Winter Olympics medal at last

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Winter Olympics medal at last

Post by BIGRON »

GB men in the curling final 👏👏👏🥌🥌🥌🥌
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Winter Olympics medal at last

Post by Clive Evans »

Karma as Jocks beat Loudmouth Yanks. I hope the Yanks get nought from their next match!
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Yaay, either silver or gold to come in the indoor road sweeping.

I noticed that the Yanks skip was proving how badass he was with his tats and all, by having a broom handle with skull and crossbones on it :lol:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

All of the stones used were made from Granite from the Ailsa Craig. An island situated 10 miles off the coast of premier Scotch seaside resort Girvan.

More fun facts tomorrow.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

I reckon that little Scot's Nationalist Lady will be pretty mad when she realises that all the Olympic Medals won under the GB umbrella, will have been won by Scots!!!!
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KC & sunshine band »

cant wait for the freestyle hair straightener's to start
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Watched the bobsleigh the other day. Fancy a bit of that I do.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I see the drug cheat Russian girl f*cked up in the figure skating. Good. She has a touch of the Holly Steel's about her.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Dennis The Menace said:- Watched the bobsleigh the other day. Fancy a bit of that I do.

I say :- I hope you don't have an English driver or you would do the course on your head.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

There is an interesting article on Wengen in Wikepedia. It seems that whilst the natives used skis for fetching their shopping etc, it was the British who invented the idea of skiing as a competitive sport. I quote:-In the early 20th century, British tourists started ski-clubs in the area, beginning in the nearby village of Mürren. By 1903 Wengen had an Anglican Church and two years later, Sir Henry Lunn formed the Public Schools Alpine Sports Club with Wengen as a destination ski area for the members. A British Methodist minister, Lunn first visited the area to organize a meeting of Protestant churches in nearby Grindelwald where he learned about winter sports such as skiing. He returned to the area in 1896 with his son Arnold, who quickly learned to ski, and both father and son realized the potential in the future of winter sports. The club was established a few years later. Members of the Public Schools Alpine Sports Club were required to have attended an English public school or one of the "older universities". Wengen's Curling Club was established in 1911.
Johnny Foreigner has a lot to thank us Brits for. Shame we don't win many medals in all the sports we regulated for them. There wasn't much riff raff doing the sports in those days.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

This isn't going to sound great but when I worked in London I hated the wanky Ruperts at the office who banged on about the ski season,it's resorts, drinking games and fondue sets. Thanks to Clive I now know why and that my instincts, as always, were correct.

I hear that a new magazine for skiers called "Ski Khunts : the magazine for khunts who ski" will be out soon.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Clive Evans wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:34 pm There is an interesting article on Wengen in Wikepedia. It seems that whilst the natives used skis for fetching their shopping etc, it was the British who invented the idea of skiing as a competitive sport. I quote:-In the early 20th century, British tourists started ski-clubs in the area, beginning in the nearby village of Mürren. By 1903 Wengen had an Anglican Church and two years later, Sir Henry Lunn formed the Public Schools Alpine Sports Club with Wengen as a destination ski area for the members. A British Methodist minister, Lunn first visited the area to organize a meeting of Protestant churches in nearby Grindelwald where he learned about winter sports such as skiing. He returned to the area in 1896 with his son Arnold, who quickly learned to ski, and both father and son realized the potential in the future of winter sports. The club was established a few years later. Members of the Public Schools Alpine Sports Club were required to have attended an English public school or one of the "older universities". Wengen's Curling Club was established in 1911.
Johnny Foreigner has a lot to thank us Brits for. Shame we don't win many medals in all the sports we regulated for them. There wasn't much riff raff doing the sports in those days.
Another sport the Brits gave the world to be better at .
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Is it just a select few like me who’ve been enjoying the Ice Conkers more than they should be?
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Stowaway:- I am stuck at home with leg encased in plaster. The skiers send me to sleep as do the snowboarders. Curling is fascinating and soothing. I fancy taking it up. But knowing my luck I would drop a lump of Ailsa Craig on me big toe!
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Clive Evans wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:34 pm
Sadly, it's been downhill ever since.
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Who cares
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:00 pm All of the stones used were made from Granite from the Ailsa Craig. An island situated 10 miles off the coast of premier Scotch seaside resort Girvan.

More fun facts tomorrow.
Another fun fact.

As you drive along the coast towards the premier Scotch seaside resort of Girvan, if you can't see Ailsa Craig, it means it's raining. If you can see Ailsa Craig, it means it's about to rain.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I have a confession to make: I rather quite like the figure skating.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

StillSpike wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:43 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:00 pm All of the stones used were made from Granite from the Ailsa Craig. An island situated 10 miles off the coast of premier Scotch seaside resort Girvan.

More fun facts tomorrow.
Another fun fact.

As you drive along the coast towards the premier Scotch seaside resort of Girvan, if you can't see Ailsa Craig, it means it's raining. If you can see Ailsa Craig, it means it's about to rain.
Fun fact No 3

When you drive along the coast towards the premier Scotch seaside resort of Girvan, often referred to as the jewel in the crown of the Ayrshire Riviera, and look out toward the Ailsa Craig in the month of July one will see many potato fields located between the road and the sea

These fields yield the best tasting free Ayrshire tatties you are ever likely to taste in your life.

Note: it is best to park up at the golf club and approach the fields on foot from the beach. Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances approach from the roadside in your vehicle unless you can evade the over protective and unwilling to share fermers.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Some people suggest that Ayrshire tatties are superior to even the great Jersey Royal. I'd imagine they taste even better if snaffled for free.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

I am so happy for you :D :lol: :D

(we have 29 medals)
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:27 pm

More fun facts tomorrow.
Another fun fact.

Fun fact No 3

When you drive along the coast towards the premier Scotch seaside resort of Girvan, often referred to as the jewel in the crown of the Ayrshire Riviera, and look out toward the Ailsa Craig in the month of July one will see many potato fields located between the road and the sea

These fields yield the best tasting free Ayrshire tatties you are ever likely to taste in your life.

Note: it is best to park up at the golf club and approach the fields on foot from the beach. Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances approach from the roadside in your vehicle unless you can evade the over protective and unwilling to share fermers.
You seem to know a lot about this part of the world Max. Were you born in these parts? My Dad was born just up the road in Maybole. As a lad, I remember going out on a boat trip to Ailsa Craig possibly from Girvan to get a close up view of it. And totally agree about Ayrshire new tatties. Nothing like them!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Highwood Man wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:36 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:27 pm

Another fun fact.

Fun fact No 3

You seem to know a lot about this part of the world Max. Were you born in these parts? My Dad was born just up the road in Maybole. As a lad, I remember going out on a boat trip to Ailsa Craig possibly from Girvan to get a close up view of it. And totally agree about Ayrshire new tatties. Nothing like them!
From 1971 to 1974 our family had a caravan in Girvan and we spent all of the school summer holidays, weekends, Easter hols etc there.

In those days it was a bustling, vibrant town with all sorts of things to keep kids occupied. Sports days at the Victory Park, The New Seekers at the Beach Pavillion football, swimming putting competitions, organised games on the beach, fishing, golf, hill walking, staging raids on the penny falls machine at the amusements in cahoots with some local kids. It was a site to behold. Two kids would bump the machine and 4 others would grab the coins as they dropped and leg it as the owner tried to get out from behind the change kiosk and chase us. It was carried out with all the precision of a bank raid.

I used to hang around the harbour in the afternoon when the fishing boats arrived and help the fishermen load new boxes onto the boat and was rewarded with a couple of fish which I took round to the back door of the Chinese restaurant and sold to buy fishing tackle or sweets or a cheap ornament that said "Girvan" on it as a gift for my gran. I got them all back when she died.

So yes I know the area quite well and still go there on day trips. Last summer me and Mrs Eva Gold were there 6 times sunning ourselves on the beach as I swam in the sea and tried to catch the flounders just like I did almost 45 years ago. One of the few things the town still has going for it is that the Furstenbergs in Asda are usually around 10p a bottle cheaper than Asda in Binwood or Morrisons.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Dunners wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:10 pm I see the drug cheat Russian girl f*cked up in the figure skating. Good. She has a touch of the Holly Steel's about her.
She should not be competing but I feel sorry for her. Does she really know what the cheats around her are putting in her body? A victim of the Russian doping system IMO.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Can't see rhe women making the curling final 🤔