Russia / Ukraine Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Russia / Ukraine Watch

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:32 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:01 pm "Nazi-riddled Ukrainian national guard"

:roll:

Just another useful idiot.
It is a fact that elements of fascist militias have been integrated into the army. True or not?
Oh come on. Every military will contain fascist nut jobs. This whole nazi trope regarding Ukrainians is being pushed by the Kremlin, and it's telling to spot who is lapping it up and spreading it. Show me an Eastern European army that does not comprise fascist elements, including Russia's.

And just what is the implications behind that idiots "hot take" in his tweet? We either support Ukraine or we leave them to Putin. He seems to be suggesting the latter.

This isn't just about Ukraine. This is about the potential destruction of the post-war European peace settlement, and will have massive implications. People really don't get how much this is going to change things. But so long as f*ckwad up there gets to sneeringly signal his anti-facist credentials without any appreciation of what is at stake, I guess that's what's most important.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:17 pm

It is a fact that elements of fascist militias have been integrated into the army. True or not?
Oh come on. Every military will contain fascist nut jobs. This whole nazi trope regarding Ukrainians is being pushed by the Kremlin, and it's telling to spot who is lapping it up and spreading it. Show me an Eastern European army that does not comprise fascist elements, including Russia's.

And just what is the implications behind that idiots "hot take" in his tweet? We either support Ukraine or we leave them to Putin. He seems to be suggesting the latter.

This isn't just about Ukraine. This is about the potential destruction of the post-war European peace settlement, and will have massive implications. People really don't get how much this is going to change things. But so long as f*ckwad up there gets to sneeringly signal his anti-facist credentials without any appreciation of what is at stake, I guess that's what's most important.
Yes, yes I get all that useful idiot stuff and the implications of war.

But you didn't answer my question which I will repeat. Have fascist militias been integrated into the regular military? BTW asking the question does not mean I'm taking one side or the other on this issue.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Thanks for writing what I couldn't be arsed to
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If Ukraine promised to stay neutral and not join NATO then I think this crisis would blow over .
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:40 pm If Ukraine promised to stay neutral and not join NATO then I think this crisis would blow over .
Even if that is the case, why should they?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:22 pm

But you didn't answer my question which I will repeat. Have fascist militias been integrated into the regular military? BTW asking the question does not mean I'm taking one side or the other on this issue.
You already know the answer to that question, which makes me question your reason for asking it. Especially if you genuinely get the point I tried to make.

But I'll play along and answer what is clearly a loaded question that furthers a false narrative being constructed by the Kremlin as a pretext for war that may result in the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent people: yes, facist militia have been integrated into the regular military.

No, I don't like that either. But then I guess it's easier for armchair commentators to be picky about who they stand alongside when not faced with potential annihilation.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:40 pm If Ukraine promised to stay neutral and not join NATO then I think this crisis would blow over .
It would only delay the inevitable. Putin wants to re-establish the Russian Empire.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

That would be the end of Ukraine as a sovereign nation in control of its foreign and security policies. And then Poland and the Baltic states would be next. A line has to be drawn.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:44 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:22 pm

You already know the answer to that question, which makes me question your reason for asking it. Especially if you genuinely get the point I tried to make.

But I'll play along and answer what is clearly a loaded question that furthers a false narrative being constructed by the Kremlin as a pretext for war that may result in the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent people: yes, facist militia have been integrated into the regular military.

No, I don't like that either. But then I guess it's easier for armchair commentators to be picky about who they stand alongside when not faced with potential annihilation.
I'm questioning your reason for not answering it every bit as much as you are questioning my reason for asking it. But hey ho you did answer in the end and an uncomfortable fact has been established. I'm not trying to further a false narrative. Facts are important in a propaganda war.

When the war starts many innocent people will die on both sides and even from my armchair I find that abhorrent.

Everything should be done to avoid war and like I said yesterday full economic and political pressure needs to be brought to bear by the UK, US and the EU. Putin can be isolated through freezing Russian assets in the UK, trade sanctions, etc. At the same time military assistance can continue to bolster the Ukrainian army.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:48 pm

That would be the end of Ukraine as a sovereign nation in control of its foreign and security policies. And then Poland and the Baltic states would be next. A line has to be drawn.
Some realpolitik is required. Sometimes sovereign nations don't get to antagonise their neighbours and allow NATO to expand their sphere of influence.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:04 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Some realpolitik is required. Sometimes sovereign nations don't get to antagonise their neighbours and allow NATO to expand their sphere of influence.
I agree. Ukraine would have done well to have observed and adopted the approach taken thus far by Sweden and Finland. But here we are.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:43 pm
To prevent war and a catastrophic loss of life.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:45 pm
It would only delay the inevitable. Putin wants to re-establish the Russian Empire.
For that to happen Putin would have to invade NATO members Latvia , Estonia and Liechtenstein.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:24 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:43 pm
To prevent war and a catastrophic loss of life.
Barmy.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The emerging reality tonight is that Russia has made its choice; it's war.

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:18 pm The emerging reality tonight is that Russia has made its choice; it's war.

Looks like the military industrial complex of the leading permanent arms nation needs the dough.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Jesus f*cking H Christ.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:30 pm Jesus f*cking H Christ.
Whaaat? There's nothing like a war in Europe to rebuild the capital of the permanent arms economy of the US.

You bang on about geo politics all the time but never touch on the dynamics of the economic system that drives it.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Love this

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Is it going to change things more than in 2014?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:21 am

Yes. Massively.

To be fair, 2014 should have been the moment that NATO and other allies united and responded.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

From 23/12/2021

Parking missiles on our porch .

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:33 pm From 23/12/2021

Parking missiles on our porch .

Putin's not wrong. NATO is on their front lawn, and if Russia were in Mexico, the yanks wouldn't be too happy
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

If Russia is annoyed by having weapons next door and insist on a buffer zone between them and NATO

Why are they planning on expanding West?
Last edited by Currywurst and Chips on Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:54 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:21 am

Yes. Massively.
Why?