Khan.

Pratley I thought did alright. At least he puts a tackle in unlike Kyp/Coleman. And his experienced head helped us get over the line.

Khan was promising too (although he does have a habit of losing the ball). Amazing what happens when you play somebody in their actual position rather than sticking them at f*cking RB like Jackett did.

Really impressed with Wellens so far. I spent some time watching him on the touch line (in fact, I missed the third goal because I was watching him). He’s animated, provides direction to the players and is passionate. He does his nut when a challenge is bottled or possession is given away cheaply. What a breath of fresh air compared to KJ who skulked about like a bored pensioner.

I’m calling it now, we’ll stay up this season and, with significant transfer activity next season will be a genuine challenge. Let’s just hope that whoever approved these dud January signings has no say whatsoever on who Wellens can bring in (I suspect that this conversation will have been part of the contract talks with RW).

Final point...what on Earth did Ruel do to KJ? Almost criminal how he was left out of the squad for so long.
I agree 100% about our future signings . They must be Richie's choices without any input from our transfer committee. Only two of our six January signings played today which underlines just how bad our business was in January .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:38 pm Vig 7.5 reliable as usual
Thompson 6 I'm not sure he is mobile enough, got caught a couple of times
Beckles 6.5
Ogie 6.5
Wood 6.5 looks a better player since RW came in
Kyp 4 floundered
Coleman 5
Archibald 6.5 improved as the game went on but a few too many stray passes
Smythe 6.5 wonder goal but not a lot else
Drinan 6 should have scored first half
Sotiriou 6.5 feed him and he will score

Pratley 7 just what we needed in the middle
Khan 6.5 still not sure what his best position is
Smith 6.5 a goal and some nice touches
Keep in mind Thompson isn't really a RB . He's a CB playing at RB and doing OK.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Vigaro - 7. Couple of really good stops.

Thompson - 6. Still doing a decent enough job out there but isn’t a RB. Their left sided bloke showed him up a few times.
Beckles - 7. Back to form.
Ogie - 8. How the hell was Ray picked ahead of him? Bonkers.
Wood - 7. Massive improvement post Jackett.

Coleman - 5. We were trying to play the right way from the off but our midfield just wasn’t strong enough. I’m sure he’ll be ok in time. Or with a seasoned head alongside him. But two kids in there isn’t working.
Hector - 5. See above.
Ruel - 6 when playing centrally behind Drinnan, didn’t really work. 7 when out on the wing. Another goal.

Archibald -5. Looks totally lost out on the right.
Drinnan - 7. Grafts and grafts.
Smyth - 7. Took a while to get going.

Wellens - it’s evident how he wants us to play already. Just needs to get a midfield pairing to enable us to do that.

Ref - awful again, thankfully no big decisions to make and neither side took advantage of him.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:16 pm Vigaro - 7. Couple of really good stops.

Thompson - 6. Still doing a decent enough job out there but isn’t a RB. Their left sided bloke showed him up a few times.

Coleman - 5. We were trying to play the right way from the off but our midfield just wasn’t strong enough. I’m sure he’ll be ok in time. Or with a seasoned head alongside him. But two kids in there isn’t working.
Hector - 5. See above.
Ruel - 6 when playing centrally behind Drinnan, didn’t really work. 7 when out on the wing. Another goal.

Wellens - it’s evident how he wants us to play already. Just needs to get a midfield pairing to enable us to do that.

Ref - awful again, thankfully no big decisions to make and neither side took advantage of him.
We won't be able to get a midfield pairing to play that way now until the Summer. Just hope our transfer committee doesn't have a say in it .
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

It looked better with Pratley and Khan as that pairing…..

Coleman and Hector are just so slow
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:17 pm It looked better with Pratley and Khan as that pairing…..

Exactly . I thought we looked better when Coleman and Kyp went off. Like somebody else mentioned at half time with those two on in the first half it felt like we was only playing with 9 men
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Gary the Plumber wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:17 pm It looked better with Pratley and Khan as that pairing…..

And weak.

And bottle every challenge.

And offer no attacking threat.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:26 pm
Gary the Plumber wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:16 pm Vigaro - 7. Couple of really good stops.

Hector - 5. See above.

We won't be able to get a midfield pairing to play that way now until the Summer. Just hope our transfer committee doesn't have a say in it .
As RW was a midfielder I expect this area to be top of his list. In his interviews he has mentioned there is too much space between defence and attack. Hopefully he will be given the cash to get the first choice players he wants and not 3rd choice that we got in January
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

All in the eye of the beholder methinks. Thought Hector played well (including his assist for our second) and was always moving the ball forward. Only came off because he was one tackle away from a second booking (so much for being lightweight). Beckles distribution was awful and Archibald should not be playing on the right. Agree about Coleman.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

jamespevans wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:38 pm All in the eye of the beholder methinks. Thought Hector played well (including his assist for our second) and was always moving the ball forward. Only came off because he was one tackle away from a second booking (so much for being lightweight). Beckles distribution was awful and Archibald should not be playing on the right. Agree about Coleman.
Getting stupid bookings doesn’t mean that someone isn’t lightweight. It means that they can’t tackle properly. Which he can’t. Well, on the rare occasions he doesn’t bottle a 50/50 anyway.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

I'm going to start calling him Coalman, because he runs like he's carrying 2 sacks of it around with him in games.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Fresh Alias

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

If any of the midfielders read this board, my comment is don't worry about it. I continually read Clay getting slagged off, but now he's injured he wasn't so bad after all. I continually read we need a hard tackling, box to box, goal scoring creative midfielder, dream on we will find one of them. Apparently reading this board, we've only had two good midfielders in the last 10 years, Dawson and Vincelot. All the rest have had more criticism than praise.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:12 am If any of the midfielders read this board, my comment is don't worry about it. I continually read Clay getting slagged off, but now he's injured he wasn't so bad after all. I continually read we need a hard tackling, box to box, goal scoring creative midfielder, dream on we will find one of them. Apparently reading this board, we've only had two good midfielders in the last 10 years, Dawson and Vincelot. All the rest have had more criticism than praise.
I understand the sentiment. I can only speak for myself and want all Orient players to be successful. However, I think it’s fairly obvious that we are struggling in the middle of the park. I think Coleman will be ok, and on Tuesday I saw enough from Kyp in that first half that there’s a professional footballer in there. I really hope that RW gets the best out of them and they continue to improve.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:34 am
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:12 am If any of the midfielders read this board, my comment is don't worry about it. I continually read Clay getting slagged off, but now he's injured he wasn't so bad after all. I continually read we need a hard tackling, box to box, goal scoring creative midfielder, dream on we will find one of them. Apparently reading this board, we've only had two good midfielders in the last 10 years, Dawson and Vincelot. All the rest have had more criticism than praise.
I understand the sentiment. I can only speak for myself and want all Orient players to be successful. However, I think it’s fairly obvious that we are struggling in the middle of the park. I think Coleman will be ok, and on Tuesday I saw enough from Kyp in that first half that there’s a professional footballer in there. I really hope that RW gets the best out of them and they continue to improve.
I think they will only improve playing alongside senior central midfielders like Prately . Our big mistake was not signing another senior central midfielder during January
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

DrWindy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:34 am
Agree. It's easy to forget that Kyp is 20 years old. no age to be thrown into a full time role in a relegation battle. I still dont really know what sort of midfielder he is, though, and hope RW can help him in that regard. And as RD says, put him in there with someone with experience and quality. He should be a squad player at this point, not playing 2 games a week trying to carry the midfield. The one area i do think he needs to improve on is his work rate and explosiveness. For a young kid he does seem a bit slow off the mark.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

You could possibly add McAnuff but that aside our CM has been pretty awful from playoff final loss onwards. We got promoted out of NL in spite of our midfield not because of it. There was Adams of course who was the player we needed but remember his comments about why he didn't sign...
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

I thought Kyprianou was marginally better than Coleman yesterday, once he had time on the ball, he linked play quite well. The problem is, as others have noted, is neither of them offer much else. Two quite similar players who seem to shirk tackles and offer no goal threat. Also have been thinking whether Hector was lucky to stay on yesterday after his deliberate clip on a Rochdale player as they broke. That was a let off for me.

One thing I did think was interesting was just what a difference Pratley made when he came on. Suddenly the large holes in our midfield were starting to disappear. It makes you think someone like him is a really good option to bring on and see out a game, problem is we’ve seldom been in that position… And injuries/bad form have been we’ve had to play him a lot more from the off when clearly his legs have mostly gone
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

There’s some truth in there but you’re being a bit dramatic. Just as some of the criticism of Hector and kyprianou is way over the top.

It’s a big ask to put two young, inexperienced kids in the middle of the park - especially when they’ve only got Ruel ahead of them dropping backing in to help and another kid in Ogie behind them. That’s not their fault.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Jman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 am I thought Kyprianou was marginally better than Coleman yesterday, once he had time on the ball, he linked play quite well. The problem is, as others have noted, is neither of them offer much else. Two quite similar players who seem to shirk tackles and offer no goal threat. Also have been thinking whether Hector was lucky to stay on yesterday after his deliberate clip on a Rochdale player as they broke. That was a let off for me.

One thing I did think was interesting was just what a difference Pratley made when he came on. Suddenly the large holes in our midfield were starting to disappear. It makes you think someone like him is a really good option to bring on and see out a game, problem is we’ve seldom been in that position… And injuries/bad form have been we’ve had to play him a lot more from the off when clearly his legs have mostly gone
His legs have not gone at all,that’s a lazy assessment.

He’s a great option to start with if he’s back to the form he showed at the start of the season.
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:46 am
Jman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 am I thought Kyprianou was marginally better than Coleman yesterday, once he had time on the ball, he linked play quite well. The problem is, as others have noted, is neither of them offer much else. Two quite similar players who seem to shirk tackles and offer no goal threat. Also have been thinking whether Hector was lucky to stay on yesterday after his deliberate clip on a Rochdale player as they broke. That was a let off for me.

He’s a great option to start with if he’s back to the form he showed at the start of the season.
Yes as he showed at the start of the season, when he wasn’t 35 appearances in.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:46 am

Agree. I can’t recall his work or output less than anyone else. He’s a useful player for us. Brought a lot to the side when he came on yesterday.