Kenny Jackett Sacked Thread

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Kenny Jackett Sacked Thread

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Qin wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:24 am I dont think Kenny can call himself hard done by. The facts speak for themselves. Under him, the team won 2 points out of a possible 30. In recent weeks he looked panicky, chopping and changing formations and personal, as if he was bereft of ideas and just hoping by luck, something would work out for him.
Shame because he came with a great record, but it all went wrong in December.

I'm very unhappy about Martin Lings role in all this as well. I dont think Ling is a very nice man TBH, and I dont think he's entirely truthful either, and is a toxic presence about the place. The episode with Fletcher, was a disgrace IMO. I would love to know what Kenny really thinks of Ling now .

We need a few points on the board now, and someones got to take hold of this squad and get those points, and I'm not sure who will even want to come and work for the club now
On that note about team selection some of the choices recently made me think he was almost daring the board to sack him.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:28 am
Qin wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:24 am I dont think Kenny can call himself hard done by. The facts speak for themselves. Under him, the team won 2 points out of a possible 30. In recent weeks he looked panicky, chopping and changing formations and personal, as if he was bereft of ideas and just hoping by luck, something would work out for him.

I'm very unhappy about Martin Lings role in all this as well. I dont think Ling is a very nice man TBH, and I dont think he's entirely truthful either, and is a toxic presence about the place. The episode with Fletcher, was a disgrace IMO. I would love to know what Kenny really thinks of Ling now .

We need a few points on the board now, and someones got to take hold of this squad and get those points, and I'm not sure who will even want to come and work for the club now
On that note about team selection some of the choices recently made me think he was almost daring the board to sack him.
😂😂😂

Oh come on.

I do however accept he may have been making a point to Ling about the quality of the players he had been given to work with - playing Young over Colebrown and Ruel over Nouvle, for example.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Anthem of Hope wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:57 am
DrWindy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:56 am Do you recall when Becehetti gave Russ a win or be sacked ultimatum. I think every O’s fan shuddered. It’s not on. I have not listened to it but I just don’t know how you expect Ling to answer it. It’s something he shouldn’t have been asked.
Please listen to the interview
No you listen to it, as you are the one struggling here.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

So I have listened to the interview. I think Ling was very honest on KJ. Didn’t hear anything about two more games. I think he makes it very clear that KJ needed to turn it around very quickly. He didn’t.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 am

😂😂😂

Oh come on.

I do however accept he may have been making a point to Ling about the quality of the players he had been given to work with - playing Young over Colebrown and Ruel over Nouvle, for example.
If you could be bothered to listen to the interview, Ling said KJ really rated Young.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

In fairness to Jackett, it didn't ever seem like the team had given up on him. We created a similar number of chances last night as we were when we were battering teams. But the defence has become a complete shambles, despite having very decent centre backs and a good goalie, and our forwards have zero confidence.

Our team is very uneven but there's enough quality there to be doing far better than we are. I really don't understand why he refused to revert to the 3-4-3 that served us so well at beginning of season.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

And also said he doesn’t like Thompson at centre back. I must admit I thought Lingy was a little too honest at times. Not sure how anyone can say he was telling lies🤷‍♂️
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Fair enough, I never heard two games mentioned. Maybe it’s mr losing my marbles!
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:52 am In fairness to Jackett, it didn't ever seem like the team had given up on him. We created a similar number of chances last night as we were when we were battering teams. But the defence has become a complete shambles, despite having very decent centre backs and a good goalie, and our forwards have zero confidence.

Our team is very uneven but there's enough quality there to be doing far better than we are. I really don't understand why he refused to revert to the 3-4-3 that served us so well at beginning of season.
When did we play 3-4-3 at the beginning of the season?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:49 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 am

😂😂😂

Oh come on.

If you could be bothered to listen to the interview, Ling said KJ really rated Young.
There’s literally no way I could listen to 90 mins of that.

I think Ling rates Young. He’s a Ling type player.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

When we had Archibald, Smith, Drinan up top. Didn't persevere with it that long as Jackett clearly doesn't fancy Wood but we looked decent in that set up imo. How we played against rovers, Mansfield, Oldham etc.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am When we had Archibald, Smith, Drinan up top. Didn't persevere with it that long as Jackett clearly doesn't fancy Wood but we looked decent in that set up imo. How we played against rovers, Mansfield, Oldham etc.
Ok.

I liked the 3 up top from the start of the season, I agree.

But it didn’t go wrong because of a slight change in formation.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I would hope having an experienced CEO with football experience in spades in Devlin, we are going to involve him in this new appt there is more sense in getting him involved than trusting Ling again. Now that Devlin is in place there is an argument for a restructure without a DOF. Not saying that will happen but Devlin’s experience particularly at Brentford should not be wasted.

I have always supported Ling but I now think that a slimmer structure without a DOF would be beneficial.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

"The big lesson of <manager recently sacked by a L2 team> tenure is that no manager is guaranteed to be a success, no matter their previous track record. You have to take into account the relatively high odds that the manager who comes in is going to fail"

Can anyone guess who this rational fan supports and is talking about?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:45 am "The big lesson of <manager recently sacked by a L2 team> tenure is that no manager is guaranteed to be a success, no matter their previous track record. You have to take into account the relatively high odds that the manager who comes in is going to fail"

Bradford City and Adams ?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:45 am "The big lesson of <manager recently sacked by a L2 team> tenure is that no manager is guaranteed to be a success, no matter their previous track record. You have to take into account the relatively high odds that the manager who comes in is going to fail"

Bradford City and Adams ?
Indeed. It's good to see a rational view rather than "we sack managers so someone else should be fired too because of that!"
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Why are you arguing in defence of Lings record, when you’re also saying you believe he should go. I don’t get it.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm Why are you arguing in defence of Lings record, when you’re also saying you believe he should go. I don’t get it.
That's for a range of reasons, not just because we have sacked some managers.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I don’t really understand this hatred towards Ling. As a player he gave us decent service and nearly got us promoted. As a manager he was decent and got us promoted. As DOF he came in with the club on its knees and was an integral part of the group that got us out of NL.

He brought in Davis, Justin and KJ which all at the time seemed good appointments.

KJ got the sack as he made some bad decisions, primarily playing Drinan every game when he kept missing chances. Not sure how this is Ling’s fault. What am I missing?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Every season is the same 72 EFL managers chasing 3 League titles and 7 promotion places, odds are heavily stacked against any success. In all my years supporting the O's I have never gone into a season "expecting" to be promoted hoping yes expecting no. I think the expectations of some fans at all clubs can often be unrealistic. My hope for this season was to be around the play offs - I think we were well on course for that until the injuries and Covid kicked in but Jackett was found wanting in the way he manged the situation once reults started to go south and paid the price, Shame I liked Kenny and Joe as people but thats football isn't it.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

DrWindy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:14 pm I don’t really understand this hatred towards Ling. As a player he gave us decent service and nearly got us promoted. As a manager he was decent and got us promoted. As DOF he came in with the club on its knees and was an integral part of the group that got us out of NL.

He brought in Davis, Justin and KJ which all at the time seemed good appointments.

KJ got the sack as he made some bad decisions, primarily playing Drinan every game when he kept missing chances. Not sure how this is Ling’s fault. What am I missing?
I have always been behind Ling, great player, excellent youth team coach, got us promoted as first team manager and as you say conjured up a decent squad to help get us out of Non League, however everyone has their time. To me it feels the time is right to slim down the football side by doing away with a DoF. We have an experienced new CEO coming in with great experience who could do a lot of what Ling does with contracts/negotiations etc.
I think having a DoF has clouded decision making and responsibilty of lates and slimming down the decision making chain can only help.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

DrWindy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:14 pm I don’t really understand this hatred towards Ling. As a player he gave us decent service and nearly got us promoted. As a manager he was decent and got us promoted. As DOF he came in with the club on its knees and was an integral part of the group that got us out of NL.

Some people are obsessed with there being someone to blame. When they go they then find someone else to blame. Other people hold grudges from the start and refuse to change their mind, then blame people based on the grudge. When Ling goes there will be a new target for blame. It's just the way it is.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:24 pm

Some people are obsessed with there being someone to blame. When they go they then find someone else to blame. Other people hold grudges from the start and refuse to change their mind, then blame people based on the grudge. When Ling goes there will be a new target for blame. It's just the way it is.
Since results have gone backwards Macklin has also received some vile abuse, some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

How many times.

It’s not hatred to think someone isn’t very good at their job or even that their job isn’t necessary, even detrimental.