London road pricing

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: London road pricing

Post by Dunners »

In my borough the council have done a lot to develop cycling networks and to adopt LTNs. It's fair to say that it's exposed a real social and cultural divide.

The middle-class luvvies are all for it, as they cycle with their kids in those tow-along trailers in their knitted vegan jumpers to their nearest organic coffee bar for some tofu yoghurt. The dads all have beards, carry a new-born baby in a front pouch and wear action sandals. The mums all have some allotment veg in the front basket and talk loudly to the toddlers as if they're in their 40s. And the toddlers all have dirty faces, long unkempt hair and behavioural problems.

And then there's the traditional local chavs and ethnic groups who are either on benefits and/or working in low pay jobs trying to get by and support seven kids. As a treat they decide to drive the family to the local Nandos only to find all the side streets are closed off so they're forced to sit in traffic for hours. By the time they get through, Nandos has shut, so they go off home but arrive too late to watch And & Dec so all huddle round a microwave as it nukes their frozen pizza dinner for warmth and comfort instead.

It's f*cking great. I can sometimes sit there for hours watching it all go by.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 am

Didnt mention the outer boroughs.

And maybe think about the references you make to a Jewish person next time. Ta.
Sorry, which dictator/tyrant is your preferred?

Also, seems you dont mind mentioning him yourself viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6145&p=243923&hilit=hitler#p243923
Slightly weird defensive position to take, especially going to the effort of searching my posts for mentions of Hitler when called out on something that may be seen as offensive to a Jew.

Sorry would have done.
If you are going to be that sensitive on a forum, then don't post on a forum.
Type high
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Type high »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 am
Type high wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 am

Didnt mention the outer boroughs.

And maybe think about the references you make to a Jewish person next time. Ta.
Didn't know we had to declare our religion or race before postings.
We dont?
So why did you bring it up?
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am
Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 am
StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:00 am Did I dream it - or did I see a headline towards the end of last week saying that Londoners had been advised to reduce / avoid exercise last Friday because of particularly poor air quality?
The city's pollution is horrific, but there's a very vocal, belligerent minority who go ape ah*t about any moves towards tackling it, despite all the health impacts it has. Reality is most of the city is incredibly well served by public transport. I live in an outer London borough and have zero need for a car.

The next populist movement in this country is going to be about green issues. This sort of stuff gets tied up with job outsourcing so we meet net zero, energy tariffs to fund renewables, discouraging plane travel. All feeds into a 'dont tread on me' narrative that the right are very effective at capitalising on.
I live in an outer London borough and most journeys would be a massive pain without a car.
I wonder how the transport system would cope if we all stopped using our cars for a day. It’s fine doing this but money has to be spent on massive improvement to the system
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

All this anti car rhetoric is very detrimental to the car park economy :(
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Its a guaranteed vote loser, I guess he doesnt want a third term (if thats allowed?)
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Type high wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:05 am
Type high wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 am
Didn't know we had to declare our religion or race before postings.
We dont?
Same reason you probably brought up anti-semitism when Corbz was labour leader, probably.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 am

Sorry, which dictator/tyrant is your preferred?

Also, seems you dont mind mentioning him yourself viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6145&p=243923&hilit=hitler#p243923
Slightly weird defensive position to take, especially going to the effort of searching my posts for mentions of Hitler when called out on something that may be seen as offensive to a Jew.

Sorry would have done.
Good to know you can throw out Hitler references to Jews on here. Sorry for being so sensitive about relatives lost in the past to his orders.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Sorry for mentioning Hitler everyone. :(((
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Story of O wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am
Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 am

The city's pollution is horrific, but there's a very vocal, belligerent minority who go ape ah*t about any moves towards tackling it, despite all the health impacts it has. Reality is most of the city is incredibly well served by public transport. I live in an outer London borough and have zero need for a car.

The next populist movement in this country is going to be about green issues. This sort of stuff gets tied up with job outsourcing so we meet net zero, energy tariffs to fund renewables, discouraging plane travel. All feeds into a 'dont tread on me' narrative that the right are very effective at capitalising on.
I live in an outer London borough and most journeys would be a massive pain without a car.
I wonder how the transport system would cope if we all stopped using our cars for a day. It’s fine doing this but money has to be spent on massive improvement to the system
The pandemic has meant that public transport is under capacity at the moment and Crossrail will add a lot more capacity on top of that. We have one of the best public transport systems in the world in London, I wouldn't stress about people making the switch from using their cars. Getting people out of their vehicles is something that pretty much every city in the world is trying to achieve, car dominated cities are pretty miserable to live in and have all sorts of negative health, social, environmental,quality of life etc impacts.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm

Sorry would have done.
Good to know you can throw out Hitler references to Jews on here. Sorry for being so sensitive about relatives lost in the past to his orders.
As was pointed out, you have made references to the same. Glass houses and all that...
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:13 pm
As was pointed out, you have made references to the same. Glass houses and all that...
A Very different reference in the content of the 2 statements .
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

In the south and south east of london, they need to improve the transport infrastructure greatly to make this work.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am In my borough the council have done a lot to develop cycling networks and to adopt LTNs. It's fair to say that it's exposed a real social and cultural divide.

The middle-class luvvies are all for it, as they cycle with their kids in those tow-along trailers in their knitted vegan jumpers to their nearest organic coffee bar for some tofu yoghurt. The dads all have beards, carry a new-born baby in a front pouch and wear action sandals. The mums all have some allotment veg in the front basket and talk loudly to the toddlers as if they're in their 40s. And the toddlers all have dirty faces, long unkempt hair and behavioural problems.

And then there's the traditional local chavs and ethnic groups who are either on benefits and/or working in low pay jobs trying to get by and support seven kids. As a treat they decide to drive the family to the local Nandos only to find all the side streets are closed off so they're forced to sit in traffic for hours. By the time they get through, Nandos has shut, so they go off home but arrive too late to watch And & Dec so all huddle round a microwave as it nukes their frozen pizza dinner for warmth and comfort instead.

2/10. Exceptionally poor boardin’ there.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Oh come on, it’s scores more than 2 just for the inclusion of ‘action sandals’.

That’s a solid 8/10.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Any referencing to Hitler can be nothing but negative.

So when is a business meeting not a business meeting. When it involves wine.
When is a party not a party. When you wear a suit. :lol:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am In my borough the council have done a lot to develop cycling networks and to adopt LTNs. It's fair to say that it's exposed a real social and cultural divide.

From your table at Nandos? Clearly you have influence if you can secure a window seat.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:56 pm

From your table at Nandos? Clearly you have influence if you can secure a window seat.
Nah, I'm sat across the road in my local Italian restaurant. Pizza Hut.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm

youve obviously never been to a proper party . what your mutterings have to do with anything is anyones guess !
SvenO
Fresh Alias

Post by SvenO »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Hitler was very sucessful until he wasn't, in that respect its positive, in the balance of things not so good.
Type high
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Type high »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 am
Type high wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:05 am

We dont?
Same reason you probably brought up anti-semitism when Corbz was labour leader, probably.
I have never mentioned anti-semitism ever in regards to Jeremy Corblimy, or anyone else for that matter
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

It sounds like you live in my borough. I know what you mean about the middle class luvvies . If I had a tank I’d love to drive over a row of those fooking hybrid bikes which look like a cross between a bike and a wheelbarrow. The middle class in my area come across as very entitled and leave their old crap outside their houses for the local peasants to take.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:15 am

It sounds like you live in my borough. I know what you mean about the middle class luvvies . If I had a tank I’d love to drive over a row of those fooking hybrid bikes which look like a cross between a bike and a wheelbarrow. The middle class in my area come across as very entitled and leave their old crap outside their houses for the local peasants to take.
The concise definition of Gammon ?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:15 am

The concise definition of Gammon ?
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I thought this was the Independent Leyton Orient Forum: my mistake it's the Daily Mail...