Russia / Ukraine Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Re: Russia / Ukraine Watch

Post by StockholmO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:23 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:37 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Do they own the american air force bases & nukes
On the British mainland as well ?
All UK nuclear missile bearing submarines are at sea and in position.
Iasked about air bases, does the uk only have submarine nukes? im not upto date on the uks american arsenal .
The UK’s nuclear deterrent consists of four submarines, one of which is always at sea, the others are in training or maintenance. We have 215 nuclear warheads of which 120 are active. The submarines are based at Faslane on the west coast of Scotland.

I work with Russians and the consensus of opinion is that they all know he is a Dictator and evil, Russia has always been like that and at least he stands up for the country. And Russians now drive BMW’s have iPhones and can buy anything in the shops.

Until now… They think he’s really gone far too far now and he’s unhinged and there’s no one to hold him to account.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

StockholmO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:49 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:37 pm

All UK nuclear missile bearing submarines are at sea and in position.
Iasked about air bases, does the uk only have submarine nukes? im not upto date on the uks american arsenal .
The UK’s nuclear deterrent consists of four submarines, one of which is always at sea, the others are in training or maintenance. We have 215 nuclear warheads of which 120 are active. The submarines are based at Faslane on the west coast of Scotland.

I work with Russians and the consensus of opinion is that they all know he is a Dictator and evil, Russia has always been like that and at least he stands up for the country. And Russians now drive BMW’s have iPhones and can buy anything in the shops.

Until now… They think he’s really gone far too far now and he’s unhinged and there’s no one to hold him to account.
So no knowledge of american nukes on the us air bases ? why are so many inactive , seems a bit pointless ,or is it a case of non ready/primed ?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:39 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:25 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:21 pm

If he's mad enough to use them he can kiss Russia good-bye. He might be happy to see Russia destroyed but what about his people. No winners only losers.
surely you arent asking if hes mad enough are you ?
Yes, fair point .
dont think hes not smart though, he can be both !
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:00 pm

So no knowledge of american nukes on the us air bases ? why are so many inactive , seems a bit pointless ,or is it a case of non ready/primed ?
Hi Tuffers, the Americans removed their last nuclear weapons from the U.K. in 2008.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... 1120080626

The non active U.K. weapons are indeed those that are not primed or connected to a rocket and can’t have the touch paper lit.

Interestingly a colleague of mine believes that the Russians are trying to involve civilian casualties and what we’ve seen are just probing attacks using troops that he’s happy to sacrifice. The heavy metal is being held in reserve.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

StockholmO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:16 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Hi Tuffers, the Americans removed their last nuclear weapons from the U.K. in 2008.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... 1120080626

The non active U.K. weapons are indeed those that are not primed or connected to a rocket and can’t have the touch paper lit.

Interestingly a colleague of mine believes that the Russians are trying to involve civilian casualties and what we’ve seen are just probing attacks using troops that he’s happy to sacrifice. The heavy metal is being held in reserve.
cheers for the nukes info ,his threat to euro nato members will no doubt be responded to . im well aware of what they have in reserve , but using that will damage ukraines civillians more than its military .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BP to offload 19.75 % share in russian company .
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm BP to offload 19.75 % share in russian company .
Which one Rosneft or Gazprom?

It appears its Abramovichs old company that Vlad made him sell for £13b and took some of the sale money and made him buy Chelski with the petty cash
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:00 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm BP to offload 19.75 % share in russian company .
Which one Rosneft or Gazprom?

It appears its Abramovichs old company that Vlad made him sell for £13b and took some of the sale money and made him buy Chelski with the petty cash
Rosneft, I think.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

With everything that has happened, and notwithstanding and end to Swedish neutrality and German pacifism, I feel that three decades just happened in the last three days. I'm even old enough to remember when we all thought this thing called the Covid pandemic was a big deal.

Slava Ukraini.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

FIFA nobheads bottle it and allow Russia to keep partaking in football but under a different name
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:43 pm With everything that has happened, and notwithstanding and end to Swedish neutrality and German pacifism, I feel that three decades just happened in the last three days. I'm even old enough to remember when we all thought this thing called the Covid pandemic was a big deal.

SàTlava Ukraini.
Can't work out if you're deliberately quoting Lenin or not here
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The penny finally drops?

EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:02 pm FIFA nobheads bottle it and allow Russia to keep partaking in football but under a different name
Agree. Unclear to me whether anyone will actually play them though despite what FIFA say.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Interesting article from yesterday's DT about how the Russians are not having everything their own way so far.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/pu ... ar-AAUnSXK
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Sounds like they're having a logistics nightmare
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Lots of reports emerging of Russian troops not being briefed, including some commanders. Poor preparations, poor planning and poor implementation.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Kind of staggering that they've been planning this for months, even years, and it's been so poorly executed. Everyone knew Putin was evil, but he's shattered the persona he'd created of being calculatingly brilliant. Being outmanoeuvred by the voice of Paddington Bear ffs.

Is it endemic corruption that's f*cking them over? Outdated kit? Low morale? Each day they struggle with this and the international and internal backlash gets bigger, the more hope it gives me he may have fatally compromised himself.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I suspect Putin’s assumption was the Ukrainians would fold quickly, as Georgia did in 2008 and Crimea in 2014. Putin’s never viewed Ukraine as a ‘proper’ country which wants to be at arms length of Mother Russia, but I imagine this resistance is quickly disabusing him of that error. Even if his troops prevail, I imagine the Ukrainians will switch to ongoing guerrilla tactics against the occupiers and puppet state installed, with funding and arms from the West: Afghanistan all over again for Moscow.

Now I know this is Europe, but the reporting and sympathy for Ukraine (in the battles and refugees) seems very different to other recent/ongoing wars not much further East or South. White Cultural Christians involved, innit.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It's now being suggested that US intelligence knew of Putin's invasion instruction to his military chiefs before any of his ministers did. Including Lavrov.
If true, it means that Lavrov didn't even know the invasion was going to happen back when he met with Liz Truss. That's just bonkers.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

slacker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:38 am Now I know this is Europe, but the reporting and sympathy for Ukraine (in the battles and refugees) seems very different to other recent/ongoing wars not much further East or South. White Cultural Christians involved, innit.
There's no doubt an element of this. But I think that the reaction is also due to closer proximity and more familiarity with Ukraine than further flung places.

Also, wars in other parts of the world are simply more common than in Europe. It's a sad fact, but Europeans have had it very good for the majority of the post-WW2 era. This has shattered that peace, and it's understandable that there will be a more pronounced reaction.

Also, war in Europe has the potential to have global consequences in more ways that places like Afghanistan, Yemen and the Sahel. Energy price shocks and the possibility of a 20% drop in global wheat production could result widespread hardship, even famine. As unfair and as unpalatable as it is, some wars simply do matter more than others.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Liz Truss on brink of causing Nuclear War

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 24839.html

Also heh at the supportive reaction being because Gary the Plumber and his ilk are ‘familiar with Ukraine’ and have an understanding of the geo-political consequences of this war over other wars involving not so white people.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Nice sneering at the working class, there.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I see that the Kremlin disinformation machine is trying to suggest that Putin's decision to put his nuclear deterrence on a state of higher alert is due to some mean words. This is the best bit:

"I would not call the authors of these statements by name.... although it was the British foreign minister."

:D It certainly is straight from the Vardy/Rooney feud playbook. And as if anyone is still gullible/stupid enough to fall for anything that comes out of the Kremlin.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

To be fair, using the nuclear option against Liz Truss would get my vote
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Uncalled for.