Club announcement re Racist comments

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Club announcement re Racist comments

Post by tuffers#1 »

Is he still LOFTS representative ?

Surely they need to talk to him
Or is it like Boris
54 letters needed ?
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:53 pm Is he still LOFTS representative ?

He is indeed still a board member of LOFT, as am I. We've discussed little else since Saturday evening, both with and without him as appropriate (obviously he's recused from any LOFT response/actions in this matter).

As such, I've just put something on our Twitter account, in response to his post of yesterday afternoon: "The rest of the LOFT Board expresses its full support for Mat. He has been a highly-valued board member for nearly 6 years after being an external director, none of his actions or interactions in that time reflect what he was accused of."
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:04 am

He is indeed still a board member of LOFT, as am I. We've discussed little else since Saturday evening, both with and without him as appropriate (obviously he's recused from any LOFT response/actions in this matter).

As such, I've just put something on our Twitter account, in response to his post of yesterday afternoon: "The rest of the LOFT Board expresses its full support for Mat. He has been a highly-valued board member for nearly 6 years after being an external director, none of his actions or interactions in that time reflect what he was accused of."
Do you support general abuse aimed at the opposition?
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

I do like to remind the opposition coaching staff quite vocally to stay in the technical area, when they go wandering off to the side of the pitch. Not to mention reminding the 4th official equally vocally to do their job in keeping them there. Pretty sure I've called various players over the years "dirty b*stards" for any number of dreadful challenges, and I've lost count of how much colourful language I've directed towards appalling standards of refereeing over the years.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:07 pm I do like to remind the opposition coaching staff quite vocally to stay in the technical area, when they go wandering off to the side of the pitch. Not to mention reminding the 4th official equally vocally to do their job in keeping them there. Pretty sure I've called various players over the years "dirty b*stards" for any number of dreadful challenges, and I've lost count of how much colourful language I've directed towards appalling standards of refereeing over the years.
Its all coming out now. Anything else you would like to confess to?

Ps what is an "external director"?
Last edited by Max B Gold on Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Entertaining as aspects of this may have been, it's also been extremely unedifying. There's a version taking hold that Andrews confected the claim out of pure spite - and the danger with this is that it makes more accurate future claims (and sadly, we all know there will be many) less likely to be believed or to be taken seriously. Much more likely is that Andrews misheard something in the hubbub and genuinely believed something racial was included in the (undisputed) abuse.

Plus, it's a bit much for Mr R***r to claim that he is 100% opposed to all forms of hate crime, isn't it?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:07 pm I do like to remind the opposition coaching staff quite vocally to stay in the technical area, when they go wandering off to the side of the pitch. Not to mention reminding the 4th official equally vocally to do their job in keeping them there. Pretty sure I've called various players over the years "dirty b*stards" for any number of dreadful challenges, and I've lost count of how much colourful language I've directed towards appalling standards of refereeing over the years.
Personally dont get riled by people wandering out of their area.

Theres a difference between your example in red and sitting near the technical area, standing up and shouting things that you know they'll hear.

I find it all a bit embarrassing really. I find the stance you have taken surprising when you consider the knee and all the abuse those in football take.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Personally dont get riled by people wandering out of their area.
TBF you forgot that he is A Pedant
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am We're hearing from a lot of people about what definitely wasnt said.

But nothing about what was said. Curious.
I was thinking that. If loads of people were booing/generally aggy at the time they would have been focussed on themselves rather than what someone was saying. Plus it would have been noisy so easy to not hear anything among that.

Looks like The Orient Hour will be needing s new guest too.
Indeed. While someone noisily attracts attention to themselves, a much more serious issue is being overlooked...
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

none of his actions or interactions in that time reflect what he was accused of

Can't help thinking that this is a bit Johnsonian, he was at the ground and "interacted" with the opposition bench but none of that "interaction" was racist!
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 pm Its all coming out now. Anything else you would like to confess to?

Well, there was that time 30-odd years ago that I got chucked out of Stoke's ground for chucking a till roll on the pitch (during the paper chucking craze). Still got the ejection notice filed away. :D

External directors for a society are like non-execs in a company. We've usually co-opted people to represent the wider fanbase/area, the Orientear editor (whoever that has been) has been one such for a number of years, currently Pete Ranger. Mat started off as another as Panda editor, we've had someone from the Supporters club committee at various points (currently Linda Broughan) and also the local MP.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 pm
I think it was a typo. Matt is a renowned exterior decorator.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

I am sure that no racist behaviour was used but OFF is a bit of an embarassment often calling out players young enough to be his son. Hope he reels in the abuse
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Lifelongfan wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm I am sure that no racist behaviour was used but OFF is a bit of an embarassment often calling out players young enough to be his son. Hope he reels in the abuse
Many would agree.

But LOFT have been through this before and have decided they don’t have an issue with offensive, abusive behaviour towards the opposition or referees, or at least are prepared to accept it. The club themselves have also come to the same conclusion given they haven’t taken action previously.

This sort of thing was inevitable.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Pretty sure when most L2 clubs heard that a player was verbally abused by some old, balding bloke that sits near the away dug out at Orient they were all like, yeah, not surprised, know who you mean.

That’s not a good look.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Lifelongfan wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm I am sure that no racist behaviour was used but OFF is a bit of an embarassment often calling out players young enough to be his son. Hope he reels in the abuse
His Son is just as vocal
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I've been pretty vocal myself over the years. Mainly aimed at lino's and ref's these days when they get decisions badly wrong. I fully accept that passions can run high (not so much lately though....). However, the lengths that Mat goes to are extreme, IMO. He will run up to the opposition bench and scream abuse directly in the face of their players and staff. I don't think this can really be condoned and I'm disappointed in the response from LOFT. You've been forced to make a call on this by Mat's continuous ridiculous behaviour - he's not 17 any more. I think you've lost credibility by "expressing full support for Mat". By all means say that you're pleased that there is no evidence of any racist comments but "full support" is unwarranted and not, I believe, a stance that most fans would agree with.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

OFF no longer runs up to the opposition bench. Wonder if he has been warned not to. He just bellows from his seat
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm By all means say that you're pleased that there is no evidence of any racist comments but "full support" is unwarranted and not, I believe, a stance that most fans would agree with.
20-odd years of being on the board of a fans' group has taught me not to suppose that what I think is what most fans think.

Personally I think it would be weird not to give our full support to a fellow board member when we've not seen even the tiniest hint of racism in anything he's said or done over the years on behalf of LOFT (a proudly anti-racist fan group, don't forget). If anyone wants to go all "grr, LOFT" over this, knock yourselves out.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Not going to prolong this, but it seems strange that a board member of the Leyton Orient Fans Trust, is unconcerned that his views don't tally with most of the, ahem, Fans.

Also, poor that a reasoned criticism is just regarded as just a fan going all "grr, Loft". This sounds a tad distant and arrogant. You're not doing yourselves any favours here.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We’ve been here before. Loft have made their call a long time ago.

So long as nothing racist is said, general abuse of the opposition management and playing staff is acceptable.

I don’t agree, you might not agree, but there’s no point taking over their call on this again.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

But it would be interesting to know what exactly was said.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Story of O wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:32 pm
His Son is just as vocal
This just does not get any better.

NT needs to have a word about future conduct to prevent another incident. It looks so bad for a community club to be accused in the way it was.

Of course the allegation was refuted and many witnesses came forward to assist with the refutation. However, the situation could have been easily avoided.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:40 pm
BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm By all means say that you're pleased that there is no evidence of any racist comments but "full support" is unwarranted and not, I believe, a stance that most fans would agree with.
20-odd years of being on the board of a fans' group has taught me not to suppose that what I think is what most fans think.

Personally I think it would be weird not to give our full support to a fellow board member when we've not seen even the tiniest hint of racism in anything he's said or done over the years on behalf of LOFT (a proudly anti-racist fan group, don't forget). If anyone wants to go all "grr, LOFT" over this, knock yourselves out.
In 2022, are you not concerned about abuse in football at all?
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm

I've been pretty vocal myself over the years. Mainly aimed at lino's and ref's these days when they get decisions badly wrong. I fully accept that passions can run high (not so much lately though....). However, the lengths that Mat goes to are extreme, IMO. He will run up to the opposition bench and scream abuse directly in the face of their players and staff. I don't think this can really be condoned and I'm disappointed in the response from LOFT. You've been forced to make a call on this by Mat's continuous ridiculous behaviour - he's not 17 any more. I think you've lost credibility by "expressing full support for Mat". By all means say that you're pleased that there is no evidence of any racist comments but "full support" is unwarranted and not, I believe, a stance that most fans would agree with.
100% agree