The Tories - financially prudent in government?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: The Tories - financially prudent in government?

Post by Dohnut »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:44 pm
Real Al wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:25 pm
Thor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:53 pm Shall we talk about how we have the most people employed in this country ever? Jobs created by companies working off of the back of the infrastructure, policies and direction provided by government.
Hmm, while that is good news, reduction in unemployment is pretty much a trend across the G7 and elsewhere. Not sure our government's policies can take too much credit.
Then look at the economic numbers and compare those with others. They stand up pretty well, very well in fact. As do future projections. Went under the radar but last quarterly economic growth exceeded estimates and better than our European neighbours.

But good news is no news these day. But it’s out there amongst the bad stuff.

Just had a quick look at employment data, will study a bit closer, but it seems that only the Netherlands has better figures than the U.K. but a quick look so I stand to be corrected. Data seem a bit retrospective so the shift you mention could well be right. But I doubt there is much in it. I suppose it could be said we are doing as well/badly as others.

Looks like the U.K. has an employment rate of 75.5%. The EU average Has not exceeded this based on data going back to 2009. And as of 1st quarter 2021 numbers were in decline.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm We have more foodbanks than branches of McDonalds. We're clearly doing brilliantly, economically speaking. (i.e. being economical with the truth)
That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Real Al wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:25 pm

Hmm, while that is good news, reduction in unemployment is pretty much a trend across the G7 and elsewhere. Not sure our government's policies can take too much credit.
Then look at the economic numbers and compare those with others. They stand up pretty well, very well in fact. As do future projections. Went under the radar but last quarterly economic growth exceeded estimates and better than our European neighbours.

Just had a quick look at employment data, will study a bit closer, but it seems that only the Netherlands has better figures than the U.K. but a quick look so I stand to be corrected. Data seem a bit retrospective so the shift you mention could well be right. But I doubt there is much in it. I suppose it could be said we are doing as well/badly as others.

Looks like the U.K. has an employment rate of 75.5%. The EU average Has not exceeded this based on data going back to 2009. And as of 1st quarter 2021 numbers were in decline.
The EU is a busted flush and we are better off out of it which once we get out of this endemic the better it will be for all in society, well let’s hope that’s one truth that Boris speaks of come true.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am
Dohnut wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 pm

The EU is a busted flush and we are better off out of it which once we get out of this endemic the better it will be for all in society, well let’s hope that’s one truth that Boris speaks of come true.
But he's a big fat liar. Why should we believe anything he says or you for that matter.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Cos I’m right on Europe and I hope that Boris is telling the truth so that levelling up means exactly that. He will be held to account on it.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:06 am
StillSpike wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm We have more foodbanks than branches of McDonalds. We're clearly doing brilliantly, economically speaking. (i.e. being economical with the truth)
That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
How long have the Tories been in power?

Have foodbanks become much more common place during their tenure?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 am Cos I’m right on Europe and I hope that Boris is telling the truth so that levelling up means exactly that. He will be held to account on it.
Please show the facts that prove you're "right on Europe" - TIA
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 am Cos I’m right on Europe and I hope that Boris is telling the truth so that levelling up means exactly that. He will be held to account on it.
Prove you are right on Brexit.

List the many benefits.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I found a benefit. With so many lorries parked up they won't be spewing their filthy diesel fumes into the environment.

one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:41 am I found a benefit. With so many lorries parked up they won't be spewing their filthy diesel fumes into the environment.

As much as I hate the Tories and Brexit this particular queue is due to DFDS running one less ferry.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

one o in huntingdon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:41 am I found a benefit. With so many lorries parked up they won't be spewing their filthy diesel fumes into the environment.

As much as I hate the Tories and Brexit this particular queue is due to DFDS running one less ferry.
Can you prove that?
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

On BBC website
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:08 pm

Can you prove that?
Just have to take my word about the Tories etc.
Here is the BBC report on the traffic jam https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-60096001
Is that ok m'lud?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

one o in huntingdon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Can you prove that?
Here is the BBC report on the traffic jam https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-60096001
Is that ok m'lud?
Oh come on chief. The BBC are just an extension of the Tories press office these days.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:50 pm
one o in huntingdon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Can you prove that?
Is that ok m'lud?
Oh come on chief. The BBC are just an extension of the Tories press office these days.
Just happens to be true that DFDS are carrying out work on one of their ferries.
Nothing to do with reporting bias, just the way it is
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

How many lorries do they get on one of their ferries ?
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

StillSpike wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:56 pm How many lorries do they get on one of their ferries ?
Think its about 180, so quite a lot really
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
Its almost as if our neoliberal system just doesn’t work for everyone.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:38 pm
That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
No system works for everyone. But by every metric, the last 70 years have been the best time to exist for anyone relative to their ancestors at any point in history.

But that era does appear to be over. I just don't think you're going to like what comes after. You may yet look back at the neoliberal era as the good old days.
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

Dunners wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm

That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Sir Tony Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
No system works for everyone. But by every metric, the last 70 years have been the best time to exist for anyone relative to their ancestors at any point in history.

But that era does appear to be over. I just don't think you're going to like what comes after. You may yet look back at the neoliberal era as the good old days.
Or maybe begin to think that maybe Corbyn's vision had actually shown us the best possible way forward?
"For the many - not the few!"
When mentioning the last 70 years, this is also about being part of Europe - and all the connections, joint endeavours and co-operation this had brought!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

I think youll find food parcel sharing has been going long before Blair .

Here is photo proof from Th*tchers Britain as an example .

https://www.alamy.com/miners-strike-198 ... 23816.html
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dunners wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm

That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Sir Tony Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.

Ain’t that the truth, shame some others on here can’t see what’s happening right in front of their eyes.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 am
That’s a blight to society of that I agree. It started under Sir Tony Sir Tony Blair and has got worse as time has progressed. Why successive governments allow this to happen is in my eyes criminal.
I think youll find food parcel sharing has been going long before Sir Tony Blair .

That was one specific event Tuffers not everyday like it is now.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:40 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 am

I think youll find food parcel sharing has been going long before Sir Tony Sir Tony Blair .

That was one specific event Tuffers not everyday like it is now.
A single event that lasted a Year .

Didnt Mr Corbyn want to cl9se Food banks & make sure everyone had enough money to live on ?
Trouble is the Public decided to vote against it .