‘Replacing 34 league goals will be far from an easy task’

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BrendO
Fresh Alias

‘Replacing 34 league goals will be far from an easy task’

Post by BrendO »

New piece on the difficulty The O's face in trying to replace Macauley Bonne and Josh Koroma. https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/07/01/rep ... n-opinion/
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: ‘Replacing 34 league goals will be far from an easy task’

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Agree in general. As a sideways view to this, we need more goals from Midfield as well.

Last season our centre backs scored about 14 goals from defenders.

We got 15 from midfielders including 5 of those from Jobi, who probably wont play as much.

I'm sure the defenders will chip in but I dont think its realistic that your 3rd and 4th top goalscorer are centre backs again. We definitely need a striker or two who can bang in 15 goals but we also need a lot more from our midfielders.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

I don't see there being a problem. A good penalty taker, maybe.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am I don't see there being a problem. A good penalty taker, maybe.
Out of interest, where do you see our goals coming from? Wilkinson and ?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

BrendO wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am New piece on the difficulty The O's face in trying to replace Macauley Bonne and Josh Koroma. https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/07/01/rep ... n-opinion/
We don't necessarily need to replace 34 league goals though. We can still achieve stability with a front two scoring 20-25 goals between them if other forwards and players also contribute. And we're coming off a season where the League Two winner's two highest scoring forwards scored 25 league goals between them.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 am Agree in general. As a sideways view to this, we need more goals from Midfield as well.

We got 15 from midfielders including 5 of those from Jobi, who probably wont play as much.

I'm sure the defenders will chip in but I dont think its realistic that your 3rd and 4th top goalscorer are centre backs again. We definitely need a striker or two who can bang in 15 goals but we also need a lot more from our midfielders.
Having defenders score that many goals tends to suggest that we are good at set pieces. Also the fact that we converted so many of them says were good at them, that's something to be happy about.

If they score 14 goals again I'll be a happy man. A winning team scores goals across the pitch, we did that last season. I agree midfield could score more, but as long as we are scoring it don't really matter where they come from.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Thor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 am Agree in general. As a sideways view to this, we need more goals from Midfield as well.

Having defenders score that many goals tends to suggest that we are good at set pieces. Also the fact that we converted so many of them says were good at them, that's something to be happy about.

If they score 14 goals again I'll be a happy man. A winning team scores goals across the pitch, we did that last season. I agree midfield could score more, but as long as we are scoring it don't really matter where they come from.
Agree with all your points, but that amount of goals, a league higher (with better defending of set-peices) probably isn't going to be repeatable and therefore we cannot rely on those goals as much.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

You make a good point there. Maybe we should have signed the replacements before announcing the departures. Probably not an easy trick to pull off though.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 am
Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am I don't see there being a problem. A good penalty taker, maybe.
Angol.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Having thought about it, Wilkinson and Angol, if he signs, are decent enough replacements. Sure I’d prefer Bonne and Koroma but not our choice. Our new front two could well contribute 25 goals, providing decent service and with midfield and defenders chipping in there will be goals in the team and importantly from many different players.

Defensively we look solid and providing a boost in midfield we are more than capable of edging low scoring games, enough to keep us clear of the zone.

Our core squad looks solid enough, not for promotion but to provide a comfortable mid to upper table position. Bit thin on depth so at the mercy of injuries and suspensions, which if the risk.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Angol has signed.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

We need goals from Dayton and chuckles out on the other wing, Brophy. I know one was injured a lot and the other out of position on occasions but their stats for assists and goals is horrible.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm We need goals from Dayton and chuckles out on the other wing, Brophy. I know one was injured a lot and the other out of position on occasions but their stats for assists and goals is horrible.
Brophy particularly. Little to no end product most of the time.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am
BrendO wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am New piece on the difficulty The O's face in trying to replace Macauley Bonne and Josh Koroma. https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/07/01/rep ... n-opinion/
We don't necessarily need to replace 34 league goals though. We can still achieve stability with a front two scoring 20-25 goals between them if other forwards and players also contribute. And we're coming off a season where the League Two winner's two highest scoring forwards scored 25 league goals between them.
Our midfield doesn't score goals though, that was the problem last year and Wright doesn't really change that. He might add a couple but not a significant number.

Coulson and Ekpiteta were our most dangerous players outside of Bonne and Koroma, which says a lot.

Angol and Wilkinson are two in for the two out. Now for the replacements for Simpson and Alabi. Still no competition for starting spots as it stands, one more striker needs to come in, as well as that vital CM.
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

Brophy is not a natural goal scorer but his pace at this level will always be a threat to any opposing defenders.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dayton is probably our best deliver of a ball into the box. Got a load of assists in his first season before injury but struggled loads at the start of last year. I still back him (if he signs that is)
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

We haven't finished adding to our midfield/rest of the squad yet though. There is also JMD to consider - he will get goals for us. And as has been said elsewhere, obtaining a third forward to add competition hopefully means we benefit from having a competing set of forwards who can get goals instead of the almost total reliance on the two that started the majority of games for us last season.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I think we still need another 2 or 3 players. Another striker, a central midfielder and possibly another winger.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm We need goals from Dayton and chuckles out on the other wing, Brophy. I know one was injured a lot and the other out of position on occasions but their stats for assists and goals is horrible.
This, only leopards don't change their spots. When Dayton got injured we went to playing from back to front and our football became more bland - and it may be my imagination but we scored fewer goals too.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm Dayton is probably our best deliver of a ball into the box. Got a load of assists in his first season before injury but struggled loads at the start of last year. I still back him (if he signs that is)
Things have gone quiet on Dayton. Has he signed his new contract yet.? 🤔
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

With three forwards now contracted - we could get a season long loan on a young striker from say a championship club ?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm I think we still need another 2 or 3 players. Another striker, a central midfielder and possibly another winger.
I bet it's never for one second crossed the management team's mind that we need another two or three players - we're doomed!
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

LOFC1948 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm With three forwards now contracted - we could get a season long loan on a young striker from say a championship club ?
We've now got four forwards contracted unless Harrold hasn't signed his one year offer? On that basis I guess we could get a loan in until we can get Alabi off the payroll.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 am
Yes, Wilkinson and Angol. And maybe Josh Wright. I think he scored 10or11 for Gillingham a few seasons back?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

I think JMD will get double figures for us this season
If Clay & Brophy can knick 4 or 5 each & jobi gets half a dozen , that with a decent haul form the backline would leave the forwards to score 25+ between them to leave us mid table minimum.

If the 4 forwards we have manage a dozen goals as an average , id say wed be bang in the mix for play-offs & promotion.
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.